• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
For real. I think he gets too much shit for basically posting his opinion, but you really don't have to agree with him. I've found myself taking a very different stance on almost every game he's reviewed over the past couple of years. He's simply not someone you agree with. Check this review out for what I think is fairer and more nuanced look at the game (the writing itself is just more generous while at the same time reserving space for criticism):

https://www.polygon.com/2018/7/12/17563366/octopath-traveler-review-nintendo-switch-jrpg
HA, this is great. Check out this review that I think is much better and just happens to praise the game more. How about that? Also, that reviewer explicitly says he hasn't finished all of the stories. But I guess that's ok if it fits your opinion?

Also, since when has Jason been controversial? Since he didn't like Xenoblade 2 or am I missing something here?

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
The Kotaku review makes it pretty clear that this game isn't for me, and that's super depressing.
Only the Kotaku review? I mean, reading all your posts in all the Octopath Traveler threads made perfectly clear for all the regulars that you were not into this game since the beggining.

Like, your post here comes off as a more dramatic version of

tumblr_p6e6jrFbZy1ssyph6o1_400.gif

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Tedium and grinding are huge turn-offs for me. I already said I was feeling pretty bored by the combat in the demos, and if the game requires a lot of contextless grinding just to get caught up enough to continue the stories, that's just a ticket for me to get like 15 hours in and get bored and start playing another game. It's what happens to me with most portable RPGs nowadays.

Yes we already know your opinion of the game, you've been stating it since it was announced and you've been negative at every turn. Go back and play a "great" JRPG like FFXV at launch, that's tedium right there.

Kureransu

Oct 25, 2017
Tedium and grinding are huge turn-offs for me. I already said I was feeling pretty bored by the combat in the demos, and if the game requires a lot of contextless grinding just to get caught up enough to continue the stories, that's just a ticket for me to get like 15 hours in and get bored and start playing another game. It's what happens to me with most portable RPGs nowadays.
Honestly I didn't think you were even on the fence for this game. You seemed to be put off by a number a number of things based on your play session, not to mention not being a fan of the visual style. Obviously there is no problem with you feeling that way, I think i was more surprised you were even entertaining the thought of getting it.

EDIT: Sorry, i didn't think you were gonna get dog piled. I was actually give you a kudos for even considering it given all the things you didn't like lol.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I want Octopath's concept to be attempted way more often.

Next time make it so that actual stories are explicitly flashbacks being told in a tavern and have each character have their own party members.

It actually surprising to me that people wanted this shit to a bait-and-switch into a standard RPG.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How dare someone not like a game! I'm suing.

I don't have a problem with him not liking it....?

Maybe read one or two of the other 30+ reviews. They are far more positive.

Why assume I didn't?

My taste tends to align with Jason's, and enough of the other reviews (even the positive ones) highlight a lot of the same criticisms. The more positive ones don't mind those low points, but I know they'll bother me. So I'm bummed. *shrug*

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Only the Kotaku review? I mean, reading all your posts in all the Octopath Traveler threads made perfectly clear for all the regulars that you were not into this game since the beggining.

Like I said, I was hoping the reviews would assuage my concerns, which were boring, tedious combat and a bunch of characters who have no reason to travel with each other traveling with each other for no reason. None of the other reviews I've read said anything contrary to the points Jason made, they just enjoyed the game more as a whole.

To put it another way, I'm not interested in seeing how good people think the game is, I'm interested in seeing if the things that turned me off about the demo were different in the full game.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still going to be borderline truther and believe that there's notable story-stuff post-game. There's a huge number of sidequests, and it doesn't seem like any/many of the reviewers beat the 8 stories + a decent chunk of the side content. Most have been one or the other, and Nintendo has implied there is something substantial there.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
HA, this is great. Check out this review that I think is much better and just happens to praise the game more. How about that? Also, that reviewer explicitly says he hasn't finished all of the stories. But I guess that's ok if it fits your opinion?

Also, since when has Jason been controversial? Since he didn't like Xenoblade 2 or am I missing something here?

WTF? I'm literally telling someone "you don't have to take one reviewers opinion on something as gospel" and this is the response? Give me a break, mack. I have nothing against Jason or his opinion, but why does it seem like people leap to his rescue any time someone suggests maybe he isn't the reviewer they trust the most? Like I said in my post, I think Parish's take is more generous while at the same time reserving space for criticism and offering negative/critical feedback. I look for balance and consideration in my reviews, not bold statements. Bold statements tend to be hyperbolic.

As for Jason's controversial status? I have no idea. I just know that I generally disagree with his reviews. Final Fantasy XV, Xenoblade 2 (even if I don't like it overall), his take on Persona 5... we simply don't have the same tastes. Not a big deal, not controversial, just not someone I look to for reviews. I think his other reporting is stellar, though, and it's one of the reasons I still read Kotaku.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I didn't think you were even on the fence for this game. You seemed to be put off by a number a number of things based on your play session, not to mention not being a fan of the visual style. Obviously there is no problem with you feeling that way, I think i was more surprised you were even entertaining the thought of getting it.

While I might have been pessimistic, I was still hoping that the issues I had with the demos were limited to the demos, and not symptomatic of the full game. I never WANT games to be bad, I always want them to be great. And I really need a long, deep game to play this summer while I'm broke and depressed, and there really aren't a lot of options for that this year, especially now that KH3 bounced off to January.

Sojiro

Jun 24, 2018
I don't quite understand how this game is receiving good to great reviews from the majority of outlets, and yet from the many pages of this thread, it would seem like the game is bad. All it took for me was the demo and I was sold on this, reviews be damned, but it is reassuring that most seem very positive about it. I will say, the lack of interaction between the party when experiencing one of the characters story arcs is the only thing that bums me out on this game. Everything else seems very solid though, so I'm definitely just as hyped as ever to start in on it when it arrives tomorrow.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't particularly impressed by my time with the demo, though I could have played it more. What I'm reading confirms my plan to not pick it up right now.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Why assume I didn't?

My taste tends to align with Jason's, and enough of the other reviews (even the positive ones) highlight a lot of the same criticisms. The more positive ones don't mind those low points, but I know they'll bother me. So I'm bummed. *shrug*

I disagree, most of the negatives from Jason's review have been contradicted by plenty of other reviews. But yeah if your tastes align more with his then that's fair and this game may not be for you.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still going to be borderline truther and believe that there's notable story-stuff post-game. There's a huge number of sidequests, and it doesn't seem like any/many of the reviewers beat the 8 stories + a decent chunk of the side content. Most have been one or the other, and Nintendo has implied there is something substantial there.

It's essentially confirmed that there is a post-game region and dungeon(s) where the final-final boss music will be employed.

It just hasn't been found yet. We even know its name.

Oct 25, 2017
It's essentially confirmed that there is a post-game region and dungeon(s) where the final-final boss music will be employed.

It just hasn't been found yet. We even know its name.

Yeah, but I feel like me and you are in the minority here in thinking there's something major there.

So literally nobody outside of devs and playtesters has actually seen it yet?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Having the same person bringing negativity to every single Octopath Traveler thread. It's just good that they are no longer a mod so I can put them on ignore.

I don't know why you're getting so offended by me being critical. I'm not even saying I think it's a bad game, I'm just expressing disappointment with the way a game I was hoping would be fun for me ended up turning out. These things happen.

CriticalBear

Banned
Jul 3, 2018
I am extremely disappointed to learn the game does not shed the "pretends the other party members don't exist" things for the storylines. I could understand it for the chapter 1 bits, but the fact that the characters will not interact with one another or help each other overcome their struggles as the game progresses is a huge missed opportunity that I feel should have been obvious in the planning and construction of the game. How can you create such a unique, ensemble cast and then not write about them interacting with one another outside of a handful of vignettes?

I pre-ordered the game and i'm sure I will enjoy for what it is, but my whole experience is going to be plagued by the knowledge that it won't be all it could be.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate all the reviews both positive and negative. I am still looking forward to the game but it did send out bravely/bravely second vibes and that will rub some the wrong way.

Kureransu

Oct 25, 2017
While I might have been pessimistic, I was still hoping that the issues I had with the demos were limited to the demos, and not symptomatic of the full game. I never WANT games to be bad, I always want them to be great. And I really need a long, deep game to play this summer while I'm broke and depressed, and there really aren't a lot of options for that this year, especially now that KH3 bounced off to January.
You replied before I edited, But i understand that. Sorry it didn't resonate with you like you'd hope.
I do hope you find something and manage to beat your depression as well.

Personally, I'm still excited for it, but I'm more of a "if the battle system is fun, I'm in" type of guy. Story and stuff, while a great bonus if it's great is a huge secondary for me.

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
Doesn't Jschrier have more bias towards JRPGS anyways? Maybe he's more controversial for other genres but maybe not for JRPGS.

I mean, Xenoblade 2 got 9th here on the ERA GOTY list in a very stacked year, so calling it garbage is quite the controversial opinion. Not sure of his general opinions of jrpg's but what he complains about for Octopath and Xenoblade 2 makes me think he doesn't like what I enjoy about these types of games.

Ultimately you shouldn't be let random reviewers sway your opinion on the game. It's better to see how well your taste aligns with the taste of the reviewer so that their review would have more weight to you personally. I don't like how one reviewer who seems to have a different opinion than a major chunk of this board is leading the conversation of the thread, but that's just how it goes for review threads I suppose.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Having the same person bringing negativity to every single Octopath Traveler thread. It's just good that they are no longer a mod so I can put them on ignore.

Them being disappointed the game didn't turn out the way they hoped isn't them being negative.

I haven't seen anything disrespectful or off-base from them here.

Rappy

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, his is getting way too much mention vs the rest of the coverage.
It's because he posts these forums and really advertises/teases his upcoming review well. He must realizes he's doing that too, right? He does some good work, but can't say I agree with his opinion that much.
Yes we already know your opinion of the game, you've been stating it since it was announced and you've been negative at every turn. Go back and play a "great" JRPG like FFXV at launch, that's tedium right there.
XV got scores similar to what Octopath is getting right now. XV is a good game and so is Octopath. Don't see the reason why people have to always constantly bring down FFXV in unrelated threads.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

That seems to be the case, yeah, but it's still on Nintendo and/or SE to actually promote this content so people who are disappointed that it doesn't apparently exist will feel more interested in the game.

Basically, if there's anything substantial they should've teased it a lot more clearly.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Hm, I'll hold off until there's a decent sale after reading the reviews. The demo should be enough to hold me over until then (plus I have a ton of games in my backlog to clear).

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
I don't know why you're getting so offended by me being critical. I'm not even saying I think it's a bad game, I'm just expressing disappointment with the way a game I was hoping would be fun for me ended up turning out. These things happen.
It ended up turning out critically acclaimed, you're just focused on one dudes opinion. I don't think anyone's offended by your obviously focused attempt to see the worst in this well-reviewed game, but I do find it pretty funny.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Is really really strange how little information we have regarding the secret content in the game considering that there's lots of reviews out there.

I'm not sure it's too strange. There's a huge amount of content. Like I said, the optional jobs are also post-game, level recommendation-wise. Most reviewers haven't even finished all eight stories, and the ones that did rushed them by necessity, neglecting a vast swathe of optional content, which could be required.

It's definitely a really intriguing mystery! The developers have done a good job obscuring whatever it is, which seems to be their intention going by interviews about how not everyone would connect the dots, and you'd have to pay attention.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

You've been doing it in every single thread, you made your mind up a long time ago do stop trying to make out that your buddy Jason made your mind up lol. You also did the same in the XB2 threads but whatever it really doesn't matter, I just find it funny.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I for one am shocked to see PlanetSmasher cling on to the Kotaku review. Shocked!

You obviously weren't feeling this game from the start, it's just silly trying to make it out you had great hopes for the game now.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, Xenoblade 2 got 9th here on the ERA GOTY list in a very stacked year, so calling it garbage is quite the controversial opinion. Not sure of his general opinions of jrpg's but what he complains about for Octopath and Xenoblade 2 makes me think he doesn't like what I enjoy about these types of games.

Ultimately you shouldn't be let random reviewers sway your opinion on the game. It's better to see how well your taste aligns with the taste of the reviewer so that their review would have more weight to you personally. I don't like how one reviewer who seems to have a different opinion than a major chunk of this board is leading the conversation of the thread, but that's just how it goes for review threads I suppose.

Why would any journalist care about what ERA put on a list ? There's a lot of people who hates the shit out of Xenoblade 2 too on this forum, I don't think anyone forgot the negativity