• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OmahaGTP

Dec 24, 2017
Imo do the FOMO by making the first week the event releases double XP. Then just have those event passes get added to every player's backlog permanently to unlock at their leisure at regular XP levels. That way new players can log in to a whole bunch of the free passes to choose from to unlock in the order they'd like (and the total content available in the game increases over time rather than ship-of-theseus-ing the game forever with no content growth), and the more hardcore are still incentivized to play the events at release to progress the fastest.

I quite like this idea.

MYeager

Oct 30, 2017
For every dozens of you, there are millions who simply dropped off because of the many little cuts like that one.

People rightfully hate FOMO.

Do they? Because it seems effective for most GAAS. The hypothetical millions dropping off because they didn't want to play for an hour or two during a two week event don't seem to be engaged with the product.

Again it wouldn't make a lot of sense as the events are geared towards specific playlists to funnel the community into that playlist for a specific period of time. You lose that and drive up wait times for those modes and lose the whole reason they exist...to please the 'millions'

BradC00

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Doesnt really matter the method of fomo. The game is still in abysmal shape after more than a year. The in game events will continue to have less of an impact as the game continues to drag on in this terrible condition.

At this point i dont think infinite can be salvaged.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Do they? Because it seems effective for most GAAS. The hypothetical millions dropping off because they didn't want to play for an hour or two during a two week event don't seem to be engaged with the product.

Again it wouldn't make a lot of sense as the events are geared towards specific playlists to funnel the community into that playlist for a specific period of time. You lose that and drive up wait times for those modes and lose the whole reason they exist...to please the 'millions'
I get what you're saying, but I think Halo is different in that its community is more grizzled and less accepting of those modern practices.

Could be wrong and the FOMO made no difference whatsoever, but I don't think that's the case. Rather, FOMO was like I said, one of MANY little cuts/reasons why millions of players dropped off, not the ONLY reason.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
What was obviously bullshit ? It's very unlikely 343 is going to develop the next mainline Halo game after all the layoff. But sure, they're going to develop updates for Infinite "now and in the future".
Yep, after major cuts to the studio, it's unlikely they will be all of a sudden to do a job that couldn't be done with 1/3 to 1/2 more staff.

Edit: and what's more annoying is that management is still there who are responsible for the mess. Yet people let go were probably artists, developers, designers, etc... Same shit as the whole MS layoff situation.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

I know early on, the FOMO + the challenge based system was a major turn off.

For many people these days, unlocking customization items is as much a part of the "gameplay loop" as shooting enemies.

If the barrier between the player and the item is fun to navigate, there's no issue. But when you put a time constraints on something that feels more like work than play, you're doing harm to that loop.

If I have FOMO on some armor coating, but I've got to do 5 rare acts in a gamemode that I can't even guarantee will show up during my playtime and I can only play for 5 hrs a week - the developer has effectively sucked the fun out of collecting armor coatings. Even less fun you can pay to maybe get a more tenable challenge, but end up getting something worse.

We shouldn't understate how much weeklytime investment was needed to unlock things, especially early on in Infinite's lifespan. The RNG component to what challenges each player got, and the likelihood of the appropriate gamemodes being queued made it an absolute bear. Just baffling design decisions that shouldn't have made it passed the brainstorming stage.

Last edited:

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, after major cuts to the studio, it's unlikely they will be all of a sudden to do a job that couldn't be done with 1/3 to 1/2 more staff.

Edit: and what's more annoying is that management is still there who are responsible for the mess. Yet people let go were probably artists, developers, designers, etc... Same shit as the whole MS layoff situation.

the managers responsible for 343s mess aren't there anymore. But yes it's a shame the labor had to suffer the consequences of the studio being so poorly managed. It's wild that such a situation was allowed to fester for over a decade.

FuzzyWuzzy

Prophet of Truth
Apr 7, 2019
Austria
I used to blame the content drought for me falling off the game paired with the fact that I didn't enjoy playing on pad but after recently going back to CS and Dota and seeing how I am still insta queuing into the same map sat of Inferno,Mirage and Cache with the same skins I've been rocking for years I am starting to think the underlying gameplay isn't as solid for most as it was for me

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I used to blame the content drought for me falling off the game paired with the fact that I didn't enjoy playing on pad but after recently going back to CS and Dota and seeing how I am still insta queuing into the same map sat of Inferno,Mirage and Cache with the same skins I've been rocking for years I am starting to think the underlying gameplay isn't as solid for most as it was for me
Oh what's that? Back to FORMULA?

Combat Evolved 2, but not by 343. Max Hoberman, Joe Staten, Marcus Lehto - Hired as leads.

DisturbedSwan

Oct 25, 2017
Hampshire, UK.
Pleased Halo is continuing, despite it not being the huge behemoth franchise it once was. It's a shame 343i will continue to have the reigns though as their efforts have been middling at best. But I guess, who else is out there that could do a better job in the next 5 years or so of development.

MYeager

Oct 30, 2017
I know early on, the FOMO + the challenge based system was a major turn off.

For many people these days, unlocking customization items is as much a part of the "gameplay loop" as shooting enemies.

If the barrier between the player and the item is fun to navigate, there's no issue. But when you put a time constraints on something that feels more like work than play, you're doing harm to that loop.

