SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
For 26 billion all cash plus the experience and wide media footprint Sony has versus Skydance, I can see why they are taking the offer from Sony and Apollo seriously lol.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Per Matt Belloni's newsletter from last night (which also backed up that the exclusivity period will not be extended):

The Sony/Apollo deal would certainly include big rounds of layoffs since it's a strategic purchase with operational "synergies, but bolsters the combined entity to more effectively compete in the long-term against their larger peers. Along with other *potential* leverage multipliers across the various Sony divisions. Plus, the class B shareholders preference for a payday. Not sure what Matt's point is regarding "foreign company" in terms of the creative community when Sony have been a major Hollywood player for decades at this point; redundancies, sure, but that isn't a domestic vs foreign issue.

The Skydance deal benefits the competitive aspect for creatives by retaining the "major 5", at least in the short-to-medium-term, but it requires the Skydance/Paramount entity to crawl out of it's hole and really compete for it's long-term prospects, as a public company. M&A is difficult when clean; it's even harder when a chunk of investors are likely to sue you whilst the new leadership team is attempting to pivot the company without obvious "synergies".

There are no guarantee's for either 10 - 20 years out. Pick your poison.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
The market can no longer just be viewed as 'the Big 6 majors'.
Amazon/MGM and Netflix are releasing more films this calendar year than Sony and Paramount! I'm too lazy to check, but Apple is probably up there as well.

Agree , the whole idea of the big 5 means nothing at this point in time with how much content getting done out side of the so call big 5 .

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
The Sony/Apollo deal would certainly include big rounds of layoffs since it's a strategic purchase with operational "synergies, but bolsters the combined entity to more effectively compete in the long-term against their larger peers. Along with other *potential* leverage multipliers across the various Sony divisions. Plus, the class B shareholders preference for a payday. Not sure what Matt's point is regarding "foreign company" in terms of the creative community when Sony have been a major Hollywood player for decades at this point; redundancies, sure, but that isn't a domestic vs foreign issue.

The Skydance deal benefits the competitive aspect for creatives by retaining the "major 5", at least in the short-to-medium-term, but it requires the Skydance/Paramount entity to crawl out of it's hole and really compete for it's long-term prospects, as a public company. M&A is difficult when clean; it's even harder when a chunk of investors are likely to sue you whilst the new leadership team is attempting to pivot the company without obvious "synergies".

There are no guarantee's for either 10 - 20 years out. Pick your poison.

Right, I honestly wish it was a simple as "Mergers and acquisitions are bad, so Skydance still keeping them as a separate company is good" as some people hope to make it. Skydance shows no signs that they'd be able to transform a company as big as Paramount into a profitable and successful company.

reksveks

May 17, 2022
Its kinda bad that i want this to happen cause it will piss off a group of fanboys.

i ain't proud of myself.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Right, I honestly wish it was a simple as "Mergers and acquisitions are bad, so Skydance still keeping them as a separate company is good" as some people hope to make it. Skydance shows no signs that they'd be able to transform a company as big as Paramount into a profitable and successful company.

In my defense, I'm not really hoping to make it that. I'm just trying to look at options and figure out what exactly would be the best road at the end of the day.

I absolutely agree there's no evidence that Skydance can successfully turn things around. But I also know people really want Paramount to be separate at all costs, so that's why I've been saying "well, if Skydance gets them..."

Honestly, I'm not sure what the best option is here. All options have their risks, and not getting bought out also means Paramount is going to get broken down.

My only thing that, regardless of if Skydance or Sony get the company, is that they understand that ejecting Nickelodeon without any ties would be absolutely foolish for the studio. I don't know if either will be smart enough to realize that. But I would hope they would be.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA

This is a good point. There is certainly no guarantee of a happy ending under Skydance.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
In my defense, I'm not really hoping to make it that. I'm just trying to look at options and figure out what exactly would be the best road at the end of the day.

I absolutely agree there's no evidence that Skydance can successfully turn things around. But I also know people really want Paramount to be separate at all costs, so that's why I've been saying "well, if Skydance gets them..."

Honestly, I'm not sure what the best option is here. All options have their risks, and not getting bought out also means Paramount is going to get broken down.

My only thing that, regardless of if Skydance or Sony get the company, is that they understand that ejecting Nickelodeon without any ties would be absolutely foolish for the studio. I don't know if either will be smart enough to realize that. But I would hope they would be.

Nothing wrong with exploring every outcome, but my post was really speaking to the Era mentality of all consolidation being trillion dollar companies buying up the biggest companies in the industry because they can. This is just a very unfortunate situation Paramount has been in for sometime and the vultures will be coming either way. It says a lot how shareholders were against Skydance beyond just payout issues, the tune completely changed for Apollo once they saw Sony was in the mix too. Clearly they are hoping someone who knows what the hell they are doing takes over which Sony seems to be the leader of the choices.

