• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
https://www.oculus.com/blog/announcing-oculus-rift-s-our-new-pc-vr-headset-launching-spring-2019/

Bye bye external sensors!

Today at GDC, we unveiled Oculus Rift S—a new VR headset that combines the convenience of built-in Oculus Insight tracking technology with the full power of your PC. Built on the Rift platform, Rift S gives gamers and tech enthusiasts access to the most immersive content that VR has to offer, and it's launching in Spring 2019 for $399 USD.

Higher Resolution on the Best PC VR Gaming Platform

Rift S works with the Rift platform, giving you access to the top-selling and most immersive VR titles on Day 1—and even more groundbreaking games like Asgard's Wrath, Defector, andStormland on the horizon. Improved optics and display technology deliver a sharper picture with higher pixel density for an even more immersive gaming experience. Games on Rift have never looked better.

Increased Comfort and Integrated Audio

We partnered with Lenovo™ to design Rift S, drawing on their experience in the VR and AR space and feedback from the Lenovo Legion™ gaming community. Lenovo co-designed the Rift S for increased comfort, better weight distribution, and improved light blocking, as well as a simple, single-cable system for a clutter-free experience. Rift S features the same integrated audio system as Oculus Quest and Oculus Go, with a headphone jack that lets you use your own favorite headphones.

Oculus Insight for Precise Room-Scale Tracking

Like Quest, Rift S features Oculus Insight, our state-of-the-art inside-out tracking technology. Say goodbye to external sensors—Oculus Insight gets you into the game with ease. Using computer vision algorithms, Oculus Insight captures, traces, and navigates physical spaces in realtime. The Rift S headset features five sensors to maximize tracking volume in support of the existing Rift library. Oculus Touch controllers, redesigned for inside-out tracking, bring familiar hand presence and input so you can grab, point, and gesture through the best of VR.

Introducing Passthrough+

We're also enabling a true stereo-correct passthrough feature, Passthrough+. It utilizes core Oculus runtime advancements, including ASW, to produce a comfortable experience with minimal depth disparity or performance impact. It's especially helpful any time you need to step or see outside of your play space.

A Shared Platform

Because Rift and Rift S share the same core platform experience, current Rift owners will be able to take advantage of our continued software updates. They'll also enjoy access to the same games available today and coming in the future.

We can't wait to share more in the weeks ahead. Sign up for all the latest updates at oculus.com/rift-s.

Last edited:

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Nice that they arent completely going away from being tethered to PCs. I know many knew the S was coming, but still good nonetheless.

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Summary:
- Improved optics & display technology
- higher pixel density
- increased comfort
- better weight distribution
- improved light blocking
- single cable system
- same integrated audio system w/headphone jack
- Oculus Insight (no more external sensors)
- Passthrough+
- shared platform with Oculus Rift

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious to see comparisons to see how it does with the Rift S versus the original Rift with sensors. I'm guessing this does replace the original Rift? I'm not really seeing the Rift available much of anywhere, and where it is, it's $350 compared to the Rift S's $399.

I bought a Vive almost two weeks ago and I love it.

Greatest Ever

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
Awesome, sticking with my original Rift until I manage to finish more of my library.

Oh no, most Oculus games are only on Oculus launcher... ResetEra's gonna have a fit.

EchoSmoker

Jan 29, 2018
There it is. USB bandwidth management was stopping me from getting a Rift, but with no more sensors that's no longer a problem so I'm probably getting this.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
5 cameras for inside out tracking? nice. step up your game Microsoft Partners. You are being left behind.

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
Curious how the tracking is compared to the Rift with a couple sensors. That's what I have and in my space, it works great. Obviously, the Lighthouses / Vive are better for room scale, but you can get pretty good coverage with the Oculus sensors. As long as you have enough USB 3 ports and don't mind the wires.

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going through a bit of a no spending period at the moment, as there's a bit of uncertainty around my job, but the second I know where I stand (and if it's good news) I'm getting in on this.

I love my PSVR, and I want to take the next step and have VR on my PC too. This might be the device I get!

Oct 25, 2017
Inside out tracking and price are good. They still don't support buns and ponytails (how many women you got working at Oculus?). I'm not upgrading because the PC VR lineup is still trash.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Summary:
- Improved optics & display technology
- higher pixel density
- increased comfort
- better weight distribution
- improved light blocking
- single cable system
- same integrated audio system w/headphone jack
- Oculus Insight (no more external sensors)
- Passthrough+
- shared platform with Oculus Rift

- LCD instead of OLED
- 80hz instead of 90hz

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty disappointing for me. Rift's FOV really needed at least a small bump and also the refresh rate going from 90-80hz seems weird.

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
I kinda wanna buy one for the office, as there is enough space behind me to play, but I barely have time to play anything at all besides Apex here and there.

Michael

Oct 28, 2017
No OLED, mediocre resolution boost, no FOV increase mentioned, 80Hz. Color me not very impressed.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2560×1440. Original Rift was 2160×1200. Same FoV.