If I have FOMO on some armor coating, but I've got to do 5 rare acts in a gamemode that I can't even guarantee will show up during my playtime and I can only play for 5 hrs a week - the developer has effectively sucked the fun out of collecting armor coatings. Even less fun you can pay to maybe get a more tenable challenge, but end up getting something worse.

We shouldn't understate how much weeklytime investment was needed to unlock things, especially early on in Infinite's lifespan. The RNG component to what challenges each player got, and the likelihood of the appropriate gamemodes being queued made it an absolute bear. Just baffling design decisions that shouldn't have made it passed the brainstorming stage.

I got the whole ten items from the recent one and clippy in 2 hours, early on the events had harder challenges but most of the ones in the last year have been simple and often overlap, such as kill x amount, or accumulate x amount of points. One was just win one game of counter ops. I think you're overstating the time needed to invest. It's a perfectly fine way to promote specific modes for a limited time and feel rewarding for doing so.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I got the whole ten items from the recent one and clippy in 2 hours, early on the events had harder challenges but most of the ones in the last year have been simple and often overlap, such as kill x amount, or accumulate x amount of points. One was just win one game of counter ops. I think you're overstating the time needed to invest. It's a perfectly fine way to promote specific modes for a limited time and feel rewarding for doing so.

The challenges were never "hard". Completing them was divorced from skill. The primary factors was how much luck you had with regards to the RNG systems giving you the necessary scenarios to progress your challenges and/or how much time you had to overcome bad luck.

The changes you're talking about came after much of the population already left the game. The first impression was abysmal. The more recent changes, while certainly welcome, have been too little too late.

MYeager

Oct 30, 2017
The challenges were never "hard". Completing them was divorced from skill. The primary factors was how much luck you had with regards to the RNG systems giving you the necessary scenarios to progress your challenges and/or how much time you had to overcome bad luck.

The changes you're talking about came after much of the population already left the game. The first impression was abysmal. The more recent changes, while certainly welcome, have been too little too late.

Even in the early days they gave out challenge swaps and 2xp like candy. I've still got 48 unused and I didn't even claim them all when they popped up.

I'm glad they made the changes still and listened to that feedback. If folks decide not to come back because they didn't like the first impression that's understandable, but if they've decided to be gone for good dwelling on it when the developers made changes seems not an efficient use of the limited time people have as you mentioned.

BradC00

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They nerfed the challenges to make them easier to get multiple times over the last year, but it wasn't until pretty recent where you could knock them all out in 2 hours.

BradC00

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad they made the changes still and listened to that feedback. If folks decide not to come back because they didn't like the first impression that's understandable, but if they've decided to be gone for good dwelling on it when the developers made changes seems not an efficient use of the limited time people have as you mentioned.

There's just no good reason to come back to infinite. The shitty challenge system made people leave but they were never given a reason to come back and stay for example forge had people come back but CGB wasn't in, and when it was put in it barely worked for a lot of people and if they instead went to play a playlists and all the issues with desync and gun jamming and matchmaking popped up so they just went back to apex or whatever.

The game doesn't really respect your time enough to make up for the battle pass only taking 2 hours to complete. It's a mess.

MYeager

Oct 30, 2017
There's just no good reason to come back to infinite. The shitty challenge system made people leave but they were never given a reason to come back and stay for example forge had people come back but CGB wasn't in, and when it was put in it barely worked for a lot of people and if they instead went to play a playlists and all the issues with desync and gun jamming and matchmaking popped up so they just went back to apex or whatever.

The game doesn't really respect your time enough to make up for the battle pass only taking 2 hours to complete. It's a mess.

Battle passes still take way more than two hours. The events have been pretty quick for the last several at least, even the last man standing one wasn't a struggle.

And that's fine if people think it doesn't respect their time. Personally I find it fun, and so pop in when there's an event or new pass, play a couple hours a week at most and have fun and complete them easy.

Other GAAS feel like a daily grind personally.

BradC00

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Battle passes still take way more than two hours.

To be clear, I'm speaking about weekly challenges being done in two hours. I stopped playing weekly when winter update came out because there's nothing new and of how bad of an experience it is for me to get matched with randomgeneratedname17652 who goes 1-21 every other match.

But if you've only played a few hours a week you probably aren't as fed up as me with the many issues I face every time I log in.

Wrench

Jan 19, 2022
The Challenges in the first 4 weeks after release were ass.

• Earn 10 Plasma Pistol headshots in PVP while in air with the Drop Wall gadget equipped.
  • Drive a Warthog off a cliff 5 times in PVP with every available seat occupied by teammate Spartans with no Grappleshots equipped.
  • Kill 15 enemy Spartans with Shade Turret in PVP.
  • Earn 40 Backsmacks against enemy Spartans in PVP.
  • Teabag 100 AI Spartans in Bot Bootcamp mode after killing them with Needler or Energy Sword.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Even in the early days they gave out challenge swaps and 2xp like candy. I've still got 48 unused and I didn't even claim them all when they popped up.

The fact challenge swaps exist (and can be bought) are just emblematic if how poor the system is. It's an acknowledgment that they have a system that gates progress behind things players will get frustrated doing. The hope was that players would pay for a chance to get a less frustrating challenge. The worst is that you can use challenge swaps and end up with the same challenge or even a worse one.

I'm glad they made changes. It's not as bad as it was before. But that not enough to bring people back.

I don't think people that are gone "dwell" on it. They are just off playing other games… not thinking about Halo… which is Halo's biggest problem- squandered mindshare.

Last edited: