Status
Not open for further replies.

Sun-Squirrel

Sep 25, 2020
Dundee
So when do Sony put their prices up or does the price increase in games offset this. Will be interesting if by the end of this year both subscription services cost upward of 100 dollars each.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
$120 a year for Xbox Live Gold is absolutely insane

This is a huge mistake and cant possibly be worth the bad PR

Fortunately I have Game Pass Ultimate through 2023

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What about all the folks who own an Xbox just to play games that are you know... not on Gamepass? Lots of people just play Call of Duty or Madden or 2K etc. You know the big games that aren't on gamepass.

The value proposition for gamepass ultimate vastly exceeds Xbox live gold and you know... includes gold.

If you're sticking with gold despite it costing the same as gamepass ultimate well You'd be an idiot...and I think that's what MS is counting on. People looking at the costs of both and all the extras you get from gamepass ultimate and hoping people make the logical transition...only for them to then hike the price for that too.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
You only increase price on subs if you really needs it, especially when your service is already giving profits. Like I said, Sony would do that if for some reason they wanted to push something or inflation. MS reason here it's obvious after all.
No. companies increase the price, if they think the increased price doesn't hurt the services growths. We could see this with the increased price of next gen games. There was no reason to do that for Sony. Their games were selling incredible well. But the thought they'll will continue selling incredible well with the price increase, too. "So why not make even more money" - literally every company ever

ZeroCDR

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is a good point, but personally I love the "rental" aspect of GPU, seeing as how individual games are upwards of $90 in my region, whereas GPU can be had for $120/year and stacked, with minimal deal hunting effort (it goes on sale periodically)

But yeah, I totally get this being distasteful to those who truly just want to play their own games online.

Imo it's nice to see "blockbuster video" back with GPU

GPU makes sense for a lot of people, I think it's a great option and I'm happy for those that get the most out of it.

For someone like me, GPU is a waste. I don't have anywhere near enough gaming time anymore to fully appreciate the content, a lot of which is time sensitive. It's a better value for me to buy the games I want to play, and play them when I can play them.

I thought both services could coexist, but this is a hostile move to get everyone on GPU. I have no incentive to prioritize multiplayer games on X now, I'm trying to reconcile it as a single player companion machine.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
The *current* price is the current price. These *new* prices are not in effect yet. They are not taking effect until 1-2 months from now. There is 0 room for interpretation here that means anything else.
Ah, I thought the new prices had already taken affect because I'd seen that card with the new price.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is ridiculous.

GWG needs to go away. Charge £20 a year for people who want to play online or they can get GPU.

There, I've fixed it.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
I keep reading people suggesting Ultimate goes up in price, but I don't think that is something they will want to do until it reaches a much higher number of subs. It is inevitable, but it could be 10 years until we see something like that.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
Ah, I thought the new prices had already taken affect because I'd seen that card with the new price.
If you're in a region where prices are being adjusted, you will receive an email and a message center notification over the next month letting you know what the new pricing is for your membership. Going forward, new pricing will be 1-month for $10.99, 3-months for $29.99, and 6-months for $59.99, or your local market equivalent. You can always visit your account to manage your membership, and prices won't adjust until at least 45 days after you receive the messages.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
So when do Sony put their prices up or does the price increase in games offset this. Will be interesting if by the end of this year both subscription services cost upward of 100 dollars each.

That's a good question.

Given that Sony is still charging for their first party titles and they continue to sell well, I bet they feel less pressure to raise prices on PS+. Any increase would hopefully come with some additional benefits and should be modest by comparison.

I keep reading people suggesting Ultimate goes up in price, but I don't think that is something they will want to do until it reaches a much higher number of subs. It is inevitable, but it could be 10 years until we see something like that.

Given that Netflix increases prices ~every two years, I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft follows a similar schedule. It'll probably start to happen around the time their major post-Halo first party titles come out.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
The value proposition for gamepass ultimate vastly exceeds Xbox live gold and you know... includes gold.

If you're sticking with gold despite it costing the same as gamepass ultimate well You'd be an idiot...and I think that's what MS is counting on. People looking at the costs of both and all the extras you get from gamepass ultimate and hoping people make the logical transition...only for them to then hike the price for that too.

Folks who were already paying for Live and not Gamepass Ultimate probably were doing it for a reason. The most likely reason being they didn't have any interest in games Ultimate were offering because they're only playing the big new games that don't show up on Gamepass to begin with.

You're making the assumption that the price hike means people will just switch to GPU. Maybe they will or maybe these people who are thinking about buying a new console this year just simply switch platforms entirely because they don't feel like paying $10 a month to play Madden and COD online when there are other platforms where you can do it for much cheaper or free

nofriendo

Jun 4, 2019
Because I don't want to be "pushed".

You are attempting to rationalize a doubling of prices and wondering why people are shocked.

I am not trying to rationalize it in a way of saying that its ok for the consumer who wants to stay on gold. From Microsoft perspective it is what needs to happen to get people where they want....on Game Pass paying a monthly sub. People should really not be shocked by it, yes they can think it is wrong but definitely not shocked or surprised at the move.

