Oct 26, 2017
Via Twitter:
Maggie Haberman:

Where are people getting the impression she is an access journalist and Trump shill?

Baffling?

Let's take a closer look.

The year is 2011. In February, Maggie Haberman pens an article in Politico "The Donald reins in Roger Stone", quoting from an interview with Donald himself who phoned Maggie. The article was ostensibly floating a Presidential bid.

The article contains this statement: "It's impossible to independently assess Trump's (net) worth". Seems fair.

Fast forward to March 2011.

Donald Trump begins publicly questioning if Obama was born in America. While Trump faces pushback over the controversy (NYT ran an article "Donald Trump is getting weirder"), weeks later 2 articles by Maggie Haberman appear in Politico.

The first article continues to float a Presidential bid by Trump. It offers information that Trump personally called Kellyanne Conway, who helped Trump connect to evangelicals. It was at this time that Trump reversed his position on abortion.

A week later with Trump continuing to take heavy fire over his birtherism and questions about his finances, this gem appears in Politico by Maggie Haberman.

"Trump: The $7 Billion dollar man".

The article cites "Sources with knowledge of Trump's financial holdings" to make the dubious claim that Trump has "very little debt" and great cash flow while continuing to float a Presidential campaign bid.
This bold claim of Trump's wealth, relying on anonymous sources in Trump World, came mere weeks after Haberman herself claimed it was impossible to independently verify his net worth.

Impossible to independently verify it yet runs an article stating his net worth is $7 billion?

We now know that these claims (little debt) were preposterous but they were preposterous at the time if we trust Forbes over Haberman's anonymous sources within Team Trump. (Forbes estimated his net worth at a shade over $2 billion & leveraged.)

What we have here are early signs of a pattern.

Donald Trump does or says something which invites criticism and condemnation.

Maggie Haberman is then granted a direct interview or publishes a favorable Trump piece.

I've linked to the original Twitter thread above which I would highly recommend you read in whole. This is access journalism at its worst.

Last edited:

Chumley

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, this covers it pretty well. She shouldn't be employed at the NYT. It's that simple.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
All because she wants a book so bad. You know whats gonna happen when that book arrives? People are gonna look at her and say "you held onto this info as he destroyed America piece by piece?".

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Saw her in an CNN interview a day ago or so and her message basically was "Trump is not lying because he believes it". It was pure cringe. It's like she thinks she is the Trump-whisperer and only she understands him.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Saw her in an CNN interview a day ago or so and her message basically was "Trump is not lying because he believes it". It was pure cringe. It's like she thinks she is the Trump-whisperer and only she understands him.
If you've conditioned yourself to believe every lie you tell because of a mental handicap that doesn't mean he's not lying... it just means he's a self-delusional fuck who invents a reality where he is at its proverbial centre and the world revolves around him. And, thus far, he's right... because nobody has bothered to hold him accountable thanks to the endless pipeline of Russian money he's had at his disposal to throw at any problem.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Where's that clip from 2015 of Keith Ellison saying not to understand Trump and that he might be POTUS and Haberman laughing her ass off?

Good times.

Edit:

Here it is

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Wow shes finally gonna get hers. I remember her being very snarky about all this in tweets by her. Seems like its getting traction now.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
You hire hack writers, you get hack writing. Shocker.

Maga Haberman typifies the worst of access journalism.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
Good. Most people who've been following politics semi-seriously have been saying Habermann is a hypocrite and a hack for a minute now.

Gluka

Oct 25, 2017
Virtually the only point that I've ever seen Maggie Haberman rustled on Twitter was when Michael Wolff released his book. She blows off legitimate criticism all day like it's nothing, but the second anything that could even remotely threaten the sale of her book comes up she doesn't hold anything back. The fact that the NYT can still designate someone to reporting on the White House who has such a huge incentive to soft roll Trump's rhetoric is a fucking joke.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haberman is the one who stated she doesn't say the President lies because he "may believe what he says is true"

Total bullshit response. Lies are lies even if the moron saying them believe it

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017

To be fair, her colleagues - in and outside of the NYT - gave her that reputation.

Chumley

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Haberman is the one who stated she doesn't say the President lies because he "may believe what he says is true"

Total bullshit response. Lies are lies even if the moron saying them believe it

That's literally from Kellyanne's playbook. Despicable.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Worst of all, her much promoted "break from Twitter" was woefully short. More seriously, she is one in a long line of journalists who are willing to trade truth and professional dignity for access to powerful people.

Error404

Oct 29, 2017
I follow a few of her colleagues on Twitter and they try to push her stuff so hard with countless retweets. The thing is, everyone in the industry knows Haberman is tainted. Get her outta here.

X1 Two

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You don't have to like her, you don't have to read her, but the fucking mob that goes around the internet trying to destroy people's lifes because they don't have the same opinion as them is fucking disgusting.

Fruit&Nut

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Mar 16, 2018
Well they share some agendas so it's not surprising. They are all pretty racist towards Arabs and Muslims and endorse the policies of Israel. That buys Trump some mileage with the New York Times and Halberman, as it's probably the biggest agenda of NYT.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You don't have to like her, you don't have to read her, but the fucking mob that goes around the internet trying to destroy people's lifes because they don't have the same opinion as them is fucking disgusting.
Between this and the avenatti thread, you're on a roll lmao. Tell us how you really feel. Private profile too huh, makes you think.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's not often I'm shocked anymore but finding out her mother literally works PR for Trump is shocking and just made everything fall together for me.

Wow.

jakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I don't follow it as much as everyone in this thread, but I don't understand the pretty consistent dogpile on Maggie, because I see her being subtly critical of Trump all the time? Not everyone needs to be a full throated partisan editorializing mouthpiece at all times, and obviously there are more then enough people that can fill that role.

The only problem would be if her fence-sitting got in the way of her work. Can anyone say with a straight face that Maggie/the NYT buried a story to protect Trump? If not, then I don't understand why she seems to ruffle so many feathers.

Private profile too huh, makes you think.

What does this even mean?

Buzzman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the newspaper that decided to hire Bari Weiss, the nazi Quinn Norton (lol) and chose to write 6+ articles on a fucking billionaire getting inconvenienced. It's a dumpster fire of centrism and Haberman might be the best thing they got going currently, sadly enough.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I don't follow it as much as everyone in this thread, but I don't understand the dogpile on Maggie, because I see her being subtly critical of Trump all the time? Not everyone needs to be a full throated partisan editorializing mouthpiece at all times. The only problem would be is if her fence-sitting got in the way of her work. Can anyone say with a straight face that Maggie/the NYT buried a story to protect Trump? If not, then I don't understand why she seems to ruffle so many feathers.

Read the OP if you wanna know why she ruffles feathers. The fact she can only bring herself to be "subtly critical" at times while at others basically working as his PR agent is exactly why she ruffles feathers.