• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Link.

New York State lawmakers are planning to enact sweeping changes to the state's antiquated voting laws, including establishing early voting and closing an LLC loophole that allows corporations to donate unlimited amounts of money to candidates.

The package of bills was expected to pass the Assembly and Senate on Monday in what would be one of the first orders of business for the new Democratic majorities.

The reforms include adding nine days of early voting before the November election, including time to vote on the weekend.

Lawmakers will vote to allow 16 and 17-year-olds to preregister to vote. They'll also allow voters who change their address within the state to have their registration automatically change as well.

In addition, they want to consolidate the state's federal and state primaries into one primary day.

Lawmakers will also vote to close a loophole that allows groups to skirt state contribution limits by creating an LLC, which are hard to track and allow unlimited donations to campaigns.

Governor Andrew Cuomo supports the legislation and is expected to sign it. The changes would take effect immediately. He also supports declaring Election Day a state holiday.

Other bills call for the creation of same-day voter registration, as well as changes that would make it easier to vote by mail. However, those are Constitutional changes and would require a voter referendum.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Damn, NY finally reached TX level policies here and passed it in some other areas like pre-registration, etc. Congrats.

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
About time. I take pride in voting, but goddamn is my voting site a nightmare after work on election day. And after hearing about some of the nonsense happening with voting machines in other states I think I'm glad NY still uses paper ballots.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hilariously I'm pretty sure they're finally doing this stuff after AOC gamed Crowley out of his seat due to all the arcane machine state restriction designed to tamp down primary turnout.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Voting by mail is the best. We have it in Colorado, and it makes voting so much easier. No county in Colorado had under 50% turnout in the 2018 midterms. Some counties had a turnout of 75%.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Hi, just want to say: Go fuck yourself, Catherine Young.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
im pretty sure in Florida they can throw your vote out if your signature is off. which makes me not trust voting by mail.
Wow, that's insane. I haven't heard of that being an issue in Colorado or Oregon, which are two states that mail-in ballots sent to voters automatically. Maybe that is just for absentee ballots?

Oct 25, 2017
Why is it so bad in New York? Is it just party machine politics? Did Tammany Hall never go away?
Since 1939 the times Dems had control of the Senate are: 1966 and 2008-2010 with the later being a very minor control and competently fell apart quickly. The later would lead to the eventual IDC (Dems in just name pretty much) breakway which lasted until last year.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i definitely don't miss waiting in line for hours in Brooklyn to vote.

being able to cruise in and out in 10 minutes for early voting in GA is so amazing.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it just getting more attention here, or is New York going IN on progressive laws lately?

New York finally has a Democratic House and Senate and Cuomo can't duck behind the Republican Senate anymore to kill more progressive bills. Legal marijuana is right around the corner for example, something that was nowhere close to happening before the 2018 mid-terms. Gonna see a lot of progressive stuff and we'll see what Cuomo is gonna let through

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I hope CA follows suit. Seems like the two states are in a progressive policy race.
I think CA already has most or all of that as law. Teenage pre-registration has been available since 2017 & automatic teenage pre registration went into effect on the 1st of this month, same day voter registration and automatic registration for adults went into effect during the last decade, and vote by mail/early voting has been available for decades.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think CA already has most or all of that as law. Teenage pre-registration has been available since 2017 & automatic teenage pre registration went into effect on the 1st of this month, same day voter registration and automatic registration for adults went into effect during the last decade, and vote by mail/early voting has been available for decades.
Well then. Sounds like we're winning.

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
Incredible. How much will the early voting do to cement NY as a blue state for Presidential and other statewide elections because of NYC?

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Voting by mail is the best thing. Oregon also has automatic registration to vote when you go to the DMV unless you opt-out.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Amazing that Republicans blocked early voting for years and yet people can pretend with a straight face that they are not suppressing voting.

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017
This is all tremendous news for voting rights. Can't wait for a smooth mail-in voting system paired with automatic voter registration.
Is it just getting more attention here, or is New York going IN on progressive laws lately?
The Democrats are unchained now that they control every level of government in New York. At this point California and New York are about to have the most progressive dance off in decades. One of us might go full Tankie at this rate if CA upstages De Blasio's full NYC health coverage with a statewide single payer system.

Oct 27, 2017
I am proud to say that I helped vote out my local state government rep who'd been in power for awhile and replaced the R with a D.

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
New Yawk City!
Incredible. How much will the early voting do to cement NY as a blue state for Presidential and other statewide elections because of NYC?

To be honest, as a resident I personally feel the real benefit of this is turnout at local and regional races as much as in the Electoral College. The state Republican Party used to be a significant force here but since the 2000s, that's slipped away - Democrats are performing closer to what party registration would suggest in places like Westchester County these days. The state GOP is in a lot of trouble to be honest.

But some of the local New York City races are dismal in turnout (mayoral elections are 20% affairs): primary deadlines were obscenely early, and the lack of early voting (and the races' uncompetitive nature) made it a frustrating or futile exercise in the minds of a lot of voters. Having less of that nonsense might help people see the point of voting in off years and make it less of a banal exercise.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Oh thank fucking god. I wasn't able to vote in the last presidential election because my work sent me out of town with less than a week's notice. So I couldn't register for an absentee ballot and there was no early voting.

Obviously it wouldn't have made much of a difference in New York, but it still felt awful.