• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like so many reviewers are getting caught up in whether a game will be a classic or not. Just review it, there is no way to tell what people will think months down the line

This happens a lot. I think the unsaid part of this is, "should we play Octopath Traveller or some classic JRPG we never played before."

Django.Mango

Jan 31, 2018
Arent most of jrpg grindy and repetitive? BD, DQ, EO, SMT, FF etc. Dont know any (turn based) jrpg that has not these attributes. So why wondering its in a game that is authenticly targeting these?

Always loved them cause of the stories, combat, arts etc., not for their archaic gameplay design.

Kylo Rey

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
Seriously

F*** Neogaf and Resetera when it's about reviews.
I mean it's not just review it's about "it's a JRPG it can't be 8/10" same as Assassin's Creed who need to be a BAD GAME since now he's the douchbag of gaming community even if Origins is awesome and Odyssey seems great, because IT'S NOT F******* EZIO

seriously guys come on, look at yourselves, this topic is insane!

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Here you're mostly just visiting intact towns and cities and finishing each of the 8 character stories without the world changing that much, because it can't since you have seven other characters the world needs to serve.

That, by itself, can already be considered too repetitive for a JRPG.

I don't understand why towns and cities would have to be intact for every single character. That doesn't make much sense. Unless you're just interacting with the same NPC's with all the characters which would be pretty lame and sounds very repetitive in a Groundhog Day kind of way.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously

I mean it's not just review it's about "it's a JRPG it can't be 8/10" same as Assassin's Creed who need to be a BAD GAME since now he's the douchbag of gaming community even if Origins is awesome and Odyssey seems great, because IT'S NOT F******* EZIO

oei68365pyj01.gif

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Sure, only problem with your post is that overall (there will always be exceptions) people are not being toxic to him...

Unless disagreeing or saying that their tastes must be different from his is now considered being toxic.

Totakeke

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why towns and cities would have to be intact for every single character. That doesn't make much sense. Unless you're just interacting with the same NPC's with all the characters which would be pretty lame and sounds very repetitive in a Groundhog Day kind of way.

Keep in mind that technically you can do anything in any order, or even complete a single story before even recruiting any of the other seven characters.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, they failed the big thing that would have made the game way more interesting... that's what i was affraid of by playing the demo... almost no character interaction is such a missed opportunity...

still buying it though, but man, that's disappointing to hear

There is quite a bit of character interaction, just not in their personal stories' cutscenes.

JCADX

Oct 29, 2017
I think that integrating that level of narrative intertwining is way beyond the scope of the game.

Even back in SaGa Frontier, you had a cop assisting a murder suspect and a sentai-esque superhero. So, this genre has always played loose with this sort of thing for the sake of fun gameplay.

Then, if they weren´t able to archieve it, why not simply making 8 independent stories without interaction (or rather with minimal interaction)?. I think of Odin Sphere, where all stories were separated, yet they had some sort of connection (for example, you could find a character in the middle of their journey when playing with another). In the case of Octopath, i think that would have been the best scenario.

It can be loose, of course (think about the typical "hey the world its gonna end, but let´s do sidequests"), but in this case i think its too much. It can damage the credibility of the individual stories. And losing credibility and coherence is really bad for a story. I don´t really understand why put 8 characters with conflicting (even opposite) beliefs travelling together if there is no reason (story wise) for it.

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of the stuff people are complaining about seem like they dont like RPGS or prefer the new ones.

You cant be wanting an old school JRPG revival without grinding and some repetition.

Stick with Final Fantasy XV

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah... his complaints do seem mostly like "its a JPRG". I mean do FFV or VI or VII dungeons really get complex? Don't they follow the same structure: Explore Town > Dunegon > Boss > Story Event > Repeat ?

That's pretty much how "old school" JRPGs worked. Can someone provide a counter example? I mean even the beloved Chrono Trigger can be summed up the same way.

Those older games have a lot of dungeon variety in both setting and gameplay, though, which makes up for the repetitiveness of the overall structure. Off the top of my head, FFV has at least the Fork Tower and Interdimensional Rift (and an incredibly diverse and fun roster of bosses). FFVI has Zozo, Phantom Train, Magitek Factory, Cultists' Tower, Dreamscape, and Kefka's Tower. Chrono Trigger has Guardia Castle, Tyrano Lair, the Black Omen, Magus' Castle, the Airship, and the Sewers. I'm probably forgetting a bunch of others, but you get the point. These areas all have unique gimmicks or different layouts that make them interesting. It remains to be seen whether Octopath is the same, or whether the repetition grates due to how it's implemented. A good game can mask its use of repetitive gameplay patterns and tropes, as a lot of classics do.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
- Good for play in short bursts
- Grindy in spots which is conducive to handheld mode while i'm watching something on TV
- Excellent visuals and sound
- Fun battle system

Yeah I think I'm going to like this.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
Boy this review thread is nutty considering the kinds of reviews this game is getting.

Everything honestly sounds pretty great.

I honestly couldn't care less if there's a big bad to face at the end or not. If this really is 8 mostly disconnected stories, I'm totally down for something different like that.

Aniki

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
It's been said to be multiple times per chapter, and each conversation I've seen so far has been very characterizing. The characters involved in such conversations change depending on your active party, which means everyone will have a different experience with the game.

If every combination of characters has multiple characterizing conversations—which I believe they do—then that will be more meaningful interactions than most classic RPGs' casts.
That sounds reassuring. Was afraid we might not get much interaction between the group. My only only other negative are the repetitive dungeons, but i'm willing bear those in order to experience the fantastics art this game has to offer. It looks just stunning. I will buy it even though i'm deep into Hollow Knight.

