• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the way the characters were connected was clever....and that how most reviewers missed it was embarrassing on their part.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Very cool! And well deserved at that, great game and one from the Perfect 4 Switch™ crowd imo.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
Great game. Final secret true ending is bullshit though. True endings shouldn't be locked on a difficulty spike that is 10 times than the normal game.

The Awesomest

Mar 3, 2018
He's not wrong. The connection between the characters is very superficial and to even find the "ending" you have to do a sidequest that's on the same level as Dark Souls' Artorias of the Abyss DLC in obscurity.
The final final boss is impossible, and I just Youtube'd it, if that's what you mean, but the tie between all the stories becomes apparent before that, and without even accepting that quest you start to notice some connections. The common backstory was frankly brilliant, and anyone who plays Octopath owes it to themselves to at least solve that mystery, without defeating the secret boss.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
I wish more people gave DQXIS a chance as well. One of the best JRPGs on the system but it seems like the DQ brand is cursed in the West.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Cool it's a great game, although admittedly I didn't finish the secret boss.
I didn't know you had to use all 8 party members and got screwed because only four of my members were loaded. Of course you can't leave and come back without completely redoing it, so I never bothered going back.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Since this is a tweet just by Nintendo, and Square Enix self-published in Japan, I'm curious if this number is a Switch total or just a Nintendo-published territories total.

Nintendo's reporting of Octopath sales so far has only been of the ones they've published, whereas Square Enix was the one who revealed the 1M total just after the game's launch. A little hard to believe it'd reach that amount without counting Japan, though.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Cool

I really loved Octopath. The visuals, battle system, and soundtrack are all stellar.

Oct 27, 2017
The final final boss is impossible, and I just Youtube'd it, if that's what you mean, but the tie between all the stories becomes apparent before that, and without even accepting that quest you start to notice some connections. The common backstory was frankly brilliant, and anyone who plays Octopath owes it to themselves to at least solve that mystery, without defeating the secret boss.

I know about the backstory that connects everyone, but the characters themselves are still largely disconnected from each other. At no point they're really a party.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
2 million? Good lord I didn't expect that. Shame it ended up having some weirdness with the party members and story because I was initially really excited for it.

It's probably the best RPG I've played this gen. Not as good as the SNES era, or even the PS1, but it's still a solid title. I hope this proves there's a market for it.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I swapped to the DQVIII audio and never looked back.
I did as well, but it only made it so I could even finish the game. To be completely honest, though, I had other gripes with DQ XIS, which definitely go beyond the music. So I gotta hand it to the DQ VIII score that it at least made me finish the game afterall. I think I might have dropped it completely if it weren't for the alternative music score. So, yeah, props for that.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
good stuff, one of the very best JRPGs of the last decade

well deserved, can't wait for another game in this visual style with this battle system

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Boy, Nintendo sure does publish a lot of multi-million seller JRPGs. Xenoblade 2 will get there too eventually.

I loved this game when I first played it (it was my #2 GotY in 2018) and it's actually grown on me even more since then. This is a classic game that I'll still be playing many years from now, just like I still dig out FFV and Chrono Trigger once in a while.

That will bomb so hard it's not even funny
Seems like wishful thinking on your part.