As for Nickelodeon, I'd say its likely safe since beyond it's mascot franchise (Spongebob) it also holds other valuable IP like TMNT and Garfield. But no one knows for sure what will happen when anyone gets Paramount.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I was bummed when Amazon acquired MGM, and MGMs films still weren't coming to Movies Anywhere.

Especially since you can link your Amazon account to Movies Anywhere.

I've heard (but dont know how true it is) studios have to pay an upfront fee and a cut of digital movie sales to be part of MA so it may just be Amazon don't think it's worth the cost.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing wrong with exploring every outcome, but my post was really speaking to the Era mentality of all consolidation being trillion dollar companies buying up the biggest companies in the industry because they can. This is just a very unfortunate situation Paramount has been in for sometime and the vultures will be coming either way. It says a lot how shareholders were against Skydance beyond just payout issues, the tune completely changed for Apollo once they saw Sony was in the mix too. Clearly they are hoping someone who knows what the hell they are doing takes over which Sony seems to be the leader of the choices.

As for Nickelodeon, I'd say its likely safe since beyond it's mascot franchise (Spongebob) it also holds other valuable IP like TMNT and Garfield. But no one knows for sure what will happen when anyone gets Paramount.

Ah, I gotcha. Yeah, that was fair to speak to.

Oh the IPs are definitely valuable. But I'm also speaking to the ones that Paramount is currently relying on for cash. Ninja Turtles Mutant Mayhem just got declared the fourth most profitable film of 2024 by Deadline, and unlike the Hasbro IPs, they don't have to negotiate for usage constantly or share money. Paw Patrol is starting to become a film franchise. Obviously SpongeBob is Nick's biggest ip, but it has three films already and a fourth on the way. A:TLA has a studio and an incoming theatrical movie that could also turn into a film franchise too.

They have those pillars now. I feel like it would be extremely foolish for them to give up Nick and enter a Hasbro situation at best, at worst give it up entirely.

But yeah, unfortunately we don't know until the final decision is made. I just pray the new parties understand how much of a vital pillar Nick is to the film studio.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
If both deals fall through, there will still be some significant cuts and some pieces sold.

One of Shari's issues with Bakish was his inability to close a deal to sell BET.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like both deals are likely to fall through

variety.com

Skydance’s Proposed Deal With Paramount Global Appears to Be Falling Apart

After months of M&A talks, Paramount Global and controlling shareholder Shari Redstone might be going it alone after all.

If both deals fall through, there will still be some significant cuts and some pieces sold.

One of Shari's issues with Bakish was his inability to close a deal to sell BET.

Oh damn. I'm worried about how bad this is going to go, even if some are going to be happy this means no acquisitions.

Also, should I just make a new thread at this point? A) Because a bunch of people don't actually check in beyond thread titles / B) We're looking at a new scenario for Paramount's future at this point.

Cinnamon

Jan 18, 2023
If they don't find a buyer, Paramount will start selling off pieces of the company, and many people will lose their jobs.

There's no easy win-win situation here.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Gatorland
Looks like both deals are likely to fall through

variety.com

Skydance’s Proposed Deal With Paramount Global Appears to Be Falling Apart

After months of M&A talks, Paramount Global and controlling shareholder Shari Redstone might be going it alone after all.

If they don't find a buyer, Paramount will start selling off pieces of the company, and many people will lose their jobs.

There's no easy win-win situation here.

This makes me actually curious how the board/shareholders will respond to what is possibly the best deal they can get being turned down entirely because of the owner's personal preferences?

Got no stakes in this (heh) myself on the deal going through or not but given the state of the company that is interesting.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
This makes me actually curious how the board/shareholders will respond to what is possibly the best deal they can get being turned down entirely because of the owner's personal preferences?

Got no stakes in this (heh) myself on the deal going through or not but given the state of the company that is interesting.
Yeah seems like taking the Sony deal would be in their best interests financially lol...

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Both Variety and Hollywood Reporter are saying that regulatory issues are a concern, so I guess it's up to Sony and Apollo to convince paramount's special committee that they could navigate them. Then they would have to convince Redstone to go along with it.

David Matter

Banned
Apr 16, 2024
well... is not over yet at all

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/03/business/media/paramount-skydance-exclusive-talks-lapse.html

Paramount told Skydance that it would not extend the Hollywood studio's exclusive window to negotiate a merger, two people with knowledge of the decisions said Friday, imperiling the deal but opening the door to other suitors for the owner of MTV and Nickelodeon.

