• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
28nyconvention01-mobileMasterAt3x.jpg

It started with an unexpected call last week from Lynne Patton, a longtime Trump associate who oversees federal housing programs in New York.

Ms. Patton told a leader of a tenants' group at the New York City Housing Authority, the nation's largest, that she was interested in speaking with residents about conditions in the authority's buildings, which have long been in poor repair.

Four tenants soon assembled in front of a video camera and were interviewed for more than four hours by Ms. Patton herself. They were never told that their interviews would be edited into a two-minute video clip that would air on Thursday night at the Republican National Convention and be used to bash Mayor Bill de Blasio, three of the tenants said in interviews on Friday.

"I am not a Trump supporter," said one of the tenants, Claudia Perez. "I am not a supporter of his racist policies on immigration. I am a first-generation Honduran. It was my people he was sending back."
The episode represents another stark example of how President Trump has deployed government resources to further his political ambitions. Ms. Patton is head of the New York office of the Department of Housing and Urban Development, and under the Hatch Act is barred from using her government position to engage in political activities.
Three of the four tenants in the public housing video were interviewed on Friday by The New York Times. All three said they opposed President Trump and were misled about the purpose of the video.
In the video, the tenants raised concerns about conditions in the housing authority's buildings, attacking Mr. de Blasio's housing record. Ms. Perez, one of the tenants, said in an interview on Friday afternoon that she stood by her criticism of the authority but was furious about being tricked into appearing in the video.
Ms. Perez said she had been called last week by another tenant leader, Carmen Quiñones, who said Ms. Patton was with her at the Frederick Douglass Houses in Manhattan and wanted to talk to residents about the housing authority's performance.
Only after the questioning ended were the four tenants told that the interview was for the Republican Party, Ms. Perez said. But she said she was never told that it was for the convention.
Ms. Perez said she demanded to see the edited version of the clip, but no one ever showed it to her. She added that Ms. Quiñones called her minutes before the clip aired on Thursday night to say that it was about to be shown.
More at the link:
www.nytimes.com

N.Y.C. Tenants Say They Were Tricked Into Appearing in R.N.C. Video (Published 2020)

“I am not a Trump supporter,” one of the tenants said, adding that she was furious that her interview with a government official was used for the convention.
I fucking knew it. Ugh, I fucking hate this entire admin.

Oct 27, 2017
Haha, I was literally making this thread at the same time.

But ya, it's par for the course with this gross ass administration.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
We need actual penalties for Hatch Act violations - but of course they'll only be used against Democrats.

naib

Oct 25, 2017
ATX
This after the naturalization ceremony thing is not surprising at all.
Fucking grifters

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that felt really weird while watching it. No wonder Rudy didn't mention 9/11, otherwise Al-Quada would sue for using their "hostage video" format.

madame x

May 15, 2020
fuck donald trump for trying to pit poor people and different minorities against each other.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that people had to be lied to and falsely edited into a video to bolster support for Trump tells you all you need to know.

SquirrelSr

Oct 26, 2017
It's amazing how the same people involved in violating the Hatch Act are the same ones who are responsible for enforcing it.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The courts are going to be backed up for years dealing with all these Trump staffers

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
The fact that people had to be lied to and falsely edited into a video to bolster support for Trump tells you all you need to know.
Exactly.

They are dishonest and lazy. Reminds me of how they used stock footage during the RNC, including stock footage for fires in Spain that they claimed were from riots in the U.S.

www.nbcnews.com

RNC airs video clip of ‘Biden’s America’ — it was actually Barcelona

The video, which appeared during Monday night’s event, shows footage from 2019 protests in Spain.

I also saw a twitter video from day one of the RNC as well that I can't find now that showed all kinds of shots of people in a montage that was just clip after clip of stock footage, everything from firefighters to a family holding an American flag and it was all stuff that could be interpreted as people who support Trump and were asked by them to be in a montage but they just took a bunch of stock footage.