DinkyDev

The Movie Critic
Feb 5, 2021
BAhUPlD.jpeg

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
Do folks really hate musicals THAT much? Wild.
It's not that people hate musicals; it's that marketing for these movies are going out of their way to avoid calling it a musical. Think of it like those mobile game ads that look fun puzzle game but instead it's a generic match 3 game instead.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Had to google if that was Ariana as it looked like her. It is.

Should I just go to the theatre to see this for the first time, never have and I heard it's good.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Are they still going to try to hide that it's a musical?

If people really think this isn't a musical then I don't know what to say at this point

If it was based on the book I'm almost certain they'd use the full title and hammer the fact that it's based on the book and not on one of the top musicals of our lifetimes.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
It's not that people hate musicals; it's that marketing for these movies are going out of their way to avoid calling it a musical. Think of it like those mobile game ads that look fun puzzle game but instead it's a generic match 3 game instead.
See, I'm perfectly fine with a musical, if I know it's a musical ahead of time. Going into a regular movie and then having the cast suddenly break into song will rip me right out of the experience. If I know ahead of time, and put myself in the mindset for a musical, then I'm expecting it and it's fine. I enjoyed the recent Wonka movie, for example.

It's like going to see a horror movie. It's about mindset. If you put yourself in the mindset to watch horror, then it's fine. If you don't, that movie will fuck you up.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Everything about this movie so far is missing that cool steampunk vibe that gave the original production that extra sauce.

Are they still going to try to hide that it's a musical?

The little video they put out yesterday did not hide it at all, so we'll see.

Also, everyone already knows Wicked is a musical lmao.

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
i went to see Mean Girls in the theater, another movie where they hid that it was a musical in the advertising and the entire audience audibly groaned once they started singing lol.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Still don't understand why they are doing two parts for this when the second half of the play isn't anywhere near as good as the first half.

ivantod

Oct 27, 2017
Do we know if its still a 2-part movie?
Apparently yes. Although they're clearly trying to hide it.

I still don't understand how they are going to strech that musical over two whole films. I think the only option will be to include a lot more material from the books. I don't see how else.

Edit: Oh, lol it seems that the official names for the two films are: Wicked and Wicked Part Two! Just lol.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Jesus I already hate airbrushing, this is just slathered in it. Like someone forgot to tell them when to stop. Might as well have just been an AI poster (which.... it may have been for all we know).

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
That's the thing though! THEY DON'T.

We keep seeing musicals have long tails at the cinema. If people didn't like musicals they'd fall off a cliff rather than being sustained by word of mouth for months.
When was the last musical to come out billed as a musical and make money though? 2018ish? Cats bombed so hard it lost money pre pandemic. In the Heights couldn't do much despite having Lin Manuel behind it, going to max early, and great reviews. With the box office struggling since the pandemic and musicals being kind of risky i get the hesitancy.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
When was the last musical to come out billed as a musical and make money though? 2018ish? Cats bombed so hard it lost money pre pandemic. In the Heights couldn't do much despite having Lin Manuel behind it, going to max early, and great reviews. With the box office struggling since the pandemic and musicals being kind of risky i get the hesitancy.
When a movie like Wonka makes more money in its third weekend than its second, that should tell you that your prerelease marketing wasn't reaching the right audience. Or Mary Poppins Returns making more money in its second weekend than its first. Or The Greatest Showman doing the same.

The lesson from Cats should never have been that people don't like musicals. In the Heights had to deal with the simultaneous release on Max. West Side Story had... well... its own problem with Engort and the allegations against him.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
When a movie like Wonka makes more money in its third weekend than its second, that should tell you that your prerelease marketing wasn't reaching the right audience. Or Mary Poppins Returns making more money in its second weekend than its first. Or The Greatest Showman doing the same.

The lesson from Cats should never have been that people don't like musicals. In the Heights had to deal with the simultaneous release on Max. West Side Story had... well... its own problem with Engort and the allegations against him.

Those all aren't particularly great examples since the holiday season can be funny like that when it comes to weekends, and not JUST with musicals (see, I don't know, the original Avatar). Movies during that season generally have longer legs than normal, although Greatest Showman was a particularly large outlier in that it really didn't catch on for a few weeks.

Also, Wonka hid the fact that it was a musical more than both of the other movies that got criticized for doing so this past holiday season (Color Purple and Mean Girls).

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017
Still don't understand why they are doing two parts for this when the second half of the play isn't anywhere near as good as the first half.

They intended to make it one film, and then the director said he couldn't figure out any way to not have Defying Gravity be a natural stopping point without it making the rest of the movie awkward. If they're bringing in stuff from the books, they could pretty easily do two films

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wait they are making this two parts? Just make a three hour musical! We've had them for decades!

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
The background and Galinda look like they were generated by AI or something. Like... uncanny valley type whimsical stuff. Elphaba looks good though.
I'll still watch this because I love the musical to death, but my expectations are lowwwwwww.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
hated this play

is this supposed to be cg? or live action? that poster makes it look like the polar express 2 or something

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Wait they are making this two parts? Just make a three hour musical! We've had them for decades!
Yeah, splitting it into two acts. I think it's maybe easier to justify here, since the second act is presumably going to deal with all the Dorothy Gale stuff. Apparently any time they tried to do it as a single movie Defying Gravity happening half way through broke the thing. That's a song that needs to sit with the audience rather than the film carrying on right after it ends.

hated this play

is this supposed to be cg? or live action? that poster makes it look like the polar express 2 or something
It's live action.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, splitting it into two acts. I think it's maybe easier to justify here, since the second act is presumably going to deal with all the Dorothy Gale stuff. Apparently any time they tried to do it as a single movie Defying Gravity happening half way through broke the thing. That's a song that needs to sit with the audience rather than the film carrying on right after it ends.
Call me crazy, but it sounds like they could have used an Intermission and solved the problem right there.

GoodGrief

Jan 24, 2024
They intended to make it one film, and then the director said he couldn't figure out any way to not have Defying Gravity be a natural stopping point without it making the rest of the movie awkward. If they're bringing in stuff from the books, they could pretty easily do two films
The lengths they will go to not bring back the intermission...

twentytwo22

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe this is coming out in two parts, oof. I love musicals and it's gonna be a pass from me, dawg. Maybe I'll watch em on streaming once they are both out.

MyDudeMango

Jul 17, 2021
Canada
Call me crazy, but it sounds like they could have used an Intermission and solved the problem right there.
100%. I don't think every film needs an intermission like some do, but if your problem is that the film is a bit too long and needs a break in the middle... this is literally what intermissions were made for!! It's the perfect place for a deliberate and well-positioned intermission. Not to mention a good intermission at the right time is classy as hell and enhances the experience imo.