• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What rating do you think this game will get?

• 90+

Votes: 98 12.2%
  • 80+

Votes: 475 59.2%
  • 70+

Votes: 99 12.3%
  • 60+

Votes: 13 1.6%
  • "Garbage like Xenoblade 2"

Votes: 117 14.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ. I'm super pumped, but come the fuck on. Jason's allowed to have a dissenting opinion. Most of you haven't even played it, and you're ignoring the PLETHORA of positive impressions and honing in on one guy perfectly within his right to be less enthusiastic. Jason's criticisms are well-written and thoughtful, regardless of how much they differ from the general consensus. He didn't have to engage with any of you at all, but he did.

This is why I rarely post here. This. Get over yourselves.
You have to reread

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, the difference in vibe between this thread and the other threads for the game is worrying. Lets hope the game turns out well because, if it doesn't, that would really suck giving all the excitement that's led up to it.
I mean, pretty much all the previews are glowing except Jason's and he says he still likes the game so it's pretty much just ERA getting worried

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think at the end of the day, taking the FFVI comparisons (or any other made comparisons) from previews at this point is very very dangerous. We don't know the full scope of the game until reviews hit, and it's best to maintain expectations at a certain level before you burn yourselves.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still looking forward to playing this, but will keep my major plot expectations in check.

Funny to see so many in this thread freak out over Jason's opinion of XB2, though. I mean, do you only play JRPG's on nintendo systems? It's easily in the top 10 most boring and cringey RPG's I've ever played and I've played at least a hundred.

Totakeke

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's pretty clear if you want a rpg that's mostly about a single overarching storyline this is probably not it. But even if Famitsu review scores are unreliable, I can't imagine the reviewers being okay with playing a JRPG that doesn't have a decent story. That would be a pretty big departure from what people expect from a JRPG. So maybe that the stories are not strongly interconnected is really not that big of a deal.

Just have to wait for the full reviews.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
All the previews are positive, but the main concern (that some people that played more than 50 hours share) is if there's an overall story that unites all the characters in a common plot, aside from the 8 personal stories.

Oct 25, 2017
It's more about seeing flaws in the game and discussing how things could have been different to make it better.

The biggest flaws currently seem to be:
-All 8 characters use the same recipe in their stories, gameplay isn't varied and the game suffers from predictable pacing issues (town/cutscenes > dungeon > cutscenes > dungeon > cutscenes > dungeon).
-No party interaction, despite working alongside other party members.
-Your non-current path party members vanish and reappear of out the story cutscenes - they don't have any input to what takes place.
-No overaching plot that connects the party members' stories together.
-Characters outside your party don't gain XP so you can't use them unless you grind them up to match the levels of the other characters you wanted to play.
-Characters don't really fit together naturally and don't address their careers being at ends with each other (paladin/noble types going on quests to steal, etc).

I don't think some of these, such as there not being an overarching plot, are flaws so much as different design choices. It's clear that Octopath Traveler doesn't meet the criteria of what many people want out of a JRPG, that being a strongly directed central storyline featuring a playable party with lots of dialogue between them, but that doesn't necessarily make what it's doing bad. A game doesn't have to be all things for all people (which is, of course, ultimately impossible).

Octopath seems to be designed with the intention that you will not get everyone and see everything in a single playthrough, which I'm sure will annoy people who feel the need to do that, but I don't think that's necessarily a poor design decision.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still looking forward to playing this, but will keep my major plot expectations in check.

Funny to see so many in this thread freak out over Jason's opinion of XB2, though. I mean, do you only play JRPG's on nintendo systems? It's easily in the top 10 most boring and cringey RPG's I've ever played and I've played at least a hundred.
I'm getting tired of this

You can say "I dislike Xenoblade 2, and found its flaws to overwhelm what few things I appreciated" instead of "Xenoblade 2 is garbage".

One is a nuanced and balanced statement. The other is dismissive hyperbole, which, ironically, is exactly what Jason was speaking out against earlier in the thread.

The issue was not that Jason dislikes Xenoblade 2, or that you do. The issue was how he chose to say that, right after advising people against hyperbole.

Parshias

Oct 25, 2017
A summation of every preview/review thread on ERA:

Outlet 1: The game is great.
Outlet 2: The game is great.
Outlet 3: The game is great.
Outlet 4: The game is great.
Outlet 5: Eh, the game isn't that great.
ERA: I KNEW IT
*10 pages of bickering*

SigEpTendo

Oct 27, 2017
The Shadows
There seem to be three types of people commenting in this thread:

1. People arguing semantics and slightly thread detailing by trying to discount Jason's opinions.

2. People, despite preview evidence to the contrary and not having played it themselves, saying exactly what is and isn't in the game (for example, being absolutely sure there is a grand connecting story despite little evidence beyond a 10 second blurb on the E3 treehouse).

