Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
In Japan at the moment, and, generally people are incredibly polite and nice, but we have run into some situations where you can tell people do not want to deal with us.

And I get it. In my short time here, I have seen tourist be extremely rude , loud and disrespectful to those around them. In one instance, some family ignored the 'do not enter' sign at a cemetery in a shrine taking pictures, while people were there seemingly spending time with a deceased loved one. I have never experienced tourists acting like this anywhere else - they don't just give a fuck.

May 24, 2019
There were a bunch of tourists in that (I assume. Some could possibly be residents). If that was in Gion right now, I wonder if there are no actual barriers for them unless a cop happens to be around.

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
What does skin colour have to do with this? I have seen stupid behaviours like this from all kinds of tourists.

May 24, 2019
In Japan at the moment, and, generally people are incredibly polite and nice, but we have run into some situations where you can tell people do not want to deal with us.

And I get it. In my short time here, I have seen tourist be extremely rude , loud and disrespectful to those around them. In one instance, some family ignored the 'do not enter' sign at a cemetery in a shrine taking pictures, while people were there seemingly spending time with a deceased loved one. I have never experienced tourists acting like this anywhere else - they don't just give a fuck.
Damn. I hiked up to Otani cemetery in Kyoto and took pictures. I hope that wasn't forbidden.
nqOX0bH.jpeg
7l8eRBG.jpeg

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Damn. I hiked up to Otani cemetery in Kyoto and took pictures. I hope that wasn't forbidden.
nqOX0bH.jpeg
7l8eRBG.jpeg
No that's perfectly fine. If a cemetery is off limits there are signs. Went here myself a couple of times because of the view. There are cemetery part of hiking trails or places Japanese tourists come to take photographs.

I recommend visiting the grave of Hideyoshi. It's a really long and scary hike but the view is worth it

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018
Bruh, even the most basic anime con attendee has it drilled into them to NOT take photos of people without consent. You could've just politely asked. Not that this woman frequents anime cons... but you get my point.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Earlier this week, someone showed me a TikTok of a dumbass who basically almost ruined his wife's marathon run by placing himself in front of the finish line and sending their kids to hug mom. Now I see this.

TikTok is hellbent on making me mad this week damn
The one where the husband looks at the crowd after she runs past and shrugs going "what was up with that ? "

That one pissed me off lol

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
When I lived in Japan the number of tourists and crappy expats acting like fools was a continual source of embarrassment. I'm not sure if it's still the case, but Roppongi was the most notable example of how tourists/expats ruined a large section of Tokyo.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
What does skin colour have to do with this? I have seen stupid behaviours like this from all kinds of tourists.

Because white folks are known for doing dumb shit like this all the time.

My wife has tons of stories of tourists doing shit like this over the years in Hawaii not to mention all the times they fuck with seals or sea turtles when there are signs, and people, everywhere telling you not to do that shit.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
I was in Tokyo on business a few weeks after tourism opened back up. There was just a wild amount of people walking through scramble crossing with cameras and not paying attention. Inevitably, they crashed into people, everyone apologized, and then they did it again.

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017

My wife has tons of stories of tourists doing shit like this over the years in Hawaii not to mention all the times they fuck with seals or sea turtles when there are signs, and people, everywhere telling you not to do that shit.
In my experience, that would be Americans

Last edited:

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
i think its ok if you're taking pictures without bothering people, especially if you're a tourist. but the way she did it is just insane. borderline sociapathic.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Even at the orientation for my Japanese employment (!!!) there was a section drilling in that photographing or filming people without permission was a no-go. An inclusion which suggests that there are people trying to work in this country with behavior along these lines.

Wesker

Aug 3, 2020
I know that violence is never the answer ... buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut ...

*sigh*

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
i think its ok if you're taking pictures without bothering people, especially if you're a tourist. but the way she did it is just insane. borderline sociapathic.

Actually, its not ok if they have set rules prohibiting exactly that. This might be a hot take, but I dont get people taking photos of geishas or even cherry blossoms. Theres millions of pics online already..

On a tangent, when I was in Tokyo earlier in the year, I was walking down a dark alley in I think Asakusa, and a Geisha walked out of the shadows and fucking scarred the shit outta me.

Nov 4, 2017
"Should I pay to enjoy a genuine geisha cultural experience and maybe get a photo? Nah let's just harass a stranger in the street."

She's covering her like she's running defence in basketball. Wtf.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
Actually, its not ok if they have set rules prohibiting exactly that. This might be a hot take, but I dont get people taking photos of geishas or even cherry blossoms. Theres millions of pics online already..

