• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Just had the following email come through. Losing previously available features is probably the biggest thing here. I suppose in VR 4 years is a lifetime.

CbBWive.jpg

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not surprised- even in 2020, a year after the Quest 1 had launched, they were making games like Medal of Honor that simply did not work on the Quest 1, only the 2. They really treated the Quest 1 as a first gen proof of concept before making the Quest 2

Oct 29, 2017
I've been meaning to dig out my Quest 1 to update it like 20 times and merge my FB account to a Meta account, as apparently if I don't do it by 1/1/2024 I lose all my shit, but man this makes me want to do it less. I was banking on the Quest Pro to be a Quest 3 of sorts to upgrade… damn you enterprise users

Aug 31, 2019
"we remain commited to supporting the community of Quest 1 users" -- immediately lists a number of ways they are no longer going to support the community of Quest 1 users, the entire purpose of this communication.

Like I get it, it's fine to drop support for hardware after awhile, their security updates last longer than Google bothered with my phone, it just tickled me how many rounds of marketers must have sweated over this copy to make it this condescending.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I'm honestly surprised it took them this long. They made it abundantly clear that they had zero interest in supporting the Rift line or the Quest 1 when the Quest 2 launched.

Hopefully they don't make the same mistake twice and kill off the Quest 2 as soon as they drop the successor later this year. That thing is in millions of homes, they need to keep it alive as long as technically feasible.

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
Do the phone carrier thing and let me trade in my Quest 1 for like 200 dollars off the Quest 2 or something.

pm1nze5e

Sep 18, 2022
Okay, so why the hell am I still being forced to migrate from my Oculus account into a Meta account by the end of the month, if I won't even be able to use any of the features you told me I needed to migrate my account for? That's some major BS.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Lol this sucks, but I'm also not surprised at all. It's felt like Meta has been floundering with their decisions around VR for the past few years, so this is just par for the course. It's torpedoed my interest in really purchasing any more VR products from them (or software for my Quest 1, really) unless it gets to a point where I really have to. Until then, I'm still fine just playing the games I already have on my Quest 1, or more often just connecting it to my gaming PC to play games there instead.

Really curious to see if Valve's Deckard comes to fruition some day, because that is far more likely to get me to pick up new hardware than anything Meta does at this point.