cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

www.nytimes.com

Democrats failed to get enough votes for an independent inquiry into the Jan. 6 riot. (Published 2021)

The vote was a stinging defeat for proponents of the commission, who had argued that it was the only way to assemble a truly comprehensive account of the riot for a polarized nation.

Republicans on Friday blocked the creation of an independent commission to investigate the Jan. 6 Capitol riot, using their filibuster power in the Senate for the first time this year to doom a full accounting for the deadliest attack on Congress in centuries.
With the vast majority of Republicans determined to shield their party from potential political damage that could come from scrutiny of the storming of the Capitol by a pro-Trump mob, only six G.O.P. senators joined Democrats to support advancing the measure. The final vote, 54 to 35, fell short of the 60 senators needed to move forward.
The vote was a stinging defeat for proponents of the commission, who had argued that it was the only way to assemble a truly comprehensive account of the riot for a polarized nation. Modeled after the inquiry into the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, the proposed panel of experts would have been responsible for producing a report on the assault and recommendations to secure Congress by the end of the year.
The debate played out in the same chamber where a throng of supporters of former President Donald J. Trump, egged on by his lies of a stolen election and efforts by Republican lawmakers to invalidate President Biden's victory, sought to disrupt Congress's counting of electoral votes about five months ago.
Top Republicans had entertained supporting the measure as recently as last week. But they ultimately reversed course, and the House approved it with only 35 Republican votes. Leaders concluded that open-ended scrutiny of the attack would hand Democrats powerful political ammunition before the 2022 midterm elections — and enrage a former president they are intent on appeasing.
"I do not believe the additional extraneous commission that Democratic leaders want would uncover crucial new facts or promote healing," said Senator Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, the minority leader. "Frankly, I do not believe it is even designed to do that."

jml

Mar 9, 2018
Manchin: "hmm, guess I was wrong about there being 10 good Republicans. Oh well, nothing I can do!"

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just unbelievable. We have to keep these fuckers out of office. Our way of life is at stake.

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
How anyone can look at what happened on Jan 6 and think that's a nothingburger, I cannot fathom.

I understand that individuals are taking the fall as many there are being arrested and punished but make no mistake, the republicans killed this commission because they are protecting their own.

Hey republicans getting spanked for actually storming the capital, see how they cover their asses and throw you under the bus? They don't give a fuck about you and never will.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
What I think should happen to those 35 Republicans and Manchin and Sinema and any Senator opposed to the commission would get me banned. By refusing to support the commission, they are just doomed to repeat the insurrection and the results would be even worse. It would lead to members of Congress dying.

Which may be what McConnell & co. really want.

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
Man...next time Rs control the House, Senate and the Presidency it's a wrap for democracy.

Beefsquid

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Joe Manchin is the dumbest motherfucker and I can't believe anyone is still holding water for him. "Distressed" my ass. He wanted it to fail.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Man...next time Rs control all the House, Senate and the Presidency it's a wrap for democracy.
It honestly feels that way.

Manchin and Sinema continue to be total embarrassments. There is no good faith left in the GOP save one or two people - stop fucking waiting for it. They don't give you the same respect.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
1513302138824.jpg

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Doesn't really matter. We know republicans are traitors. I suspect special counsel to be appointed anyway. That seems to be the last option at this point

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Manchin next week: But there were 4! That means we just need 6. I'm not about to destroy Democracy over just 6 votes. Democrats just need to work harder
Let's be honest, the reason as many of them opposed as they did was because they knew it wouldn't actually matter and so it was purely optics. They're the ones who make their brand on being "moderate" and rarely ever actually cross party lines when their vote could actually change the outcome

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
It honestly feels that way.

Manchin and Sinema continue to be total embarrassments. There is no good faith left in the GOP save one or two people - stop fucking waiting for it. They don't give you the same respect.

It's why I stopped giving a damn about any sort of real agenda being implemented. Manchin and Sinema still see Rs as their colleagues across the aisle and I just want to scream: "They see you as an enemy that needs to be removed from power!" It's going to be a hell of a day when there's another close election and Rs stop the certification of the election. January 6th insurrections are going to be the new normal.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Let's be honest, the reason as many of them opposed as they did was because they knew it wouldn't actually matter and so it was purely optics. They're the ones who make their brand on being "moderate" and rarely ever actually cross party lines when their vote could actually change the outcome
Of course and I'd like to think that even Manchin knows this. But maybe I'm being too kind to Manchin.

If this had 60 votes, one of them would have just flipped back.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
How anyone can look at what happened on Jan 6 and think that's a nothingburger, I cannot fathom.

I understand that individuals are taking the fall as many there are being arrested and punished but make no mistake, the republicans killed this commission because they are protecting their own.

Hey republicans getting spanked for actually storming the capital, see how they cover their asses and throw you under the bus? They don't give a fuck about you and never will.

Republicans also think that by killing this commission, the story will stop being covered in the press and all will be forgotten in a few weeks. I hate saying it, but I'll be surprised if they're wrong.

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
Theoretically what would they do that they haven't already or are doing at state level?

Stop the actual certification of an election by refusing to recognize the electoral votes from swing states. But they're doing all they can to ensure that those swing states are locked up for them as is, so it might not even get that far next time.

Sayuz

Apr 29, 2019
Manchin next week: But there were 6! That means we just need 6 more votes. I'm not about to destroy Democracy over just 6 votes. Democrats just need to work harder

Democrats finding 10 votes in the Republican Party is more difficult than God finding 10 good people in the city of Sodom and Gomorrah. And we all know how that turned out.