Oct 25, 2017
Guy who assassinated defenseless children in the middle east with his drones talks about the world being messy. You hate to see it.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I detected no lies. Could be broadly applied to many a discussion here on Era, including some taking place at this very moment.

The unwillingness by some to read between the lines, observe nuance, and/or allow people to make mistakes and grow is a disgusting culture that needs to die in a fucking fire. You're not perfect. Neither is anyone else. What matters is the direction people are going in, not whether they can answer every question and make every decision according to your perfect head canon.

100% Facts.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
It means afford good people the opportunity to make mistakes and grow in ways that you would hope people would afford to you when you fuck up. And trust, you fuck up more often than your self-centeredness allows you to recognize; you just don't get called out in it because you don't actually matter/have a platform. And learn what nuance and reasonable middlegrounds are and stop letting the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Had to find this post just so I could say nicely put.

TiC

Banned
Jul 12, 2019
Call-out culture is only a thing because people are tired of no consequences for the powerful that have always abused that power, so even ignoring what he's personally done, Obama shouldn't say this because he has a terrible track record of holding people accountable. Look at Bush after everything he did. Look at Wall Street after the real estate bubble burst. He knew about Russia before the 2016 election but wanted to appear neutral.

So what exactly should we be doing? Calling out bad people is often the only thing we can do, we're not like Obama who once had enough power to bring consequences to evildoers but chose not to even try.

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018
Call-out culture is only a thing because people are tired of no consequences for the powerful that have always abused that power, so even ignoring what he's personally done, Obama shouldn't say this because he has a terrible track record of holding people accountable. Look at Bush after everything he did. Look at Wall Street after the real estate bubble burst. He knew about Russia before the 2016 election but wanted to appear neutral.

So what exactly should we be doing? Calling out bad people is often the only thing we can do, we're not like Obama who once had enough power to bring consequences to evildoers but chose not to even try.

This, basically. Of fucking course no one is perfect. But that's not the damn point. I don't expect perfection. I expect people to not get royally screwed over, and I expect the powerful to hold criminals accountable. Those aren't "good people". Politics isn't a damn sports game, it determines the lives of millions of people. I don't think it's asking for much to want a President that doesn't bomb people, take their money, and them from being able to take care of themselves. That's the bare fucking minimum. And the only thing that pisses me off just as much as the evil shit people do are the people that sit there and shrug at it. Because they fucking know it's wrong, they know they're in a position to do something about it, and they just ignore it anyway and lie because money. And when folks finally got fed up with people repeatedly getting away with truly evil shit while others shrug it off and cave in to them, yeah, you're damn right people are going to speak up about that.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Given the biggest failure of Obama's Presidency was that he was either unwilling or unable to stand up to people and forces that absolutely needed to be called out, it's amazing to see him chiding people on social media.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
well of course the real world isnt black and white its just a big ol gradient. How you choose to navigate that and if you do falter then how you decide to get yourself back up is what defines someone.

(extremes aside obviously)

Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
Given the biggest failure of Obama's Presidency was that he was either unwilling or unable to stand up to people and forces that absolutely needed to be called out, it's amazing to see him chiding people on social media.

Im sure a black man standing up to a congress dominated by racists who were doing everything in their power to obstruct anything he proposed would have gone swimmingly.

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
War criminal notices that people are calling out other war criminals and gets nervous that people might realize he is a war crimnal too. Let alone lucrative deals he makes after he is president.

MPrice

Alt account
Banned
Oct 18, 2019
Seeing people get baited Tulsi style over nameless criticisms and the response of shitting on Obama is both amazingly hilarious and sad at the same time. The hit dog always hollers.

CrocoDuck

Oct 28, 2017
I detected no lies. Could be broadly applied to many a discussion here on Era, including some taking place at this very moment.

The unwillingness by some to read between the lines, observe nuance, and/or allow people to make mistakes and grow is a disgusting culture that needs to die in a fucking fire. You're not perfect. Neither is anyone else. What matters is the direction people are going in, not whether they can answer every question and make every decision according to your perfect head canon.