Since there's only one screen and therefore no physical IPD (meaning there will be unused screen area to accommodate for IPD adjustments), isn't the effective resolution basically the same?

Going from pentile to RGB and better lenses probably account for almost all of the increased visual fidelity

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Releasing a tethered-only VR headset seems wrong at this point. Should have included onboard processing for the camera feeds which would have enabled wireless game-feed streaming.

Greatest Ever

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
Oculus still has the best VR controllers out there. The moment they lose that, it's going to be hard pushing their headset.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The reduction to 80hz from 90hz is kind of odd. Hmmm.

Getting away from the sensors is great though. Easily the most annoying thing about the current headset.

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm tempting but I think im going to wait and see what Vive does first. I definetly realized I need a wireless solution though. Its a pain to us VR with cables which is why I dont touch my PSVR or Vive anymore

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
No external sensors? So my fishtanks won't make this unusable like my PSVR?
may be in..

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Since there's only one screen and therefore no physical IPD (meaning there will be unused screen area to accommodate for IPD adjustments), isn't the effective resolution basically the same?

Going from pentile to RGB and better lenses probably account for almost all of the increased visual fidelity
Just going to quote UploadVr on this:
The original Rift used dual PenTile OLED panels for a total resolution of 2160×1200. Rift S replaces this with a single LCD panel with a resolution of 2560×1440- the same panel used in the Oculus Go standalone. That's roughly 40% more pixels, and each pixel now has three subpixels instead of just two.

This provides a higher detail image with reduced "screen door effect". However, you don't get the deep blacks of OLED since LCD displays use a backlight. The refresh rate is down to 80Hz compared to the 90 Hz of the original.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Might need to upgrade purely for the inside out tracking. I've been using two sensors for a year or so now with no ability to add a third and the inability to do proper room scale has been incredibly disappointing to say the least.

$400 is a fantastic price as well. Paired with the Quest, I'll be set with my HMDs for a while.

whatsarobot

Nov 17, 2017
I hope a PSVR S is coming soon with Touch controller equivalents. The controller sync/camera set up is the number one deterrent I have from plugging in for a quick session.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
I went hands-on and put the Oculus Rift S through the paces: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019...s-rift-s-more-pixels-zero-cameras-better-fit/

My first Oculus Rift S demo, which took place within the upcoming Insomniac Games VR adventure Stormland, let me test this [upward facing sensor] with a handy real-time shadow system. I could stand against any light source, turn around, and see my robo-body's shadow and its arm motions while looking straight ahead. This confirmed that above-the-head hand motions were neatly and accurately mapped. However, priming my hand in that medieval bow-and-arrow way did falter.
As a guy who likes rudimentary VR combat (V-archery?), I was a bit bummed. But something more notable did not emerge after my 20 minutes within Stormland: fatigue.

mrglcs

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Man, I haven't used VR since I briefly tried PSVR for a month back in 2016. I'm really interested in getting back into it since I recently upgraded my CPU.

So uh, stupid question, but are Oculus headsets compatible with Steam?

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Worth noting that it also has some drawbacks compared to the previous version:

That being said, the design is entirely new, but not all of the changes are ones VR fans will be happy about.

The Rift S will be replacing the Rift in the Oculus product lineup.

Here's what's different:

• Small resolution increase from (1080 X 1200) to (1280 X 1440), improved lenses
  • Frame rate is dropping from 90hz to 80hz
  • Switched from OLED to the LCD panels used on Oculus Go
  • 5 onboard cameras for inside-out camera tracking
  • Ships with updated Oculus Touch controllers, same as what ships with Quest
  • Loses the on-ear headphones for cheaper-sounding near-ear speakers similar to Oculus Go
  • Ditches the flexible strap for a rigid "halo" design like the PlayStation VR headset
  • FoV is "slightly larger" on the Rift S compared to the Rift, Oculus tells us
  • No manual adjustment of distance between your eyes (IPD)
  • PC spec requirements are largely the same, though you may need a faster CPU we are told
  • More expensive than the last generation at $399 versus $349
https://techcrunch.com/2019/03/20/t...NvbS8&guce_referrer_cs=FnE_zIKVg-uMJ75qu_PycA

The lack of sensors is obviously a huge bonus but the switch from OLED to LCD and the lower-quality speakers especially don't make this as obvious an upgrade as I first thought.

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
I was hoping for some cost savings due to the sensors being built in, sort of disappointing to see $400 - I mean they even went with a single LED instead of 2 OLED with less refresh. I want it but, not sure if I should upgrade my rift till a sale. That being said the regular rift optics are pretty bad, and god rays are quite annoying.

Edit: I can't help but think the price consideration has to do with them wanting to push Quest now, and the realization that they can't subsidize as much with rift users buying Steam VR software half the time instead of through their own store.

Last edited: