Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
That'll teach me to ever think there will be character growth and development for Bruce.

Sober

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't gotten through most of King's run, so I just spoiled myself. Maybe someone who's followed the run more intimately knows better but the spoiler sounds a bit like a cop out to keep Batman Batman instead of making him slightly different. He has a son, why can't he get married? (At least Superman got both).

That'll teach me to ever think there will be character growth and development for Bruce.
Sounds more like they took it out of his hands by having Selina to be the one who turns him down, despite Bruce's best intentions.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm shocked. SHOCKED.

Not that shocked. Comic marriages never last. This one's just getting it out of the way before it even starts.

Pau

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't gotten through most of King's run, so I just spoiled myself. Maybe someone who's followed the run more intimately knows better but the spoiler sounds a bit like a cop out to keep Batman Batman instead of making him slightly different. He has a son, why can't he get married? (At least Superman got both).
He has multiple sons but yeah, it sounds like a cop out for just keeping shit the same. Not sure why I expected anything more.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Haven't liked his run at all so I don't really care but it sucks for the creative team and the people following the story.

Regarding the spoiler...
I'm glad. I always thought this was a bad idea.
Also...

Talia forever.
You fucked up Grant.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Gatorland
source.gif

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's a cape book

Any development he's going to get is just going to be reset in 6 months to a year anyways. It's the main reason I don't really read them anymore and when I do I don't really take anything going on very seriously.

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
I was expecting this outcome but I was still hoping that it wouldn't happen....

As a Batman fan this is disappointing.

Last edited:

Pau

Oct 25, 2017

Sounds more like they took it out of his hands by having Selina to be the one who turns him down, despite Bruce's best intentions.
It feels like Selina is supposed to speak for the audience in saying that Bruce can't be happy and still be Batman. It's still restricting a huge opportunity for Bruce's development. Who knows maybe we'll get a Bruce who can be happy or okay with his life without the marriage (which honestly I would agree with.) I would have just rather have had both. I feel we will get neither.

Sober

Oct 25, 2017
it's a cape book

Any development he's going to get is just going to be reset in 6 months to a year anyways. It's the main reason I don't really read them anymore and when I do I don't really take anything going on very seriously.
Runs are runs, sure, but King is supposed to be the golden boy comics writer at the moment. Either DC Editorial really didn't want to do it or it was the plan all along, which is a shame, cause I'm sure if King and everyone high up wanted to make Bat+Cat canon they would make it stick.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
King didn't want a demon to step in and erase the marriage after Alfred gets shot.

Pau

Oct 25, 2017
it's a cape book

Sure but at least I would get six months of stories with new situations, plots, themes, etc and ignore the next author's run if I don't like it. Instead of a retread of "Bruce can never grow beyond being an emotionally scarred and stunted eight year old."

Then again with how cyclical this shit is maybe we'll get another Bruce/Selina marriage storyline in ten years with a better conclusion.

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Runs are runs, sure, but King is supposed to be the golden boy comics writer at the moment. Either DC Editorial really didn't want to do it or it was the plan all along, which is a shame, cause I'm sure if King and everyone high up wanted to make Bat+Cat canon they would make it stick.
DC has been doing this same song and dance with the character for what, nearly 80 years now?

When Batman's been circling the block as a character more than 3x the time I've been alive I can't really take anything like this seriously, and I honestly feel a little bad for the people that did because they're only going to end up feeling like this in the end every single time.

The only difference here is it didn't take 6 months to happen and was just laid down immediately.

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
wow thats fucked

As a long time fan of Peter Parker and Mary Jane I offer my sympathies...

At least yall can get over it sooner

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it happened that's one thing, but the whole thing of "Bruce Wayne can never be happy" is so fucking old it's exhausting. We spent fifty issues going over all the good things in his life.

Knew it was happening in that issue with Selena and the Joker though, the minute they had that issue it was apparent they had that old tired cop out waiting in the wings.

This is why comics audience is going to die when the old heads die.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Just read the issue. I probably can't technically say more than that because embargo, but

It's super shitty for the NYT to spoil the issue and it's super shitty for DC editorial to never let Batman evolve ever. At least Tom King still has Mr. Miracle, unless he's forced to fuck that up too.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Wait this Catwomen and Batman marriage isn't this the one that DC has been hyping and promoting for months? Lmao I'd be pissed if I was a reader what's the point of promising something different just to take it away at the last second?

Oct 25, 2017
That synopsis sounds like lamest shit in the world. I mean Goddamn give it a go. I mean it's a comic eventually everything resets, but still.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
this is the company that killed superman
and then brought him back to life
and then killed everyone who was part of death and rebirth of superman
and brought them back to life
y'all really thought there would be a permanent change to batman that they wouldn't hit reset on?