On a tangent, when I was in Tokyo earlier in the year, I was walking down a dark alley in I think Asakusa, and a Geisha walked out of the shadows and fucking scarred the shit outta me.
not hard to understand, they just want their own photos to remember their own trip by.

but if theres a rule against it, fair enough. im not that opinionated about tourism photography.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
last time I was in kyoto, the hotel I was staying at even gave us flyers about not bothering the geisha.

You hear about dumbass behaviour like this but it's different actually seeing it in person or on video. I'm glad the restrictions are coming in to play to be honest.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
tourism here is a nightmare right now and i wish i could say this is rare, but im witnessing it more and more.

i feel like its also being taken out on foreign residents in a way that you wouldn't normally consider. its a constant battle having to figure out what is casual racism or residents just being really frustrated by impact to their daily lives/culture

so yeah, shit like this, youtube shorts/instagram reels/threads here celebrating the yen tanking... really great atmosphere right now

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
s or even cherry blossoms.
I mean it's one thing if it's of people and/or there are specific rules in place (e.g. the many shrines with non-photography areas), but if you draw the line at "stuff that's pretty well-known," you very quickly arrive at "no one should photograph anything, anywhere," because at this point there are lots of photos of everything you can imagine, haha. Plenty of locals snap shots of things like cherry blossoms too, after all.
tourism here is a nightmare right now and i feel like its also being taken out on foreign residents in a way that you wouldn't normally consider. its a constant battle having to figure out what is casual racism or residents just being really frustrated by impact to their daily lives/culture

so yeah, shit like this, youtube shorts/instagram reels/threads here celebrating the yen tanking... really great atmosphere right now
I sat on a bench to wait for the bus the other day and an old guy literally got up and moved to another bench, lmao. I think I'll chalk that one up to the xenophobia.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
I watched few seconds and felt my blood pressure rising and had to turn off... I just don't get people, this is already a bad behaviour in itself of doing it anywhere, but as a tourist harassing a local like this? Revoke her damn visa

nded

Nov 14, 2017
What made this uncomfortable to me is that she's acting like she's trying to take a picture of a bird or something. It doesn't seem to cross her mind that she's dealing with another human being.

construct

Jun 5, 2020
東京
I sat on a bench to wait for the bus the other day and an old guy literally got up and moved to another bench, lmao. I think I'll chalk that one up to the xenophobia.
this is one of the most hurtful things i feel on a daily basis on the train. everyone tries to tell me its a blessing that no one will sit near you, but i hate it.

anyway, im probably being very american and making this about me when its really a bigger issue. apologies

or even cherry blossoms.
ehh? where have you heard this? I can only imagine this being a problem in a store

Spesi

Apr 26, 2022
Finland
After living next to some local tourist attractions (Nordics) for the past 5-ish years, at least here it feels that some people just snap out basic manners after stepping out from the plane. Got to experience this same type of behavior from OP last summer while taking our dog to morning walk. It was a most bizarre moment I've witnessed so far. Best part was when I asked that wth she's doing, she just bailed out. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
this is one of the most hurtful things i feel on a daily basis on the train. everyone tries to tell me its a blessing that no one will sit near you, but i hate it.

anyway, im probably being very american and making this about me when its really a bigger issue. apologies

ehh? where have you heard this? I can only imagine this being a problem in a store

Nah, I didnt say there was a ban on cherry blossom shots. Just that I dont really get the hoopla over it every year. Maybe cause I have cherry blossoms where I live and dont think its a big deal.

rckvla

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, insanely disrespectful. I've been to Japan several times and I always try my best to do what the locals are doing.

construct

Jun 5, 2020
東京
Nah, I didnt say there was a ban on cherry blossom shots. Just that I dont really get the hoopla over it every year. Maybe cause I have cherry blossoms where I live and dont think its a big deal.
ah yeah that makes sense. its one thing to take photos, its another to impact others which i feel is a real learning curve for everyone that visits. if tourists could be better about their boundaries it would go a long way IMO

Annie85x

Mar 12, 2020
What a dickhead.

Some of the behaviour of other tourists when I was in Japan made me hang my head in shame.
No matter where I am I'll always be respectful and try do as the locals do. I don't understand why people can't just be normal and do the same.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
She knows this is rude, she can see the other people's reactions and the woman herself trying to avoid her gaze, so she runs after her - the tourist just doesn't give a fuck, her social media feed is more important.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth

And it's usally the tourist that are the worst, oversea student are actually pretty nice here in Taiwan.

The other one that are bad are the western "Christian" that want to convert people to their religion.

Last big incident was when a US christian group, paid off a local official, and held a religious ceronomy right next to the place where one of the Taiwanese aboriginal is doing a ritual/ceronomy for their ancestor.
And made alot of the big news here in Taiwan, with the official saying it's a open place they rented legally by payig him money, and the church saying they were also "paying" respect to the aborigial