MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Will the official quest link cable plug into the virtual link port found on rtx cards? I'm wondering if this can lead to a clearer image then because it has more power and bandwidth available through it. Maybe you can even keep the quest headset charged with the official cable if it goes through the virtual link port.

keku

Apr 23, 2019
I decided to return my Quest and wait for either Quest 2 or Index

Hopefully it comes late 2020, I feel that the screens and FoV still need a little work, and hopefully they will also enable a TB3 connection or something for wired play

fake edit: This is also cause I'm broke with paying a master. So next year I'm saving for a beast laptop and new headset

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
The USB 3 ports on my mobo did not work, only way I got it to work was by using a USB 3 pci-e card.
Do you have a link for the card you're using? I've tried the cables I had to hand and none of them worked, so I'm just waiting for one I ordered to arrive, but I'm not optimistic. I expect I'll need a card too.

Edit: Nm. The cable arrived, and against all expectations, it works beautifully.

Last edited:

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
I realize this is totally optional and I'm glad it's available, but man, Oculus really seems incapable of managing USB implementations properly. It was probably my favorite part of the Quest that I could play without USB problems.

Oct 26, 2017
I realize this is totally optional and I'm glad it's available, but man, Oculus really seems incapable of managing USB implementations properly. It was probably my favorite part of the Quest that I could play without USB problems.

I suspect it's more on the mobo and cable manufacturers fudging things, because most people won't notice if their usb3 ports are slightly under spec or have intermittent issues.

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
I suspect it's more on the mobo and cable manufacturers fudging things, because most people won't notice if their usb3 ports are slightly under spec or have intermittent issues.

I'm sure that's possible, I guess in my limited exposure to high performance USB devices Oculus has just been the only manufacturer to have problems.

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Will the official quest link cable plug into the virtual link port found on rtx cards? I'm wondering if this can lead to a clearer image then because it has more power and bandwidth available through it. Maybe you can even keep the quest headset charged with the official cable if it goes through the virtual link port.

The Oculus Link cable will be USB-C both ends, and the VirtualLink uses the USB-C standard, so it's possible. I can't see anything that is confirmed on that front yet though.

The beta specifically supports all RTX 20 series cards, so everything's possible!

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
My computer is rather old at this point- I'm running an i5-4670 and a GTX 1060 (upgraded from a 770 a year or so ago), and i've had minimal issues- Arizona Sunshine takes FOREVER to start up, but it runs well enough once i'm in game. Ever since I got a PSVR, I have been looking for the VR experience that would make me feel sick, and I finally got that last night with Windlands 2!

Does anyone have suggestions for alternate 10ft cables that work? It doesn't look like the Anker one is coming back in stock.
I bought this one from Amazon, and it's worked perfectly for me so far

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is that 100% confirmed? Do we know if a converter will allow it to work in a type a socket?

70912492_418356612364490_6079766588217622528_n.png

Spec from UploadVR, can't find the original page though:

Oculus_Link_Cable_Specs-scaled.jpg.webp

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure that's possible, I guess in my limited exposure to high performance USB devices Oculus has just been the only manufacturer to have problems.

Other USB devices won't make people sick if they don't work up to spec though. That can happen in VR if there is a lot of stuttering and glitches so Oculus is just making sure it will be a comfortable experience as well as covering their asses in case people blame them for getting sick due to poorly designed 3rd party hardware.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I decided to return my Quest and wait for either Quest 2 or Index

Hopefully it comes late 2020, I feel that the screens and FoV still need a little work, and hopefully they will also enable a TB3 connection or something for wired play

fake edit: This is also cause I'm broke with paying a master. So next year I'm saving for a beast laptop and new headset
There is almost no chance the quest 2 comes out before 2022 (late 2020 might have a quest with more room on it though). Even then it might be pushed off until 2023 or so if eye tracking is close in 2022 as it could make a giant difference for the quest. (you can with eye tracking make it so it only renders where a person is looking making it so you can reduce power needed by 50-70% to render stuff, meaning you can get quite a bit better graphics on the same hardware)

pretty much every tear down I saw had the quest likely being sold at a loss. So they aren't going to be able to increase the specks until prices come down on things.

keku

Apr 23, 2019
Probably right. Might end up going for the Pimax eventually then... still need a lot of polish, but paired with the knuckles, they potentially could be the best ones

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
So I found a cable that works, I have a question: so when I enable link beta it transitions me to what I imagine is the Oculus Rift home screen (as opposed to the Quest one) and none of my games are visible.

If I go back to the Quest home screen and play an app while connected to my PC, are the graphics automatically enhanced? Or does it have to be through the Rift home?

Oct 25, 2017
So are people opting for the Quest because of the IPD adjustment or for the option to go wireless? I need to know that Link is a viable option for a PC powered headset with Quest because I fall into the former. Seems like RTX are pretty safe? I have a 2080ti.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
So are people opting for the Quest because of the IPD adjustment or for the option to go wireless? I need to know that Link is a viable option for a PC powered headset with Quest because I fall into the former. Seems like RTX are pretty safe? I have a 2080ti.
You should be absolutely fine; I only have a 2060 (non-Super) and in my limited tests it worked without issues. I opted for the Quest for wireless play, but waited until PC Link was announced, as to me it seems the Quest now provides the best of both worlds.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
So I found a cable that works, I have a question: so when I enable link beta it transitions me to what I imagine is the Oculus Rift home screen (as opposed to the Quest one) and none of my games are visible.

If I go back to the Quest home screen and play an app while connected to my PC, are the graphics automatically enhanced? Or does it have to be through the Rift home?

I think if you play it through the quest home screen it just runs it as a quest app normally. Enable link and run via the rift store for rift pc games. Within Rift, click the virtual desktop and go to steam for steam games.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man the description of that link cable still only says 5Gbps and I found this vr chat here confirming there will be no performance boost going to using the usb-c virtual link connection. The oculus cable is purely for extra length and flexibility.

Slightly disappointing.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man the description of that link cable still only says 5Gbps and I found this vr chat here confirming there will be no performance boost going to using the usb-c virtual link connection. The oculus cable is purely for extra length and flexibility.

Slightly disappointing.
Might be wrong, but I've read that the real bottleneck is comes from how quickly the onboard processor can decode the stream, and that the current maximum decode rate is well below what 5Gbps can deliver. Carmack seems to be suggesting future performance improvements may come from implementing their own to-the-metal decoding solution to keep latency low whilst also circumventing the performance cap of native decoding. So yeah, the cable seems to be mostly about flexibility and length. The fact that they've specified it so highly in other areas makes me feel like there's more to it, though...

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Will Occuls link work with my NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti?
Should I get a USB C to C cable or just the usb C to USB 3 linked here?

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So the oculus app on my PC finds it and connects, but I'm not getting any video in the Quest. But the motion of the Quest is definitely getting read, because the view window for Lucky's Tale, which I'm using to test, moves when I move it around.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
So the oculus app on my PC finds it and connects, but I'm not getting any video in the Quest. But the motion of the Quest is definitely getting read, because the view window for Lucky's Tale, which I'm using to test, moves when I move it around.

Check if you have Public Test Channel turned on in the Settings > Beta. If you do turn it off.

lorddaneil

May 21, 2019
This might be a silly question but I finally got the Link setup complete. How exactly are you supposed to play a steam vr game on the headset? through Virtual desktop? That hasn't been going so well....

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
I got an Amazon Basics cable that works fine with my VASTLY UNDERPOWERED ALIENWARE ALPHA I3.

BUT - I got it to run Google Earth at a solid clip andwas absolutely floored.
Now I want a VR capable computer.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

Slightly disappointing.

This was all outlined in Carmack's OC6 keynote talk. There's two different issues going on:

1.) This is a 1st run beta. So they deliberately set the output render resolution lower to collect data. They didn't want the PC side of the encoding process getting in the way of their data. We're getting the ability to increase the output resolution in future updates.

2.) The Snapdragon 835 can't receive raw video signals (at least it wasn't meant to). This means the bottleneck is the video processors ability to decode a compressed signal. Too much bandwidth and it'll take too long to decode. The current beta isn't pushing it to it's performance max, though. So we're getting a boost in the very short term (assuming your PC isn't the bottleneck).

2a.) Carmack and Oculus are looking at ways to bypass the layers and get directly to the video chip. If they can do this, they would then use the full bandwidth of the cable. IQ would also increase and because of the way OLED updates vs LCD, it's possible the latency could actually beat Rift S.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Think I found a solution I'm comfortable with as far as keeping the Link cable in a position that's not going to constantly be pulling at the USB-C port on the headset. I used an L-shape adapter and some heavy duty 1-sided tape velcro on the cable so it doesn't slide and I'm sticking it to the existing velcro on the headset to keep it in place. Nice and solid, have to yank pretty hard to get the velcro to come loose.

ELIhRHvVAAEUF8U

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I managed to get this all working yesterday after around 30 mins of tech fuckery. Now that I'm officially linked up to both Rift and SteamVR I was wondering if anyone could recommend some good free content on both worth checking out? Not looking to spend anything just yet.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I managed to get this all working yesterday after around 30 mins of tech fuckery. Now that I'm officially linked up to both Rift and SteamVR I was wondering if anyone could recommend some good free content on both worth checking out? Not looking to spend anything just yet.
store.steampowered.com

The Lab on Steam

Welcome to The Lab, a compilation of Valve’s room-scale VR experiments set in a pocket universe within Aperture Science. Fix a robot, defend a castle, adopt a mechanical dog, and more. Still not sold? It’s free!
store.steampowered.com

Google Earth VR on Steam

Google Earth VR lets you explore the world from totally new perspectives in virtual reality. Stroll the streets of Tokyo, soar over the Grand Canyon, or walk around the Eiffel Tower.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/520010/Climbey/ (the demo for this one)

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
store.steampowered.com

The Lab on Steam

Welcome to The Lab, a compilation of Valve’s room-scale VR experiments set in a pocket universe within Aperture Science. Fix a robot, defend a castle, adopt a mechanical dog, and more. Still not sold? It’s free!
store.steampowered.com

Google Earth VR on Steam

Google Earth VR lets you explore the world from totally new perspectives in virtual reality. Stroll the streets of Tokyo, soar over the Grand Canyon, or walk around the Eiffel Tower.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/520010/Climbey/ (the demo for this one)

Legend, thank you very much!

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Got my official Link cable today. It def "just works" in a way that other cables failed to.

And yea, 100% replaces my OG Rift. I didn't think it could happen, but it did. What a marvelous piece of VR equipment.

Oct 25, 2017
Having problems with mine, unfortunately. Will charge the Quest, and periodically show as properly connected in the Oculus desktop client, but with any attempt to initiate Link I get a "PC Not Detected" error. The third party cables I've got still work, although they patch in via my USB-A 3.1 motherboard port, rather than the USB-C equivalent which runs off the same Intel USB controller. Could be something related to the port itself or drivers/BIOS, but I've contacted Oculus support for some help with it.