QFT. This forum needs it.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
The funniest thing in all of this is that nobody told him call-outs have been replaced with cancels, making him look even more out of touch

Oct 25, 2017
Konoha
I mean he's right. Isolating and removing people from the conversation that agree with you 99% is a good way to assure that nothing gets done. And for everyone else, well you still have to work with them.
That doesn't mean conceding on certain points. People need to be held responsible for their actions, good and bad. But it doesn't mean we need to see them as irredeemable monsters. It leaves zero room for growth and in most cases is extremely hypocritical. People aren't pure and the default state is almost always negative just as result of the system we were born into, with things like bigotry and problematic views needing to be ironed out through both internal and external efforts.

thermopyle

Nov 8, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
So blatantly obvious that he's trying to cover up for Biden and probably himself. Nobody likes to be called out on things they do wrong, we get it, but also lol

MPrice

Alt account
Banned
Oct 18, 2019
So blatantly obvious that he's trying to cover up for Biden and probably himself. Nobody likes to be called out on things they do wrong, we get it, but also lol
Seems like you're flattering yourself thinking that he has a need to please you or still seek approval from people like you. The man is a mostly beloved 2 time President that has been swimming in cash since his term because he is still so popular. He doesn't have to comment on anything.

Perry Simm

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
The "genesis" of this forum eh? Can you fill in some of those blanks on what you mean here?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not exactly weeping over Tyler Malka losing a few million dollars. But what he did was a simple, understandable and very human mistake, and I think the collective reaction to it was extremely overblown.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Man, Biden must have some serious skeletons we don't know about.
Also, this is exactly the sort of spineless shit that I expect from Obama.
🙄 Considering that's 1.5 times the median income, yeah id say you're pretty rich. You're definitely well off and more so than most citizens in the US

It's actually 3.3x the median income.
The numbers that you're going to see with a quick search are always household numbers which are meaningless because of how much the number of earners in a household can vary.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Don't get me wrong, I'm not exactly weeping over Tyler Malka losing a few million dollars. But what he did was a simple, understandable and very human mistake, and I think the collective reaction to it was extremely overblown.

I think everything that has happened since proves that the dude was and is a massive fucking piece of shit. And I have concerns about boiling sexual assault and being a massive creep with no boundaries as "simple, understandable, and a very human mistake" that just got "overblown".

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017
I don't really agree with what he's saying here. Saying "nobody's perfect" is wildly over simplyfiyng a huge complicated problem.

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017
Whoa whoa whoa. Which of his actions did you think were understandable exactly?

MPrice

Alt account
Banned
Oct 18, 2019
I don't really agree with what he's saying here. Saying "nobody's perfect" is wildly over simplyfiyng a huge complicated problem.

There are huge problems and there are problems that aren't that get made to be. For instance spelling/grammar police twitter which he called out. I'm pretty sure Obama is not the only person tired of the *circlejerks.

Amnixia

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
That's an interesting way of not apologizing for bombing kids in Yemen....

Why are nearly all politicians trash?

Hope the US at least votes orange dingdong out of the office and replace him with Bernie.

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017
There are huge problems and there are problems that aren't that get made to be. For instance spelling/grammar police twitter which he called out. I'm pretty sure Obama is not the only person tired of the *circlejerks.
What damage do grammar police have on anything though? Has someone been "cancelled" for spelling mistakes?

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So what did Obama do with the grassroots coalition that got him elected?
Im sure a black man standing up to a congress dominated by racists who were doing everything in their power to obstruct anything he proposed would have gone swimmingly.
Homeboy and Dems had complete control of the government for two years iirc. No excuse. Obama is a half-stepper, he's always had one foot comfortably on the white ruling class's welcome mat and did not want to bother them too much.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Some people don't deserve 2nd chances, not all "mistakes" deserve to be forgiven

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017
Aren't you wildly oversimplifying what he is trying to say?
Sure, I'll admit I'm guilty of that. I will also say that I disagree somewhat fundamentally with the rest his statement, not just when he said "nobodys perfect". I think he's being a bit too forgiving to people in positions of power or wealth that end up abusing those privileges. Why should we forgive people who do awful things? Why should people not publicly respond negatively to actions they find harmful or abusive?

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He also has a quote from this about "accommodating existing structures". He's totally protecting his crew and throwing shade at progressives.

"Progress takes time..." just means can my donors get just one more decade of free milk out the cow???
Should be based on progress of the person and severity of the action. One thing I do agree with Jesus everything can be forgiven. Doesnt mean is has to be forgotten
Jesus would probably be happier if you agreed with him on trying to overturn the blatantly immoral establishment. Jesus ain't respect the charlatans in power.