• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I should finally finish this game ... but nice that it sold 2 million!
Are those sale numbers Switch + Steam?

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
oh damn, surprised it keeps selling. well deserved.
i know steamspy isn't very accurate, but it has done decently on steam too (100K to 200K).

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Cool it's a great game, although admittedly I didn't finish the secret boss.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2 million? Good lord I didn't expect that. Shame it ended up having some weirdness with the party members and story because I was initially really excited for it.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
last we heard it was at 1.5 million in march of last year, so it's sold 500K+ since then. pretty crazy for a jrpg.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
2 million? Good lord I didn't expect that. Shame it ended up having some weirdness with the party members and story because I was initially really excited for it.

I think a lot of people went into Octopath expecting 16-bit era Final Fantasy when what they were getting was 16-bit era SaGa.

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I liked that the stories didn't tie into each other and that they were largely inconsequential to each other. maybe next time just have unique party members for each story so the expectation of camaraderie won't be there

also, since this game was a slow burn, maybe the same will be of Dragon Quest

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
2 million on Switch? That's pretty great for a new JRPG not from one of the big series.

Deserved.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't a big fan of the story and structure (dropped midway and never came back), but I loved the art style and music. I hope SE continues to invest in that, but with another team.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Yeah, this game deserves it. It turned out not to be the huge bombastic JRPG of years past but instead ended-up being a pretty personal one which makes it unique.

XC2, are you there too?

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
2M just on Switch? That's pretty amazing.

The game isn't as good as Bravely on many aspects, but still does many things right. Recommended.

ImaginaShawn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love octopath, I hope the sequel comes to one of the next-gen consoles. I would love to see this game with ray tracing and HDR.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Quite impressive !!
We are probably gonna see BD2 on the next direct ....hope it looks more interesting than the TGA teaser.

Sesha

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty great. I'm proud of Acquire. They deserve a hit like this. Hopefully they'll get more work in the future as a result. Maybe even in a stealth action IP featuring a grey-haired ninja with a scar over his eye...

But, man, imagine if it had a AAA budget and marketing and released on all platforms.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely a big difficulty spike. Ultimately it seemed like I would have to make a bunch of adjustments to my party to deal with the second form, and some other game came out and took my interest.

Yeah that's basically how I felt. I tried a couple of times and then after realizing I needed to go through the other 8 bosses each time I decided to just watch it on Youtube.

Really dumb decision to put it behind 8 other bosses.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty great. I'm proud of Acquire. They deserve a hit like this. Hopefully they'll get more work in the future as a result. Maybe even in a stealth action IP featuring a grey-haired ninja with a scar over his eye...

But, man, imagine if it had a AAA budget and marketing and released on all platforms.

It definitely had AAA marketing from Nintendo, which it probably wouldn't have had if it wasn't Switch exclusive.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Absolutely well deserved. Played about 100 hours and I managed to 100% it including the final boss. I hope for another Octopath game that addresses the flaws.

I'm also looking forward to Bravely Default II.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that's amazing.

Nintendo has built a strong audience for JRPGs.

mrgoomba

Dec 10, 2017
Great game, finished all 8 stories...

But the level needed to beat the last post game secret boss was insane, had to watch this on youtube

Mr.fresh

Oct 31, 2017
Damn I would definitely buy this right now since I'm off for the next 12 days. Wish it was on sale in the US too.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
It probably would've sold the same or worse. A big part of why this sold so well was the specific publisher/platform push. Compare to the PC version, while yes it came just under a year later, according to Steamspy it's still under 200k after 9 months.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's basically how I felt. I tried a couple of times and then after realizing I needed to go through the other 8 bosses each time I decided to just watch it on Youtube.

Really dumb decision to put it behind 8 other bosses.
Yeah the time investment just to retry the fight ended up being the deal breaker after a while. I also ended up youtubing it.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
I really hope Square Enix takes advantage of the visual style they've created with Octopath Traveler and remakes Xenogears in that style.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
AAA marketing on Nintendo systems is reserved for Mario Kart, mainline Zelda, AC and co.

It got solid first party marketing - let's not get crazy with the AAA labels.

Ehhh I find the term AAA to be generally meaningless anyway.

It had very good marketing for the type game it was, how's that?

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Also, these news make me want to replay it again. Such great battle system, characters and music.

(But no way in hell I'm beating the real final boss).