3. People who are concerned with the game's potential shortfalls and are trying to temper expectations.

I preordered this game and am hoping for the best, but no overarching story, with minimal character interaction, is concerning.

I don't take that treehouse comment as confirmation for an overall story. The guy says each character contributes in their own way; that "way" could certainly be self contained in their own story.

Regardless, amusing thread to read so far. Keep it up, everyone!

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

*10 pages of bickering*
He didn't even say it wasn't good though, lol.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all care too much about whoever this Jason is.

This thread right now:

maxresdefault.jpg

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think some of these, such as there not being an overarching plot, are flaws so much as different design choices. It's clear that Octopath Traveler doesn't meet the criteria of what many people want out of a JRPG, that being a strongly directed central storyline featuring a playable party with lots of dialogue between them, but that doesn't necessarily make what it's doing bad. A game doesn't have to be all things for all people (which is, of course, ultimately impossible).

Octopath seems to be designed with the intention that you will not get everyone and see everything in a single playthrough, which I'm sure will annoy people who feel the need to do that, but I don't think that's necessarily a poor design decision.

I mean, I think the issue more than anything else is just that it doesn't make sense to have these eight characters travel together. None of them have anything in common, they never talk to each other, and most of them wouldn't even like each other if they did. So why even bother letting the player recruit them? Why not give the player character-specific party members?

It just feels weirdly empty to have seven empty shells following the player's chosen protagonist around who never contribute to the game in any way.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
No one care if he don't like it. The problem is he come with stupid hyperbole. Don't be shock that others will call him out there.

This also reminds me that people said that he mentioned in a podcast how: "people will realize that XC2 is bad once that there are more RPGs on Switch" or something like that. Not only disregarding other people's opinions but it also is blatantly false since we already have things like Battle Chasers and Ys VIII on the system now and it doesn't make me think any less of XC2.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think gonna hold off with my preorder until after the reviews come out. I hope this ends up being a great game, I literally have e nothing else to get for Switch until Smash.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Yeah, characters not in your party not gaining EXP is annoying and requires to do grinding for them.
It depends on how fast underleveled characters catch up with your current party.
Trails in the Sky games don't give exp. to the backup party members, but when you fight with an underleveled character he/she will level up extremely fast, so it's not that big of a deal.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I find it weird that people are criticizing the fact that this has a gameplay loop. I guess the same people that thought Persona 5 was boring because "you just did the same thing over and over".

Define grinding for you, cause for some people "light grinding" (like some battle here and there in the dungeon before a boss) is not grinding.

I've heard people here saying that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 doesn't require grinding which is not true in my opinion.

If you played Pokémon for example, there is a lot of grinding since Red & Blue, especially if you care about all the evolutions, or even at the beginning if you start with the "wrong" one.

Pokemon is a good example that I forgot, you're right, I have grinded there (although not necessarily to progress but because raising different Pokemon is part of the fun).

Grinding for me is intentionally getting into more battles than you need to.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017

*10 pages of bickering*

That doesn't represent what happened in this thread at all.

Please go back and read it.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
Personal attacks aside, as Jason is clearly a great videogames reporter, I agree that staying away from Jason's impressions on JRPG is a wise decision, if you like the genre to begin with - because he seems to want more reformative changes to the formula than most of us expect or want. On this preview in particular, however, I don't see any problem in calling out that the characters don't interact enough, and that the stories feel silo-ed, which is a worry I have. Hopefully after the different storylines are done, the main storyline kicks in and we can see characters interact more. Can't wait for that full review from EZA.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
All the previews are positive, but the main concern (that some people that played more than 50 hours share) is if there's an overall story that unites all the characters in a common plot, aside from the 8 personal stories.
Jesus....if it didn't happen by 50 hours in, it probably won't happen.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
It depends on how fast underleveled characters catch up with your current party.
Trails in the Sky games have don't give exp. to the backup party members, but when you fight with an underleveled character he/she will level up extremely fast, so it's not that big of a deal.
Some of the previews and even in a treehouse vid i watch, the random monsters later in the game is super hard.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Name dropping FFXVI in that preview is so corny and unnecessary IMO, because right now FFXVI is nothing except the most idealistic, romanticized representation of that series in the mind of every fan. Let Octopath be its own thing, and not some quasi successor to FFVI or someone's FFXVI headcanon.
Lol, wanted to post the same when I read that. I always roll my eyes at statements like those. No, Octopath is nothing like a new mainline FF should and would be today, come on. If you think otherwise you don't understand the essence of the series for at least the last 20(!) years now.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap, glad someone quoted you cause i almost missed this. This is hugely annoying, and may even be worst than the non connecting characters.

Like the levels between characters are going to be so disjointed, and your main will always be wayyy stronger than the rest.

Edit: also funny cause your party is who im deciding to main.

Yeah, characters not in your party not gaining EXP is annoying and requires to do grinding for them.

Unused party members NOT gaining exp is one of my biggest RPG pet peeves. If it was a design oversight -and not done for a meaningful reason - I hope it can be patched by SE.

Thanks for the update jschreier

From what I understand from other previewers, although benched characters don't share EXP, the EXP curve is such that they catch up quickly. Can't speak from experience, but that sounds quite fine to me, if unideal.

To the people saying all of Octopath's scenarios follow the same basic structure:

Of course they do. They're all prologues. They're all meant to serve as introductions to the mechanics of the games, and the character you've chosen.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

I would argue that both the people who are hyped AND the people who aren't hyped went "I KNEW IT WOULD BE [X]", where [X] is good or not good depending on your predisposed opinion.

That's what previews do - they confirm people's preconceived judgments of a game before they get a chance to play it.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Lol, wanted to post the same when I read that. I always roll my eyes at statements like those. No, Octopath is nothing like a new mainline FF should and would be today, come on. If you think otherwise you don't understand the essence of the series for at least the last 20(!) years now.
Likewise, which is why wouldnt even take that preview seriously, cause he already doesnt know what hes talking about.

kuroneko0509

Oct 25, 2017
1. People arguing semantics and slightly thread detailing by trying to discount Jason's opinions.
i fail to see pressing him for example about gameplay variety thing is just arguing about semantics in order to discount his opinions, when his example is the one that ends up far from being correct about it no matter how you would try to see it

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, I think the issue more than anything else is just that it doesn't make sense to have these eight characters travel together. None of them have anything in common, they never talk to each other, and most of them wouldn't even like each other if they did. So why even bother letting the player recruit them? Why not give the player character-specific party members?

It just feels weirdly empty to have seven empty shells following the player's chosen protagonist around who never contribute to the game in any way.

Yeah, that does seem like a large oversight, and it sounds like it would have been better if each character recruited different NPCs that made sense to their story, and trying to shoehorn in the 8 characters to be together – then in the same breath have them totally ignore each other outside of fighting together in battles, and upon more reflection then realize it actually makes no sense why they'd want to be together in the first place.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think in a game that's about playing through everyone's individual stories, where each individual's chapter is level-gated (or recommended, or whatever), those characters not getting XP when they're not in-party is actually a HUGE fuckin deal. Enough so to maybe turn me off the game entirely.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Unused party members NOT gaining exp is one of my biggest RPG pet peeves. If it was a design oversight -and not done for a meaningful reason - I hope it can be patched by SE.

Thanks for the update jschreier
Part of the setup is you encounter them along your journey and ask them to help out, whenever they are not in your active party, it's not merely that they are not active, but rather they are miles away drinking in a tavern where it'd make no sense for them to gain experience

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Seems this game is gonna be a king example of ludonarrative dissonance discussion. The 8 travelers teaming up is very clearly gameplay and fun convenience. Their 8 stories clearly give no reasons for the characters to team up and work together and I imagine all 8 paths are designed to be cleared solo.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This also reminds me that people said that he mentioned in a podcast how: "people will realize that XC2 is bad once that there are more RPGs on Switch" or something like that. Not only disregarding other people's opinions but it also is blatantly false since we already have things like Battle Chasers and Ys VIII on the system now and it doesn't make me think any less of XC2.

He is a petty guy i guess? He can't handle others liking the game he hated. Especially with how Xeno 2 now being the most successful Xeno series lol. Hell, the more update XC2 get, the more it become better in my eyes lol. And the moment the Golden Torna drop, it will go even higher on my best Jrpg of the generation.

Also. Imagining liking NnK more than Xenoblade lol.

krlitros87

Oct 28, 2017
I really don't get why is so bad to not be able to level up a character which is not in your party :/

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee

Yes this is what I want to know. I always assumed 8 ppl would each have their own stories like companions in Mass Effect, but that you would also be heading down a "bigger" story outside all of those. I hope this is the case but i'm
there day 1 regardless :)

Oct 28, 2017

*10 pages of bickering*
GameXplain doesn't really indicate that it's great either and these guys tend to be really positive on the games they choose to cover. :P

That said I'm expecting a decent game.