• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
HAC_A_HEBAA.main.jpg

Alongside the new Brain Age game, Nintendo has revealed a new and innovative accessory for their console: a stylus!

It will retail for 864 JPY in Japan, which is about $9. So it will probably be $9.99 in the US.

It will release on December 27th. In Japan it's available to pre-order in the My Nintendo Store https://store.nintendo.co.jp/item/HAC_A_HEBAA.html

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Too bad there isn't a hole when you remove one of the joycons to slide this into. Would work so well... Maybe with a future model.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
If you're wondering yes, this is the same dimension/shape as the Mario Maker 2 stylus, I just made a rough comparison putting mine next to the picture

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Should have been included from the start, but it's not exactly an overly excessive accessory. I bought one that isn't from Ninty that practically looks the same, satisfied with that one so I don't think I'll need this.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Will wait a couple months to see if they'll be reports of it fucking up screens

Deleted member 20852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I prefer using a thicker stylus for capacitive touch screens, I feel it better suits the slightly inaccurate nature of the screens. I've specifically been using a Cosmonaut stylus (https://www.studioneat.com/products/cosmonaut) for Mario Maker.

On the topic of the Brain Age game itself, I might actually want to play it! I played the original on the DS quite a bit, and it does feel nice when you get faster with especially the calculation tasks.

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
This is going to be way less precise than the 3DS and Wii U ones because of the different technology, right?

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
This is going to be way less precise than the 3DS and Wii U ones because of the different technology, right?
Yes, with this they'll most likely have to have you draw large letters/numbers. This is like the styli people used to use on iPads before Apple Pencils were a thing. They're pretty awful.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Really excited for this. Hopefully Brain Age gets announced for NA and we also get Art Academy in the future. I was worried the
Switch wouldn't get these smaller handheld-focused series from the past

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
If they feel like making a vertical Picross game that uses this, I'd give it a shot.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Does this increase the chances of a potential DS VC in the near future?
You probably wouldn't want to play DS games that require precise touch input using one of these. The tips are wide and mushy, rather than being as fine-tipped as a DS or 3DS stylus due to the difference in screen tech.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
There's really no room on the switch for that, if you look at teardown vids.
there could be if it was designed with a long hallow hole inside of the Switch like I'm talking about, it just wasn't something they were thinking about doing IMO, but would be interesting to add to a new model, especially if brain age and maybe art academy get popular... also wouldn't hurt for designing animal crossing textures.