• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Edmond Dantès

It belongs in a museum!
Aug 24, 2022
UK

View: https://youtu.be/vG45GfgD2JU?si=DtgFYA_jq6h2pSxD

About:
A sneak peek of Netflix's One Hundred Years of Solitude has been released. The series adaptation of the Gabriel García Marquez novel bows on the streamer later this year.

The multi-generational tale follows the Buendía family and tells the story of the founding of the mythical town of Macondo.

The Spanish-language series was filmed in Colombia with support from the family of García Marquez, whose acclaimed novel has sold more than 50 million copies and been translated into 40 languages. Netflix released a brief teaser in 2022 to coincide with the 40th anniversary of García Marquez winning the Nobel Prize for Literature, but the new teaser reveals much more.
deadline-com.cdn.ampproject.org

‘One Hundred Years Of Solitude’: Netflix Unveils Teaser For Series Adaptation Of Gabriel García Marquez’s Magical Realist Masterpiece

‘One Hundred Years Of Solitude’: Netflix Unveils Teaser For Adaptation Of Gabriel García Marquez’s Magical Realist Masterpiece

Based on:

9780241968581.jpg

Pipes herald the arrival of gypsies on their annual visit to Macondo where José Arcadio Buendía and his wife have started their new life. Neither can know the significance of the indecipherable manuscript that the gypsy Melquíades passes them. Plagues of insomnia, civil war, hauntings and vendettas push memories of the manuscript aside. Few remember its existence and only one will discover the hidden message that it holds...

Oct 25, 2017
Please please be... decent, at least. I don't believe anyone can adapt this well, but at least let this be watchable 🙏I don't want to see my favorite novel be butchered.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
This novel is my favorite. It's the whole reason I became a write, majored in English, and got my MFA. I hope this is good. Doubt it though.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It's a beast of a novel to put on screen. I'm not terribly hopeful, especially after the train wreck that was All the Light We Cannot See. It's a very pretty trailer though, some Inarritu vibes in the cinematography. Hoping for the best (or at least not the worst)

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
It looks beautifully shot so at least it will be a pleasure to watch on an OLED. But this is what I sub to Netflix. The international content is unmatched.

Phatmanny

Nov 14, 2017
Without a doubt, my favorite character is the village of Macondo itself. if they can actually flesh out the city and the way it thrives and evolves until meeting its demise by the banana company . Then for me at least, the adaptation will be serviceable.

I'm definitely interested though

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

Phatmanny

Nov 14, 2017
I haven't read the novel, so... what makes this one so hard to adapt it right?
Just the scope of the whole thing. Tons of fleshed out character. Tons of small doses of Magic. A fantastical setting. All taken place over multiple generations.

the book is almost entirely a narrator describing the lives of a very cursed family. It's a LOT to take in

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
I think the primary quality making it unfilmable in my mind is that it spans multiple generations and most of the characters share names or portions of names over generations, but also those names engender specific qualities. So, future descendants are also kind of future manifestations of the same person, or pieces of people who had already lived. It's something that works well in text because the names collapse a lot of traits into the book's own shorthand and you can easily imagine a character's vibe or identity because you were already introduced to "them" several chapters earlier. One would think casting would be impossible, because you couldn't just use the same actors across multiple generations, but it would also feel incomplete casting new people, IMO.

Oct 25, 2017
Very very dense and beautiful prose which covers several generations in a family's life with dozens of characters in not too many pages (less than 400). Written in a style very similar to "stream of conciousness" and it mostly describes actions and events rather than using the typical dialogue and scenes structure in most of fiction. Just mapping it all out for a screenplay must've been an insanely difficult task, let alone filling in the blanks so it feels like a coherent story. And their biggest mistake would be if this is focused on the actual events rather than the themes as it's purely a character focused plot.

From wikipedia:
There is an underlying pattern of Latin American history in One Hundred Years of Solitude. It has been said that the novel is one of a number of texts that "Latin American culture has created to understand itself."[16] In this sense, the novel can be conceived as a linear archive that narrates the story of a Latin America discovered by European explorers

Also, the subgenre it's in is just really difficult to get right on screen (magical realism). I don't have my hopes high here, but I'll admit that the narrator in the trailer is a good sign that they at the very least understand what they're working with.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've always wanted to read this book. I'll wait to see what people think of this series before I decide whether to watch it or read it

slider

Nov 10, 2020
Love the book. Remember finishing it and those closing chapters... My mind was on fire. Unfortunately that's all I remember. So I should reread it.

Having lived in Colombia for a few years bought so much of his work to life (of course I spent a lot of time visiting Cartagena!).

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
This is one of my fave novels, I just dont see it turned into a series and still be recognisable as the story I love.

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
I haven't read this book for a long time, but it left a mark and I think about it regularly.

I don't see how any movie could capture the spirit of the book, the characters, and their struggles. I wish Netflix luck, but I get the feeling that they're going to focus on spectacle because that will be easier than capturing the rest of the story.

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
This is a fantastic novel, I recently re-read it for the first time in 15 years, but it's not a book that lends itself to adaptation.

I really hope will be good, but I can't help but be skeptical.

Akabeko

Oct 27, 2017
Love the book. Remember finishing it and those closing chapters... My mind was on fire. Unfortunately that's all I remember. So I should reread it.

Having lived in Colombia for a few years bought so much of his work to life (of course I spent a lot of time visiting Cartagena!).

I saw him on a plane from Cartagena to Bogota once! A couple of my classmates went up and spoke with him and I took a picture for them.

mantidor

Oct 25, 2017
Oh boy, I am cautionary optimistic, this is a tough adaptation to do.

As a Colombian, needless to say, the importance of this book is huge. even when the events are fictional they feel so real, its like when I hear the stories of my family, this is one is very close to home so it will be painful if the series doesn't deliver.

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
This is one of his works I haven't read yet. Hopefully, Netflix can deliver at least a decent adaptation. Also, I hope they have actual Colombian actors in this, especially for the lead. *coughnarcoscough*

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Still haven't read this one. Read a few of Marquez's short stories but never his novels. I'm sure folks think it's stupid, but reading works by Latin American (and more so Colombian) authors can very intensely trigger my incredibly low self esteem and body image as a Colombian woman.

Maybe one day I'll get to it. Hope the adaptation can offer something positive to fans.

Oct 25, 2017
Still haven't read this one. Read a few of Marquez's short stories but never his novels. I'm sure folks think it's stupid, but reading works by Latin American (and more so Colombian) authors can very intensely trigger my incredibly low self esteem and body image as a Colombian woman.

Maybe one day I'll get to it. Hope the adaptation can offer something positive to fans.
The english language edition is amazing if reading the original is a problem.

kinoki

Oct 28, 2017
Love the book. Have read it several times. I like that if you nod off a bit and miss a few lines several people can have been killed off, some more have been born and a few more dozen have been introduced in other random ways. Will be exciting to see how they adapt this.