The development throws up a major roadblock for Skydance, a movie studio that has been negotiating a complicated deal to merge with Paramount for months. Many Paramount investors have come out against that deal, saying it would enrich Shari Redstone, the company's board chair, at the expense of other shareholders.
The 30-day period for exclusive talks with a special committee of Paramount's board expires at the end of Friday. It is unclear what Skydance, which was founded by the tech scion and producer David Ellison, and its backer, RedBird Capital Partners, will do next. The company could wait for Paramount to re-engage in negotiations, could make a higher bid or could walk away. The company is wary of being used by Paramount to drive up the price for another bidder.

Paramount's special committee will now probably focus on negotiating with another suitor, Sony Pictures Entertainment, which has teamed up with the private equity giant Apollo Global Management to make a $26 billion bid for the company. Paramount's shareholders prefer the all-cash offer — which would include the assumption of Paramount's debt — because it would give them a substantial premium on the company's current stock price.

Paramount's special committee is set to meet on Saturday to discuss the deal, the two people with knowledge of the company's plans said.

The deal with Sony and Apollo is not without its own risk. Government regulations restrict foreign ownership of broadcast networks, like Paramount's CBS. Sony Pictures Entertainment is a division of the Tokyo-based Sony Group, and it's unlikely that it could obtain a license to own CBS. But there are potential remedies to that problem: Apollo could apply to hold the license to CBS, or the group could decide to sell the network.

Paramount's fate ultimately lies in Ms. Redstone's hands. Her control of National Amusements, Paramount's parent company, gives her the power to block any deal. Ms. Redstone has already signed off on a potential deal between Skydance and National Amusements that would allow her to sell her stake for around $2 billion, but that deal hinges on approval of a merger of Paramount and Skydance.

CNBC earlier reported that Paramount was planning to end exclusive negotiations with Skydance.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Posted by ChaosSlayer over in the PlayStation OT, sounds like Sony will now attempt to only buy the parts they would have kept had the full deal gone through
deadline.com

Sony & Paramount Sign Non-Disclosure Agreement Allowing Deal Talks To Start, But It’s Not Looking Like A $26 Billion Bid For Whole Company Anymore

Sony signed a non-disclosure agreement with Paramount allowing deal talks to begin but they'll not be focused on a $26 billion bid for whole company.
Sony has signed an NDA with Paramount Global, a move that will give it access to the books and allow deal talks to move ahead, Deadline hears.

Sony and private equity giant Apollo kicked things off previously with a preliminary bid of $26 billion, but what's being contemplated now is not that, but something narrower. A look at the books is necessary to move forward in any case.

After a few weeks passed with no Sony NDA, there's was speculation its interest was waning as it considered the significant regulatory hurdles, and that's possibly what's at place in a different kind of deal.

Sony just wants the studio.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
I suppose they could mean they are buying all of the production studios, rather than "the" studio

I think so. They would take all the production and IP separated from the CBS network, which would be sold elsewhere.

That's why Disney owns the Simpsons for example, even though they didn't buy the Fox Network.

I'm assuming this means they would buy the Nickelodeon production studio as well?

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
That would be the assumption, but with Sony's offer possibly narrowing, who knows.

The point of doing this for Sony would be the studios and IP. But maybe they think they can't get all the IP and would be choosier?

That seems like a massive mistake for the Paramount Studio to let Ninja Turtles, Spongebob, Avatar and a few others just go away.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
That article isn't really clear…so Sony and Apollo are no longer jointly bidding? That likely kills any attempt by Sony as Paramount already rejected their attempt to buy Paramount Pictures.

Guess it's Skydance's to lose.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
That article isn't really clear…so Sony and Apollo are no longer jointly bidding? That likely kills any attempt by Sony as Paramount already rejected their attempt to buy Paramount Pictures.

Guess it's Skydance's to lose.

I don't think it's saying they're no longer jointly bidding. I think they're jointly bidding, but not on all assets. And I think the key is this part:

"Some industry players believe Apollo mostly wants the studio lot as a real estate play"

and this:

"As things stand, Apollo's current station holdings would put it over the Congressionally mandated broadcast cap."

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
That seems like a massive mistake for the Paramount Studio to let Ninja Turtles, Spongebob, Avatar and a few others just go away.

I agree in theory, but if they can get a deal done for some of Paramount, they might see that as better than nothing. They tried to just buy Paramount Pictures in the past, right?

Anyway, maybe the Nick stuff is still in their offer. We don't know yet.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Sony getting Paramount and WB getting CBS sucks ass.

I'm still not 100% sure if this goes through considering Sony investors still aren't thrilled about the idea of doing this.

I'm in wait and see mode until we know for sure exactly what's going to go down. Honestly, I still see each of the three paths having an equal chance at this point.