• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DinkyDev

Feb 5, 2021

View: https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1781092876551696694

Even as Paramount, the home of the "Top Gun" movie franchise and "SpongeBob SquarePants," continues its talks to merge with another media company, Skydance, a new suitor has emerged.

Sony Pictures Entertainment and Apollo Global Management, an investment firm, have been in discussions about teaming up for a joint bid to acquire Paramount, two people familiar with the situation said Thursday.
The two companies have not submitted an official bid, as Paramount is still in exclusive conversations with Skydance, said the people, who were granted anonymity to discuss delicate negotiations. But the potential deal with Skydance has generated significant investor pushback.
Apollo previously reached out to Paramount about buying the company for at least $26 billion, including debt. But Paramount's board proceeded with its more advanced conversations with Skydance, amid questions about Apollo's financing. A joint bid with Sony would almost certainly reduce those concerns, adding operational experience and additional capital to Apollo's already significant war chest.

Tony Vinciquerra, the chief executive of Sony Pictures Entertainment, has held conversations in the last week with Apollo about teaming up on a bid, the people said. The bid would be an all-cash offer for the outstanding stock in Paramount, in effect taking the company private through a joint venture.
The terms of the joint bid are still being worked out, and it's possible that Sony and Apollo may not make an offer for Paramount, one of the people said. One structure could have Apollo take a minority stake in the joint venture, with Sony becoming the majority owner and operating the company. At some point, Apollo could cash out its investment, possibly by selling its stake back to Sony.

If Sony prevailed in its bid, the company would most likely operate the Paramount studio as a label within its own media empire, fusing the studio's marketing and distribution arm with its own. It remains to be seen how CBS, one of Paramount's crown jewels, would fit into the combined company along with Paramount's fading cable channels.

hypno

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder what would happen to Sony Pictures selling their stuff to multiple streaming services if this would to go through since that approach seems to be working for them

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
Very interesting, since Sony's play has been to license Sony Pictures content to the highest bidder for theaters, streaming, etc. up to this point.

If they bought Paramount, would they shift all their content to Paramount+? It would considerably boost Paramount+'s content library, while potentially hurting several rivals.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like Paramount is going to get bought regardless. Sony isn't my first choice, but I don't think they're my last either.

crimsonECHIDNA

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Wonder what would happen to Sony Pictures selling their stuff to multiple streaming services if this would to go through since that approach seems to be working for them

Honestly they probably still go as is because NBC, WB Discovery and Paramount have all been sub-licensing their IPs out outside of their own streaming services. Kind of became the new name of the game.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Somehow i often confuse Columbia Pictures with Paramount Pictures,
so it somewhat would help me if i try to assure someone that this studio is owned by Sony.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Could this even include CBS? I thought they weren't allowed to own a broadcast station due to technically being a foreign company.

Kelsdesu

Oct 25, 2017
This really feels like the only solution to compete with the likes of Netflix and Hulu. Amazon and Apple can afford to throw money at shit whereas paramount, peacock and HBO max cannot.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
This is the best case scenario tbh considering Sony will put all their stuff to every streaming services.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
On the plus side, this would probably get Paramount content into MoviesAnywhere.

On the minus side...probably everything else, lol.

If Paramount's gonna get bought I think I like Skydance since they're not one of the other huge groups already. But I really don't think anyone in these situations wins outside of the investors.

Naythan

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
Paramount is going to be sold and the Skydance deal seems to be dead in the water. If someone has to do it, Sony is probably one of the better choices.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
This really feels like the only solution to compete with the likes of Netflix and Hulu. Amazon and Apple can afford to throw money at shit whereas paramount, peacock and HBO max cannot.
Well, you mean Netflix and Disney given that Hulu is now merged into Disney+. This is basically where we're at with the streaming services. It's just gonna inevitably be three to five conglomerates of Netflix, Disney, whatever Paramount/Showtime and whoever else merge with into one big conglomerate and then whatever ends up happening with WBD and Max. People wanted to cheer on the digital future, this is where we're heading, a handful of big multimedia conglomerates with a bunch of different companies merged/acquired in each of them because all of these companies trying to live on their own simply doesn't make enough financial sense anymore.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
This really sucks, 5 major studios reducing to 4. Hope regulation bodies step in.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I've said it a while ago that Sony would be wise to go for Paramount. Even with their razor blades business of selling TV shows to the highest bidder, they are severely lacking in IP.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Well, you mean Netflix and Disney given that Hulu is now merged into Disney+. This is basically where we're at with the streaming services. It's just gonna inevitably be three to five conglomerates of Netflix, Disney, whatever Paramount/Showtime and whoever else merge with into one big conglomerate and then whatever ends up happening with WBD and Max. People wanted to cheer on the digital future, this is where we're heading, a handful of big multimedia conglomerates with a bunch of different companies merged/acquired in each of them because all of these companies trying to live on their own simply doesn't make enough financial sense anymore.
The weird thing is that for the last few years the complaint has been "too many streaming services!! if I subscribe to all of them every month, it costs as much as my cable bill used to be!" Even just in this thread, there's someone cheerleading this as "the best case scenario," I guess because they think Sony will kill Paramount+ and just put all their content on the other services, so there will just be one fewer service.

It's weird that so many people apparently want less competition in streaming, but then again this is the same place where someone told me that very the idea that multiple companies competing tends to lead to better results for consumers than a monopoly that controls everything was a "capitalist myth" so I don't even know any more.

They couldn't even stop Disney buying Fox. And Sony Picture's is nowhere near the size of Disney. And Paramount isn't Fox.
It's worth noting that happened under a different administration that was much more...hands-off on these sorts of things, and the other potential suitor for Fox was Comcast and that would have been even worse.