Oct 22, 2020
New York Times: Trump administration officials passed when Pfizer offered in late summer to sell the U.S. more vaccine doses

New York Times said:
Trump administration officials passed when Pfizer offered in late summer to sell the U.S. government additional doses of its Covid-19 vaccine, according to people familiar with the matter. Now Pfizer may not be able provide more of its vaccine to the United States until next June because of its commitments to other countries, they said.

That included whether it would expand the U.S. supply of doses beyond what is spelled out in existing federal contracts.

The vaccine being produced by Pfizer and its German partner, BioNTech, is a two-dose treatment, meaning that 100 million doses is enough to vaccinate only 50 million Americans. The vaccine is expected to receive authorization for emergency use in the U.S. as soon as this weekend, with another vaccine, developed by Moderna, also likely to be approved for emergency use soon.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The man has owned the concept of failure in such a unique way I feel his picture should be placed in the dictionary as an illustration of the word.

WindUp

Oct 30, 2017
From the article, the US currently has 100 million doses ordered. It's a 2 dose vaccine so that's 50 million vaccinations. The "more of its vaccine" that Pfizer may be unable to provide to the US refers to more than that 50 million.

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Do we need vaccines?

Nah. Let's just let people die, the economy crash, and show everyone involved how incompetent we are. That will surely pull up people's bootstraps.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Part of believes that those people in charge are so callous they saw the loss coming in the elections and wanted to screw over the next administration as badly as they could. I wouldn't put it past these people.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
i really dont get it. even when they do something good, they find some way to fuck it up

Part of believes that those people in charge are so callous they saw the loss coming in the elections and wanted to screw over the next administration as badly as they could. I wouldn't put it past these people.

yeah, this happens all of the time

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
This is the one with all the logistical headaches so I doubt many countries will be doing multiple orders once the other vaccines are up and approved.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
Its literally part of the Republican playbook.
Shit the bed so the next Dem needs to take a whole term to fix shit up
Then point to the lack of meaningful legislation that they themselves blocked

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
Whatever the right decision is, they'll do the opposite, set it on fire, and claim that everything was as planned and better than the media said it would be.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's crazy. Pfizer's vaccine is more expensive than some other candidates and has cold chain storage issues. The government should be building a diversified portfolio of vaccines. I'm not sure it is sabotage.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
When faced with a decision, the Trump administration will make the worst, most destructive choice. Even when the result of that choice could mean life or death for many Americans.

When you try to think about "Why would they do this?" the only answers that spring to mind are: downplaying of the pandemic and the risk it poses because of his narcissism, or he's got a grift in the works that benefits him and his ilk if vaccine supplies are even lower than they could be. It's always about him, never about us.

Danby

One Winged Slayer
Oct 7, 2020
I hope someday it becomes crystal clear to everyone in the US just how many lives this man has truly cost.

OP
OP
Oct 22, 2020
I don't think it's crazy. Pfizer's vaccine is more expensive than some other candidates and has cold chain storage issues. The government should be building a diversified portfolio of vaccines. I'm not sure it is sabotage.
Even factoring in the storage issues, the goal should have always been to have as many doses as possible, regardless of the cost.

And I also don't think the Trump administration has come anywhere close to earning the benefit of the doubt here.

failgubbe

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
America tried and did fuck over transports of protective gear to other countries so it's more than fair that others get the chance to get some vaccines

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Isn't this a good thing? More vaccines available for other parts of the world. I know in another thread when it was deemed that the US would get most of the vaccines first people were pissed. So this actually sounds good for the rest of the world, maybe not Americans specifically

Oct 25, 2017
From the article, the US currently has 100 million doses ordered. It's a 2 dose vaccine so that's 50 million vaccinations. The "more of its vaccine" that Pfizer may be unable to provide to the US refers to more than that 50 million.
that's only like 15% of our total population isnt it?
god dammit trump you orange pile of stank what the fuck
is this the art of the deal?! straight up being offered the solution to the pandemic and just saying...naw???

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Of the 330 million Americans, what, 20-50% probably won't get the vaccine anyway? So 50 million people vaccinated gets us almost a third there (if we assume around 150 million will get vaccinated) and that wouldn't include any vaccines from Moderna.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
The cold storage issues are overblown in my view. Dry ice time-sensitive shipping isn't some wild new concept and, iirc, it can be stored in typical freezers for 5 or so days after the initial shipment. The super cold requirement is for much longer term storage.

Is it ideal? Of course not, but it just means a bit more care needs to be taken for this one.

OP
OP
Oct 22, 2020
The cold storage issues are overblown in my view. Dry ice time-sensitive shipping isn't some wild new concept and, iirc, it can be stored in typical freezers for 5 or so days after the initial shipment. The super cold requirement is for much longer term storage.

Is it ideal? Of course not, but it just means a bit more care needs to be taken for this one.
Plus, you can deploy the vaccines strategically based on population density.

Concentrate Pfizer/BioNTech deployment in urban areas and Moderna deployment in more rural areas.

AlphaTwo

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
This is the one with all the logistical headaches so I doubt many countries will be doing multiple orders once the other vaccines are up and approved.
Yes, but...

https://globalnews.ca/news/7468036/canada-coronavirus-vaccine-rollout/
Canada has already secured up to 358 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines from a wide range of different manufacturers. But how will the vaccines be distributed and with limited supplies in the initial stages, who should get them first?

Granted I think a non-trivial amount is Canada buying to distribute to other countries who can't afford it; but we got enough to cover everyone multiple times over. Logistics shouldn't be an excuse.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Try telling the family members of a person who will die in January of February that we could have had more vaccine but it was harder to store, so we passed.

It's all hand on deck time, you order everything that is available and fuck the rest.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Why buy vaccine doses when you can steal shipments going to other countries instead... Is probably the USA's plan. I mean it worked back in early phase 1 with PPE.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't surprising. From Day 1 Trump has favored Moderna's vaccine - because, if the reporting is to be believed, their heads told him they could deliver it the fastest and he liked that. Perhaps the admin is favoring that one, but more vaccines - even if they're logistically harder to administer, shouldn't be an issue for the wealthiest country in the world.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Try telling the family members of a person who will die in January of February that we could have had more vaccine but it was harder to store, so we passed.

It's all hand on deck time, you order everything that is available and fuck the rest.
Pfizer cut their expected output in half for initial shipments. So nothing more is available in the next couple months anyway.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
The man has owned the concept of failure in such a unique way I feel his picture should be placed in the dictionary as an illustration of the word.
That old "your picture is in the dictionary under 'idiot'" insult has become reality with this fool when searching through google images. May as well have him show up for "failure" too

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Funny you mention dry ice:
However, there's a shortage of CO2 caused by the pandemic, which is delaying the production of dry ice and could ultimately slow down vaccine distribution.
cbs12.com

Dry ice shortage could slow down COVID-19 vaccine distribution

There may be a new hurdle in the effort to get millions of doses of the COVID-19 vaccine, when available, to the public. A two-dose COVID-19 vaccine, developed by Pfizer and BioNTech, could be the first to hit the market. Caption: CBS12 News reporter Stefany Valderrama reports on how a dry ice...

It's been going on for the last few months where there's been a massive dry ice shortage. I'm guessing it's related to more people ordering stuff online with the pandemic.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
LMFAO is this because her has stake in moderna and was hoping to purchase theirs instead.

what a fucking shit leader