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm now I'm a bit unsure, especially with huge JRPGs sitting half played (sorry Persona 5, I promise I'll finish you someday). Especially at $80cdn. Seems solid but nothing mind numbing. Maybe I'll clear out some of my plays first and get it on a sale.

Dorfdad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ouch Kotaku and Destructoid reviews are pretty gaming to me. I usually fall online with the. More than she'll sites like IGN and Gamespot.

Might have to pass on this if it's truley a grind fest for the sake of extending game time.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's almost like reviews are pointless and people should just make up their own minds...

Not that I feel they are useless but because I didn't connect with the two demos like a lot of people did I feel like I was able to watch the hype cycle build for this game with expectations from some users going through the roof. The overly positive reviews feels like it's feeding into the hype that will lead some who buy this feeling disappointed afterwards because it may not be what they hoped it would be (which happens often for many different games) and the average reviews which lists its flaws has me feeling like this is a really good JRPG game that's no gift to nerd kind like all the great JRPG's that came before it.

I don't know we'll see in the long run though. I still need finish Shining Resonance Refrain (Switch version ftw, which I'm thoroughly enjoying) and I want to do a straight play through of Shin Megami Tensei IV and IV Apocalypse before I consider getting this.

Oct 25, 2017
The way this sidebar in the Kotaku review is written is a bit eye-raising:

NOTE: There's been a lot of confusion over whether Octopath Traveler's eight stories overlap or lead to some sort of epilogue. After finishing all eight, we've seen nothing like that. It's not clear whether the game contains any sort of bonus endgame content—Nintendo says that it does, but the publisher could not tell us before publication what that content is or how to access it, only saying that it was "a matter of completing the storylines and some side quests."

It sounds like the reviewer is implying that Nintendo might be lying about endgame content.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
So 84 MC, in line with the 2 modern JRPGs I've played the last months : Xc2 and Ni no Kuni 2. The first one is a wonderful JRPG with some serious flaws and the second one is basically the most disappointing game for me in years.

Let's see how Octopath ends, I don't care that much about review scores, and this time at least most reviewers admit that they didn't finish the game. This weekend will be busy!

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I did not expect to be running some sort of Schreier defense in this thread, because I don't even agree with him on some things myself, but the response here is a bit much.

Here's me on VG247. We don't do scores, but the long and the short of it is that I like the game a whole lot but the structure of the game significantly damages it in multiple ways (story problems, encouraging a lot of soul-crushing grinding, etc): https://www.vg247.com/2018/07/12/octopath-traveler-review/

VG247

And one over on RPG Site: https://www.rpgsite.net/review/7465-octopath-traveler-review

RPG Site
the final take is that most people enjoyed the game a lot while acknowledging some flaws, that were forgivable for most of them and an absolute deal breaker for one single person

Not just one person (see the above quoted post), and it's incorrect to act like that's true. Not even saying I think I'm going to find myself agreeing with him, but others felt strongly about these issues too. But yes, it might also not be as big of an issue even if you find it a problem at all, etc.

Withholding final judgement until I can play through it, but between this and his XC2 review I really have to question why Jason Schreier is reviewing JRPGs for Kotaku? I can appreciate an against-the-grain review, but he seems extremely down on both games when most others are not, and for reasons that seem to be summed up mostly by "it's a JRPG."

He was also positive about JRPGs other people disliked. That just means he has different taste in JRPGs than you, and that means a review from him can be valuable to those with that same taste.

Hey Jason, off the record, if you were to put a number on this game. What would it be?

lol

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
LOL the beloved Persona 3 and Persona 4 is very very boring dungeon design and very explicit about "ITS DUNGEON TIME" more than other JRPGs.

It had a very very engaging story though, and music and combat system,

Even the biggest fans of Persona 3 and 4 will admit that about the dungeons though

Kylo Rey

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
What the actual fuckidy f*** about "not a big story"?
I find this cool it's like Ali Baba and the 40 thieves

Oct 29, 2017
My Compendium edition is sitting at home waiting! Well, I bought it for the missus but still, great reviews and I'm looking forward to playing it.

DukeBlue

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
It's funny to see people looking at the negative reviews and saying it saved them from a purchase, when positive ones are vastly outnumbering them. Makes me think they'd never purchase the game in the first place. Also it's interesting to see that one of the few reviewers who didn't like the game was the most participative one in the preview thread. Kinda funny.
I mean have you ever visited a Switch or Xbox thread? Some of the posters here like to shit up threads for God knows what reason

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously

Calm down.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
I feel like so many reviewers are getting caught up in whether a game will be a classic or not. Just review it, there is no way to tell what people will think months down the line

I think this is a real problem with game critics and game reviewers. Everyone wants to be ahead of the curve and predict the next big, iconic game and be on the "right side of history" as it were. Between that and how nostalgia-driven a lot of gamers are, it makes for weird reviews.

It's telling that PUBG and Fortnite got very little coverage from game sites until they exploded through the community itself, and then all the reviewers and journalists and such started jumping on it.

Totakeke

Oct 25, 2017
Basically if you expect this game to be very similar to FF6 in terms of everything, you might be really disappointed, but a number of reviewers have enjoyed the game for what it is while giving it pretty high scores.

I don't think it's unfair for people to cancel their orders based on that, but I'm still looking forward to playing the game and finding out what makes it tick.

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Scores don't really matter since the media isn't capable of giving them out properly in sync with their written stuff. I'm reading the game has a ton of grinding and repetition and yet there's plenty of 8s and 9s. That doesn't make much sense to me.

Granted this media would give just about anything a 8/10 nowadays. I really wish scores would go away.
Its a jrpg....

Thats why alot of people dont knock the score down for that. This definitely aint your kinda game anyway