• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Introducing Oculus Air Link, a Wireless Way to Play PC VR Games on Oculus Quest 2, Plus Infinite Office Updates, Support for 120 Hz on Quest 2, and More

Today we’re announcing features that will begin rolling out soon in the v28 software update to Oculus Quest headsets. Oculus Air Link is a wireless way to play PC VR games on Quest 2, while new Infinite Office features make getting work done in VR even easier. We’re also announcing native 120 Hz...

Oculus is rolling out an update this week that will officially let players stream VR games from PC to Oculus Quest 2 without wire. Also Quest 2 will be able to run games at 120 Hz natively, but the catch is that the apps has to updated for 120 Hz. At the moment no app supports 120 Hz yet.

Today we're announcing features that will begin rolling out soon in the v28 software update to Oculus Quest headsets. Oculus Air Link is a wireless way to play PC VR games on Quest 2, while new Infinite Office features make getting work done in VR even easier. We're also announcing native 120 Hz support for Quest 2 for an ultra-smooth gameplay experience.

Air Link will ship in Experimental mode on Quest 2, and we're excited to hear the community's feedback while Air Link is in early development.

Air Link gives people more options for accessing PC VR games on Quest 2. Oculus Link cables will still provide a robust and consistent experience, while those with a strong WiFi setup can choose to stream wirelessly through Air Link. If you want to charge your headset during your VR exploits, experience the highest-fidelity visuals possible, or if your available WiFi network is congested or unsecured, Link via USB-C cable is the way to go. If you have a strong and secure WiFi network and if your playspace is ideally within roughly 20 feet of your WiFi router, Air Link will be a good option.

Now, we're giving gamers and developers even more choice to push smooth gameplay to the next level with the option to enable a 120 Hz display refresh rate on Quest 2. Developers can soon begin to ship apps on the Oculus Store that run at 120 Hz natively, while Quest 2 users will be able to opt into the 120 Hz option via a toggle in the Experimental panel to experience these applications at higher frame rates. While there aren't any apps that support 120 Hz just yet, people who turn on this setting will experience 120 Hz performance in apps that choose to support it in the future. Meanwhile, Quest 2 system software will remain at 90 Hz. Oculus Link support for 120 Hz will come in a future release.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Still a bit upset Quest 1 can support 90 but will never get the update for it. 120hz is real nice though for Quest 2.

Mar 23, 2018
God damn. Quest 2 just gets better and better. Continues to make me mad it has typical Facebook shenanigans involved or I'd pick one up in a heartbeat. Hope someday people can jailbreak it and disconnect it from Facebook's abilitiy to ban you for not using a real facebook account.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That will be a pretty big game-changer. Everyone else is going to be playing catch-up for quite some time.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Is 120hz only for native apps with support, or can that be enabled for Oculus Link?

Edit: Just saw the bit about that being a future update. Neat!

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
Holy shit, I just got Quest 2. I played Alyx using Link and Virtual Desktop and I preferred Virtual Desktop so much just because I was untethered.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
So does this make VD obsolete then?

Virtual Desktop's dev responded by saying that with the issues on the wired link, he thinks his product will still have something to offer. He also basically stated that Facebook is stealing everyone's apps. That may be partially true, especially with some apps, but wireless was coming regardless. The question is how much VD sped up the process and how similar the method is (if it's even a unique method).

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
What is actually new here with the WiFi implementation? I was under the impression this could be accomplished within weeks from Quest 1's release, no?

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
I know Carmack spoke about wireless during the most recent Oculus Connect and was pushing for official implementation even though it wasn't perfect. He got pushback, but I guess they decided that the bar of quality is finally good enough to make the official transition. I knew they would make it an experimental feature relatively soon; it's an absolutely huge feature to have in a currently wire dominated industry and will help push PCVR forward considerably.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
Is there any reason to keep my Rift over upgrading to this?

Sarobi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is actually great. I don't use FB, so would they ban me and render this thing completely useless if I was to create a "John Doe" FB for it?

Jun 1, 2018
Upland
I've been enjoying my Wireless Vive Pro + Index Controllers as my premium VR experience....however my Quest 2 just becomes more easier to play with as the days go....finding myself lazier to setup the Vive. I mean I still enjoy how the index controllers feel vs Quest 2 but yeah...anyways what I'm trying to say is this is probably going to lead me to use the Quest 2 even more. Especially since I recently moved and I haven't even re-mounted my base stations yet.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Man, I really like my Quest 1 but they're knocking it out of the park with features. I don't have the budget to upgrade yet, though.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Holy shit so were getting 120Hz support AND wireless streaming!

God damn what an update!

HeavenlyE

Oct 27, 2017
So should I not buy an oculus link with my quest 2, this will work just as well but wireless?

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
I'll have to hang on to my Quest 1 and VD for now but this is great news. I'll be there to upgrade to an eventual Quest 3 though.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
This is awesome news. Is this like Virtual Desktop or are there any catches when comparing the two?
I still haven't jumped in (the Quest2 seemed like an update more than a new generation) but this makes me very tempted, just makes the experience so much easier.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
This will push me to buy one. Tethered VR is archaic and one of the main factors in the way of mainstream adoption I feel. This makes it instantly better than a Rift S.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
And that is the sound of thousands of Rift S owners, knowing the end is near. I fully expect Oculus to officially announce the death of the Rift S, and with this, well there you go.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Would love to see the lag be better than VirtualDesktop. No wonder they're dumping the Rift. Probably Quest 3 will be all wireless, with all the advantages of the Rift.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I really need to accelerate getting my Quest 2 and finally retire my CV1. It's been great but it's certainly starting to feel a little antiquated.

Love that the future is wireless. Need to do some VR in my garden!

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I'd be surprised if it renders VD obsolete, at least out of the gate. Still, a great step forward and 120Hz support is awesome.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
I really need to accelerate getting my Quest 2 and finally retire my CV1. It's been great but it's certainly starting to feel a little antiquated.

Love that the future is wireless. Need to do some VR in my garden!

I'm in the same boat; what's holding me back right now is that my PC is also antiquated and can't take full advantage of the Quest 2 resolution. If I cared more about standalone I would have one by now, but each update like this has me closer and closer to just going for it. The Quest 3 is still at least a year away, may be hard for me to hold out that long.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
And that is the sound of thousands of Rift S owners, knowing the end is near. I fully expect Oculus to officially announce the death of the Rift S, and with this, well there you go.
They have, it's officially a discontinued product according to Facebook and they no longer stock replacement parts.

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious how they have handled this. I didn't think 120hz at a resolution like that was possible wirelessly without latency.

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is awesome news. Is this like Virtual Desktop or are there any catches when comparing the two?
I still haven't jumped in (the Quest2 seemed like an update more than a new generation) but this makes me very tempted, just makes the experience so much easier.

No idea if Air Link will work with PC VR titles outside of Oculus Store (eg Viveport, SteamVR) at the moment. But with the update already progressively rolling out I think we'll find out very soon.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Quest 3 is gunna be bonkers. Will buy then unless PSVR2 is especially mind-blowing

There's part of me that just wants to wait for Quest 3. Presumably coming next year? Because the tech will be silly good at this rate. But then... I guess you could keep doing that forever. Waiting for the next one.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Sounds good in theory, but as with streaming of any kinds, two big questions:
- Latency?
- Compression?

Oct 29, 2017
No idea if Air Link will work with PC VR titles outside of Oculus Store (eg Viveport, SteamVR) at the moment. But with the update already progressively rolling out I think we'll find out very soon.

Why wouldn't it? Anything can be launched from Virtual Desktop or added to the Rift Library. I know there was some setup with VD but Link was plug and play for me with no hassle.