• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What rating do you think this game will get?

• 90+

Votes: 98 12.2%
  • 80+

Votes: 475 59.2%
  • 70+

Votes: 99 12.3%
  • 60+

Votes: 13 1.6%
  • "Garbage like Xenoblade 2"

Votes: 117 14.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just so curious what is hidden with that 'Final/EX Boss' song. Listened to it again and the epic score and operatic singing gave me all the chills.

It's super meta and not in the game itself. It's the theme song the team chose for the epic final battle on twitter against the poor sap that is going to tank the MC store by ranking it below 8. Enjoy the riveting song harmonized with a rich voice as the army of morons sends death threats to a fellow that didn't like the game.

Dunban

Oct 28, 2017

I don't know about you, Mr. not-Kaz-Hirai, but anything less than the protagonists teaming up to kill god is enough to plant a game firmly in 'worse than Big Rigs' territory for me.

That is not the case

It's not the case that they nixed that particular idea? So the musical intros are still in? I'm somewhat doubting that, but hey, it would be nice to be wrong; Primrose's one was particularly nice in the first demo.

I'll walk into a retailer tomorrow and get it for $45 US (not including our 10% GST).

You mean the $69 at JB?

Chumley

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You know what. Fuck it.

I don't care if you guys get this game or not.

You not sure you want to play it? Go ahead and skip it then.

If it's not a "Hell Yes" then it's a "Hell No".

Jesus this thread

I need someone to break down for me why "But are the stories connected?" is driving so many people to the point of madness.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
I think the game will score a B- on the Metacritic. I should note that I'm a bit of an expert in predicting Metacritic scores, so you all can trust me.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I just hopped back into the old demo from last year. At what point is it supposed to end. Is it the two NPCs you meat at the two dead-ends in the mountain area?

othersteve

Oct 29, 2017
I have spent a few days pondering it, and I do think I will be disappointed in the lack of story convergence in the game. Yes, I realize it's bucking the trends, refusing to bow to tropes, etc, etc... but the fact is, this is a game that had the potential to really be something special if it had fit all of the pieces together. Without a cohesive conclusion exploring the final, epic struggle to save mankind (or similar) by the unlikely group of heroes, it really feels a bit like a wasted opportunity. Like it's actually just missing that piece of the puzzle altogether.

Still day one, but perhaps a slightly less enthusiastic one.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Got the funds together... Now just have to decide if I want to spend 60 to play the download version at midnight, or 50 and pick it up from best buy the day of...

OP
OP
Meelow

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
I just hopped back into the old demo from last year. At what point is it supposed to end. Is it the two NPCs you meat at the two dead-ends in the mountain area?

The first demo doesn't have a time limit, however you can only play as Olberic or Primrose and you can't leave their starting areas.

Chumley

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have spent a few days pondering it, and I do think I will be disappointed in the lack of story convergence in the game. Yes, I realize it's bucking the trends, refusing to bow to tropes, etc, etc... but the fact is, this is a game that had the potential to really be something special if it had fit all of the pieces together. Without a cohesive conclusion exploring the final, epic struggle to save mankind (or similar) by the unlikely group of heroes, it really feels a bit like a wasted opportunity. Like it's actually just missing that piece of the puzzle altogether.

Still day one, but perhaps a slightly less enthusiastic one.

Who fucking cares. Why is everyone freaking out about this shit without even playing the individual stories?

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Who fucking cares. Why is everyone freaking out about this shit without even playing the individual stories?

Setting expectations.

I've said it before, but I think talking through this stuff in this thread and my issues with the design of it is going to make the game more enjoyable for me, not less. I appreciate having heard about how it all works in advance and talking through the apparent issues, rather than being blindly frustrated by them as I play (and, honestly, it'll hopefully mean I got all my writing about it out now and I'll be less distracted while playing, hah).

Now I'm more excited for some things than I was, like the path actions, and have accepted more that some aspects will likely disappoint me so I know not to expect more.

Totakeke

Oct 25, 2017
So what time EST do reviews drop? 12am? 3am?

thj1wry.png

http://opencritic.com/game/6231/octopath-traveler

Oct 25, 2017
That is not the case, and the battle music changes throughout the game apparently.

8 travelers. 8 stories. 8% metacritic.

I haven't played the second demo (nor the full game, obviously), but from a quick glance at the demo tracks on Youtube it seems like they decided to drop the idea of character-specific intros to the boss battle themes. Is that actually the case, or have I missed something?

Look up "For Treasure" for Tressa's. They are there, but properly split out.

Multiple main battle tracks and multiple main boss musics, too.

othersteve

Oct 29, 2017
Well, for one, I care, because to me, this seemed poised to be a legitimate revival of the classic jRPG formula from the 90s and early 2000s, which is near and dear to my heart and an absolute bright spot in my gaming memories.

It's hardly important that we agree on this (I mean, seriously, why does it matter?), but let me put it this way: It's great to have new experiences and try different formulas, but when a game (at first glance) nearly universally evokes comparisons to past classics -- and when many of those who've been previewing it have been complicit in marketing it as such an experience -- it's a shame when the final product winds up being a sort of eleventh hour bait-and-switch.

It's probably going to wind up being a terrific game, sure. But for anyone who appreciates rich interactions between protagonists and a harmonious sense of closure ushered in by a climactic, collaborative final chapter, it's still going to be missing an ingredient.

Last edited:

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know reviews arent out yet but since a lot of info is out already (and even the full game in some teritories), but I'd like to know about side quests.

How in depth can they get? Can any of them have their own cutscenes and or multiple characters talking (besides your character and the quest giver).

Spoilerish question:
Does the Kit guy you meet at after completing any character's chapter 1 come back in some meaningful way?

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Well, for one, I care, because to me, this seemed poised to be a legitimate revival of the classic jRPG formula from the 90s and early 2000s, which is near and dear to my heart and an absolute bright spot in my gaming memories.

It's hardly important that we agree on this (I mean, seriously, why does it matter?), but let me put it this way: It's great to have new experiences and try different formulas, but when a game (at first glance) nearly universally evokes comparisons to past classics -- and when many of those who've been previewing it have been complicit in marketing it as such an experience -- it's a shame when the final product winds up being a sort of eleventh hour bait-and-switch.

It's probably going to wind up being a terrific game, sure. But for anyone who appreciates rich interactions between protagonists and a harmonious sense of closure ushered in by a climactic, collaborative final chapter, it's still going to be missing an ingredient.

Just off the top of my head, both Earthbound & Dragon Quest/Warrior IV had no inter-party interaction whatsoever so Octopath Traveler is already ahead of the curve there even if all it has are the one-on-one conversations (that are already confirmed to be in the game).

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I know reviews arent out yet but since a lot of info is out already (and even the full game in some teritories), but I'd like to know about side quests.

How in depth can they get? Can any of them have their own cutscenes and or multiple characters talking (besides your character and the quest giver).

Spoilerish question:
Does the Kit guy you meet at after completing any character's chapter 1 come back in some meaningful way?

Yes, first of all.

Side quests can get pretty in-depth, from what little I know, requiring multiple path actions, and having significantly different resolutions depending on the path actions used. In the first demo you could beat up a drunkard and make him clean his act up, bringing his family back together, or help bring his daughter's entertainment talents to the attention of a tavern owner and launch her career, leaving the drunk father to his fate.

Some side quests have their own bosses, and others have multiple parts taking place across different cities, with the same recurring character(s).

othersteve

Oct 29, 2017
Just off the top of my head, both Earthbound & Dragon Quest/Warrior IV had no inter-party interaction whatsoever so Octopath Traveler is already ahead of the curve there even if all it has are the one-on-one conversations (that are already confirmed to be in the game).
Yes, that's true -- it's just that the game has been so endlessly likened to FFVI and its relatives that I think everyone began to preliminarily accept that comparison. It comes off as strikingly similar in design, even right down to the different character themes (with different lead instruments), similar art styles, and so on.

hongcha

Oct 27, 2017
I asked earlier, but according to the official Japanese website for the game, all versions will have the same text options (Japanese, English, etc). So I just bought the Japanese version because it was cheapest (in my case).

Oct 25, 2017
I for one, will be super psyched if the difficulty holds well throughout the game.

Here's a video of level 60 (50-60?) party battling an apparently level 40 recommended optional boss. There isn't any spoilers except for late game battle skills and jobs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9YygX-HuJE

Game length and completion #s you can see on his next video:
82 hours in, still hasn't completed most of the character plots.