I would bank on XBLG not existing in a year or so. Get enough people onto GPU and then remove XBLG and make MP free. I think all the rumours of MP going free are real, just not in the timeline or the way that people have been saying it.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Having read a bunch of takes on this price increase, it seems some people are forgetting there is a large audience of Xbox gamers who only play the annual FIFA/CoD/Madden games or Fortnite and nothing else. They have no interest in GamePass, so they are now paying double to play their games online.

plow

Oct 28, 2017

Gold is still cheaper than GPU. GPU is 180$ a year.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Serious question: how are PC games (that aren't MMOs) able to provide free online while the 3 console makers are charging for it even after purchasing their hardware?
This by no means a comprehensive list and I'm only going to talk about Gold...

Here's some what you're paying for:
  • A centralised account and identity service
  • An enforcement team to monitor the platform and its users.
  • 'Free' games (these used to be good, since Game Pass turned up they're not so good..)
  • A centralised matchmaking service with "TrueSkill" ranking

Cloud based saves used to be part Gold but are now free, basically log into any Xbox (or Game Pass cloud) and start a game and your save file is synchronised and you continue where you left off.

It's sold as a multiplayer thing, that's the hook, your money actually pays for a lot of infrastructure which is made available to developers and for keeping the platform 'safe'.

Last edited:

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
The price is a bit too steep for my taste. 120 a year for online is crazy talk and I expect Sony to follow in some manner this year or next. Either way, it's coming and PC continues to be the best value all around.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
This sucks for the people investing in the console. I feel very fortunate that I invested in a Gaming PC a few years ago, so I only had to deal with the Game Pass for PC price hike from $5/month to $10/month.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Conspiracy theory:

- Xbox wanted to drop XBLG
- Impact to fiscal reports was deemed too high, given that would likely lead to a big drop in paid subscriptions initially, which would look bad for a service-driven company
- Idea was to artificially make people migrate to GPU via this strategy
- When XBLG is low enough in subscription numbers compared to GP + GPU, they'll drop it entirely

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
What about all the folks who own an Xbox just to play games that are you know... not on Gamepass? Lots of people just play Call of Duty or Madden or 2K etc. You know the big games that aren't on gamepass.

yeah for people like that I do feel bad.

It doesn't matter much to someone saying "ah but for only another $60/year you can get GPU" if all they want to do is play CoD online.
After all there are plenty of folk out there who only play a couple of big games like CoD and that's it, beyond that there's no interest.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
it's impressive how they double the price just by saying they are increasing the price a dollar per month.
Because people still don't get it. The current price of gold is $50 for 6 months. $100 for 12 months. Don't confuse the remaining retailer stock of the old 12-month cards because Microsoft stopped producing and selling those last year. That is not the actual current price of gold.
This is limited stock. They don't make these anymore.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
I would bank on XBLG not existing in a year or so. Get enough people onto GPU and then remove XBLG and make MP free. I think all the rumours of MP going free are real, just not in the timeline or the way that people have been saying it.

I don't know how you can look at what they did today and ever come to this conclusion. The fact F2P games aren't free on Gold still kind of says it all. I agree they eventually get rid of Live and make you pay $20 a month but it will be $20 a month or get absolutely nothing.

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
There is nothing strange about incremental price increases to a service. However, a 100% price increase without substantially increasing XBL's value is bad business.

To me, this is a sign of rocky management. Is this price increase a response to poor adoption initiatives that have cheapened GPU to an unacceptable level? Are they underperforming GPU growth targets? Why haven't they decoupled f2p games from XBL? Is this a ploy to push players to adopt GPU even if all they play is Warzone/Fortnite and maybe an occasional AAA SP title?

What a mess. Leave it to beaver so they say.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I got charged for 1 new year two days ago and i was charged $60. Maybe because i have autorenewal.

Does my new year entitle me to some game pass benefit?

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
That's a good question.

Given that Sony is still charging for their first party titles and they continue to sell well, I bet they feel less pressure to raise prices on PS+. Any increase would hopefully come with some additional benefits and should be modest by comparison.
Every company will go after more money, if they think it's valuable and achievable. What I mean by that is nobody will increase the price of a services, if they expect many to cancel their subscription. This could potentially end up in a loss.

However Sony has shown in the recent past with the price increase for games that yes, they'll absolutely increase the price of something, even if they could've continued selling it at a lower price. Their games are extremely profitable as it is and there was no pressure at all. Neither Sony or Microsoft are consumers friends. They'll do whatever is necessary to get more profit.

I dislike the decision to increase the price, especially with Gold. The offered games with the exception of this upcoming month were really bad in the collection and while I actually do think XBL is the most modern and stable onlineservice, it doesn't warrant such a huge price spike. Poor decision imo.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Because people still don't get it. The current price of gold is $50 for 6 months. $100 for 12 months. Don't confuse the remaining retailer stock of the old 12-month cards because Microsoft stopped producing and selling those last year. That is not the actual current price of gold.

This is limited stock. They don't make these anymore.
Yea, I know...Since they announced it last year

tmac456

May 27, 2020
Having read a bunch of takes on this price increase, it seems some people are forgetting there is a large audience of Xbox gamers who only play the annual FIFA/CoD/Madden games or Fortnite and nothing else. They have no interest in GamePass, so they are now paying double to play their games online.

Yup, this is where I fall. Plus mix in some Halo multiplayer. Several of my friends are on xbox so that's where we play together. This price hike might just push us out of MS ecosystem since none of us have any interest in GP

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Serious question: how are PC games (that aren't MMOs) able to provide free online while the 3 console makers are charging for it even after purchasing their hardware?
PC is an open market, you have no real leverage as a platform holder to push through an online paywall, people will just go to another store.

Status
Not open for further replies.