• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What rating do you think this game will get?

• 90+

Votes: 98 12.2%
  • 80+

Votes: 475 59.2%
  • 70+

Votes: 99 12.3%
  • 60+

Votes: 13 1.6%
  • "Garbage like Xenoblade 2"

Votes: 117 14.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
It's not just that they don't meet though, it's that the characters don't have any meaningful interaction
So ?

Do soldiers you recruit in tacticals have interractions ?

It's a video game. It's trying something new. A big world with eight lives. Accommodating the player by letting them play all of them and recruitall of them for gameplay usefulness.
Games are not allowed to do that ?

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Saga Scarlet Grace works kinda the same and it's still the best RPG on last gen more or less.

So please, BRING MORE rpg with main characters not interracting together.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
It's a video game. It's trying something new. A big world with eight lives. Accommodating the player by letting them play all of them and recruitall of them for gameplay usefulness.
Games are not allowed to do that ?
They can do that, but a long JRPG with segmented narratives where characters are siloed (but also aren't) sounds like it could be very sterile to me.

That's why people are preparing for disappointment, they expected a more integrated narrative with payoff for the ensemble rather than some mini-stories which progress parallel.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yes, main characters don't interact much, but each chapter has their own unique characters that does. And also there is probably only 2 people on ERA that likes Unlimited Saga anyway.

Romancing SaGa 1 and 3 also has similar 8 protagonists structure and there are very few character interactions in those 2 games.

visvim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game is out at my place according to several people on forums. Going to get a copy if true.
Same, on my way to pick up a copy in about a half hour.

Gotta have my oatmeal and fruit first :)

I'm excited, but also a bit dubious of buying this day 1 after the complaints about disconnected story and characters which are the two major reasons I love JRPG's, but we will see.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Romancing SaGa 1 and 3 also has similar 8 protagonists structure and there are very few character interactions in those 2 games.
Works with other saga games that are liked anyway.

I'll go back to what I say. RS3 has 15+ playable characters on top of the main characters and they inform the plot even as lightly as they do in this SNES JRPG. In Octopath the main characters other than the character's chapter might as well not exist and there is not any other playable character outside the main 8 that has any influence on the plot or accompanies you in your journey. I think it's a pretty fundamental difference as to how SaGa does things narratively vs Octopath. Octopath has Tales Of/Star Ocean-esque skits though

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
That's the first game that make me really want to buy a switch.... *__*
Liked both Bravely Default (more the first).

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
I'll go back to what I say. RS3 has 15+ playable characters on top of the main characters and they inform the plot even as lightly as they do in this SNES JRPG. In Octopath the main characters other than the character's chapter might as well not exist and there is not any other playable character outside the main 8 that has any influence on the plot or accompanies you in your journey. I think it's a pretty fundamental difference as to how SaGa does things narratively vs Octopath. Octopath has Tales Of/Star Ocean-esque skits though
I'm taking Scarlet Grace or Romancing Saga Minstrel Song as examples personaly. And it still works.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Did you play RS3?
RS3 is pretty much a single character story per playthrough. Other characters you recruit are just simply for gameplay purposes.

Most of the characters do nothing to the plot after their recruitment scenario. There are only 1-2 characters who affect story, of the top of my head I can only recall Herman.
Bringing Herman to beat Forneus will give you modified scenes for that particular scenario, but he doesn't do anything either outside of it and his rec.

E.g.Nora only tells he will go on a journey together to find his father's killer and spear, but nothing ever happens.
The Robins only ever appear in their short recruitment scenario.
Most main characters you can recruit simply by talking to them and after that they do nothing at all.
I haven't even mentioned the myriads of "lesser character" like Boston, Zo, Yuki, Fairy, etc.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Just woke up and it seems like the "final chapter" dream is dead. Ah, well, the game should be fun nonetheless but the revelation's definitely hampered my excitement a bit. I guess I just like it when there's something entirely new that surprises me near the end of a game.

With that over I can now focus on deciding who to start with!

知らぬ

May 9, 2018
tokyo
SasFfVR.jpg

JP

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Same, on my way to pick up a copy in about a half hour.

Gotta have my oatmeal and fruit first :)

I'm excited, but also a bit dubious of buying this day 1 after the complaints about disconnected story and characters which are the two major reasons I love JRPG's, but we will see.
Failed to find the store selling it even though I got to the right mall :(

Anyway, guess I will get it on release date.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Did you play RS3?
RS3 is pretty much a single character story per playthrough. Other characters you recruit are just simply for gameplay purposes.

Most of the characters do nothing to the plot after their recruitment scenario. There are only 1-2 characters who affect story, of the top of my head I can only recall Herman.
Bringing Herman to beat Forneus will give you modified scenes for that particular scenario, but he doesn't do anything either outside of it and his rec.

E.g.Nora only tells he will go on a journey together to find his father's killer and spear, but nothing ever happens.
The Robins only ever appear in their short recruitment scenario.
Most main characters you can recruit simply by talking to them and after that they do nothing at all.
I haven't even mentioned the myriads of "lesser character" like Boston, Zo, Yuki, Fairy, etc.

Yes I've played RS3 though I've not finished it completely. I remember vividly that main characters appears on each other's scenario and some knows each other. They're all part of a similar conflict and some are related in many ways. Some playable characters are also part of sidequests that leads to their recruitment so they're definitely a part of this world, too. You can't say they don't know each other story-wise, even if they hardly interact between each other. The limitations of a non-linear JRPG didn't prevent them to add a myriad of ways to follow characters. Romancing Saga 3 is most likely going to be on switch in less than a year from now so it'll be interesting to see how players who played Octopath will see how RS3 stacks up and how different it is.

latest

Plum

May 31, 2018
To anyone who's wondering it looks like the Easy Allies haven't received a review copy for the game so don't expect a revew on Thursday.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yes I've played RS3 though I've not finished it completely. I remember vividly that main characters appears on each other's scenario and some knows each other. They're all part of a similar conflict and some are related in many ways. Some playable characters are also part of sidequests that leads to their recruitment so they're definitely a part of this world, too. You can't say they don't know each other story-wise, even if they hardly interact between each other. The limitations of a non-linear JRPG didn't prevent them to add a myriad of ways to follow characters. Romancing Saga 3 is most likely going to be on switch in less than a year from now so it'll be interesting to see how players who played Octopath will see how RS3 stacks up and how different it is.

latest

Aside from the intro quest, the other main characters do nothing.
Yes they do know each other, but knowing someone doesn't mean you'll go together in a quest to kill 4 Legendary Beasts.
If let say you pick Julian as your main, you can recruit everyone except for Katrina.
How you recruit them: Find their location, talk to them => Instajoin
There's nothing explaining their motivation or their personal quest.
I also brought up "issues" with other non-main characters: The girl with 1000 names, Bard, Zo, Boston, Yuki, Nora, etc.
The way I see it, both OT and RS3 focuses more on the gameplay aspects and sacrifice "immersion" aspects.

Romancing Saga 3 is one of my top SNES JRPG, so I'll be awaiting its English release hopefully this year.
Looking forward to see the reaction from ERA, though judging by how quiet the reaction to RS2 is (the OT hasn't even reached half the page count of this preview thread lol), I'm not expecting much to be honest.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's disappointing for sure and I can see why some would choose not to buy it though.

The number people that will not buy this game because of this "I am so sad it has no overarching story and the distinct characters have distinct stories like the marketing said but I expected otherwise nonetheless because all my mediocre RPGs did it so and I can not enjoy stories without the power of friendship and I hate it anyway when a JRPG has no cute characters so I will write a few posts on the internet because the world is sad" are probably not even measureable and will totally go under in the huge amount of people buying and enjoying the game.

Short said: The people who cares about this made up "story problem" are in no way relevant for the sales of Octopath.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
The people who cares about this made up "story problem" are in no way relevant for the sales of Octopath.
The story problem isn't made up though especially when you have certain elements tying into each of their stories.

Like I said before, it makes no sense for Ophilia to go on her journey to different locations and not pick up one of the other seven for help.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, for me nothing bad can happen :

- great game, does well : dlc/sequel

- mediocre game : Bravely Default type HD here we fucking go

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, if we're lucky, maybe we'll get an HD port regardless? Maybe another game, too.

I really wish BD had become Square's template instead of the super low budget with 0 effort put into artstyle RPGs like setsuna.

We'll see ! But I want to see more in that style. At a normal resolution. :p

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Just woke up and it seems like the "final chapter" dream is dead. Ah, well, the game should be fun nonetheless but the revelation's definitely hampered my excitement a bit. I guess I just like it when there's something entirely new that surprises me near the end of a game.

With that over I can now focus on deciding who to start with!
Is it still a surprise if you must know if it exists before the game is even out tho? Lol.

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
Because it's something different that's been emphatically marketed as such, and you don't like it?

I'm excited for the tonal range of eight stories, personally.

This is what I saw marketed. If you took from that join up as a party but not really because they aren't really there or might as well not be as far as the stories are concerned then so be it.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
H'aanit is the most broken character in the game.
She is the only one that can do 6-9k if you capture mini-boss...could ruin the game for you >.>

Nonetheless, H'annit is a great character even if you don't use summon.

H'aanit's very powerful but those optional bosses only have a few finite uses, then they're gone forever since they don't reappear.

jipewithin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They really shit the bed choosing this style of storytelling. That's cool though I'm sure the positive aspects of the game will make up for it.
Why? I mean, what's wrong with it?

I have neutral stance on it and can't see why would "grand overarching story" be better than 8 different ones? If each character has actually interesting and meaningful story I really don't see how is it a bad thing.

I mean it has been marketed like that for the whole time. I can't comprehend why would anyone think it's something else.

This is what I saw marketed. If you took from that join up as a party but not really because they aren't really there or might as well not be as far as the stories are concerned then so be it.

Youtube trailers tell otherwise. And I mean there are 8 characters in those concept arts.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
Probably not. You can just keep the save.

They are different sizes, though not by much.

Oh ok. Thanks.

Put in two hours in the second demo, most if not all that time was just playing it now.

I just saw this thread and thought I need to continue with my game.

I never played the previous titles ( bravely default plus the old FF games) but I chose the thief in this one, and to be honest I am new to these types of games.

I am going to continue playing it because I'm liking it quite a bit.

I played a tiny bit of the first demo as well.

Just one thing I don't understand, where is the health bars of enemies in combat.

I really don't know how close I am at defeating them. Lol.

Edit: Reading the IGN guide and understand now. Enemies HP is hidden and eventually they fade away.

Last edited: