Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
There should really be some kind of dirge or tune or musical thing that we could play to pay it tribute.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
I had fun with the game, it could have been something much more. Pretty disappointed.

Kindekuma

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is going down the rabbit hole of long forgotten games.
Say hi to Brink for me.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm not surprised, but I was hoping they would get a chance to turn Anthem around.

Anthem is the first original IP BioWare has created completely under EA (Dragon Age was in development long before the acquisition, and Mass Effect was with Microsoft), so it's a shame to see it be a failure. I hope it doesn't deter them from making new IPs in the future.

Zephon

Dec 10, 2017
Can't say i'm surprised, but what sucks is there goes another new IP that could have had some potential.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
I really wanted this game to make a "A Realm Reborn" type of comeback. Anthem is a beautiful game with obvious flaws but I had lots of fun the time I played it.

Zodzilla

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I think it's for the best, but it's a bummer how much time and effort was spent on creating this product only for it to fizzle out and vanish.

Always a bummer to see misplaced resources.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Did they ever do any big updates since Anthem came out? i know they had a roadmap and that got tossed out almost immedietly, but like.... was there ever any big update?

They did the Cataclysm for a season which was received positively, but other than that no. Notably, no continuation of the story after the vanilla cliffhanger.

As someone who bought Anthem day 1, this is probably for the best. Besides the combat mechanics, the game would have required almost a total reboot and I just can't see the audience being there for that.

I'm glad the devs are moving to Dragon Age and Mass Effect and, along with SWTOR, focusing the scope of their projects there.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
What a blunder.
It was nice they tried. But it was too late.

What kind of blows my mind is the idea that a "small team" has been working on this since 2019.

The idea was that this would be more than a simply update to the game. It was supposed to drastically rework it. How is an ambitious goal like that something that only a small team was working on? This never had a chance.

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
People have been posting this for over 10 years now. I swear, some of you actually want this to happen.
The output Biowares had since? To some of us it already happened.

As for Anthem, think it's better that they shutter it and consider it lesson learned for the next original project. Much rather that than talented people get wasted trying to resuscitate it, even if it did work.

Similar with Fallout 76, would have much prefered they moved on and created the next big thing than bring a terribad game to mildly enjoyable status after a few years of dedicated work. Worked for Rainbow Six and FFXIV but I don't think it's always worth it.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Not surprised but still kind of surprised. Where does Anthem rank in biggest gaming failures of all-time?
This, avengers, or cyperpunk depending on how much sells it for all ready becuase that game flew off a cliff when it comes to hype and I don't think cyperpunk will be able to redeem themselves being a single player game

dgamemaster

Jun 29, 2020
And thus closes another chapter in EA's massive book about their failiures.

Hope all those devs are ok though.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Super sad news. Well I guess Bioware have to fall back on pushing out some Dragon Age or Mass Effect. Was hoping they would do something with it.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
Unfortunately, I have no confidence that EA will not attempt to integrate GAAS mechanics into the next Dragon Age & Mass Effect. You'd hope the tremendous failure of Anthem would be a sign that Bioware Edmonton should stick to making games that they were "born" to make - singleplayer RPGs focused on impactful narrative and amazing characters.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
That sucks, Anthem had a fun core gameplay that was hampered by some really stupid choices. Maybe it could achieve something really great with a second chance, but I understand the decision.
I hope, they put the flying- and dashing mechanics in the next Mass Effect. Anthem had its` flaws but the movement was great.

RobotVM

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I really doubt that this update would have brought people back or helped sell more copies. It was not worth the cost of continuing development. EA is in the business of making money.

Buyao

Oct 27, 2017
Man probably will find out what went down in Jason's next book
Edit: nvm, should have read the tweet first before replying

So what is Bioware Austin working on now?

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
There's already enough GaaS games running about, this was just one of the inevitable victims of over saturation because it failed to draw an audience. It won't be the last.

New002

Oct 25, 2017
Such a shame...they had something there. Put a solid 100 hours into Anthem with friends and was keeping my fingers crossed for 2.0.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Shame, I wanted it to be good.
Hope the people working on it will be able to do a game that will be well received. Working at Bioware must be hard for the morale right now, hoping the best for the folks.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
If they don't yoink the flight controls and general controls of the Javelins for some kind of suit or armor mod in the next ME they're lost on the plot.

I'll never get over how good it felt to fly around and fight in this game. Damn shame.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
Well I'm currently the least surprised I've ever been. Sucks for those that were holding out hope though.

xem

Oct 31, 2017
Hope everyone who is let go finds work quickly.
Does anyone know did this game run at unlocked framerates or have an option to? considering playing it on PS5 if so.