Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Is the crackling sound from the headset or from the console? Because I've used numerous Xbox Series X and they all generate crackling or static sounds via the controller, direct out of my TV, and also via HDMI. I've turned networking completely off, changed TVs, took it to someone else's house (in case it was my electrical system causing static somehow), and tried every single audio output mode on the Series X and it never goes away. When I call support they pretend to not know about the problem, but their forums are full of people with the same thing. Also Reddit, AVSforum, gamefaqs etc etc. I have zero confidence in MS ever fixing it.

Ugh, the crackling I sometimes get coming wired out of my controller is part of the reason I've been wanting to try a wireless headset.

I've read that turning off your soundbar helps, but I still get it intermittently. I move my laptop and phone away too in case they cause interference, but I've never been able to definitely figure out the cause of it.

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018
I'm interested to see how this performs. I've tried the Arctis 7P (for PS5), Arctis 1, HyperX CloudX Flight, and RIG 800LX. Of those my RIG is by far the favorite, but it is 3 years old at this point (and discontinued I think?), so I'm sure I'll have to replace it at some point in the next few years. If this official headset is good that might be a nice option.

Particularly like how it handles the chat mixing directly on the headset, seems like many of the premium headsets don't do that any more.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Ugh, the crackling I sometimes get coming wired out of my controller is part of the reason I've been wanting to try a wireless headset.

I've read that turning off your soundbar helps, but I still get it intermittently. I move my laptop and phone away too in case they cause interference, but I've never been able to definitely figure out the cause of it.
I don't have a sound bar and it still happens. It's something to do with how they're allocating resources I think. I'd be fine with it if it only happened in the system UI, but it also occurs in some games too. It's annoying enough that I've started to buy multiplats on PS5 instead.

MeBecomingI

Oct 27, 2017
Pulse headset is a hunk o' junk. Shouldn't be hard to beat it, looks like this might be up to the task.

Funny, cause I feel the exact opposite. I've gone through so many headsets over the years and I found the Pulse to a pretty good headset. Super comfortable, easy controls, good mic quality (my brother says I come across super clear), solid battery life. Different strokes though, I guess.

This headset looks good, if a little chunky and boring looking but I really like the dial idea. My PC headset has a small dial on the side for volume that works nicely. I would be willing to move over to this headset for my PC for that wireless goodness, so I'll keep an eye on this one.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
I love that it's also BT for music. I could use these with my iPhone, unlike my Pulse 3D. I might get these at some point, alongside Series X.

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
When connecting to Xbox consoles they use the Xbox Wireless protocol and when connecting to other devices (unless you're using the xbox wireless dongle on PC) it's using bluetooth.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Is the "dongle part" built into Xbox? Because that would be awesome :)
It uses the same wireless tech as the controllers do.

Hopefully this works better for Microsoft as the SteelSeries 9x were plagued with connection issues that were completely solved when the 7x used the USB dongle instead of native Xbox wireless.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, looks sold out for now at Microsoft. Sucks the cart was broken for me.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Am I dumb or is there not any mention/indicator of at least a 3.5mm port on the headset?

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
suggests they may be using the same driver as the surface headphones

edit: wow they sold out? for a preorder?

Same driver size too. If they are, Surface Headphones had damned good audio quality even at over $200, so some with cheaper build quality and cutting out some of the adaptive noise cancellation features for less than half the price is super neat

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
For sure Sennheisers will likely sound (much) better like-for-like, but audio through the controllers (both on Xbox and PlayStation) is compressed to a lower quality than it is when used wirelessly via a USB dongle or direct to the console like these are. Also, the in-line mic on the Sennheiser is not as good for chat than an extendable mic.
The Xbox controller uses the same wireless connection as the new headset would thus no additional compression using the controller jack. I've also had zero complaints using the in-line mic from friends on my pair of open backs. Everyone would be better off getting the Sennheisers unless a cable from the controller to the headphones is a deal breaker.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I wish consoles would just support regular Bluetooth headsets.

I'm not interested in having several of them.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
The Xbox controller uses the same wireless connection as the new headset would thus no additional compression using the controller jack. I've also had zero complaints using the in-line mic from friends on my pair of open backs. Everyone would be better off getting the Sennheisers unless a cable from the controller to the headphones is a deal breaker.
The controller uses the same wireless connection but it has to prioritize the controller aspect over audio, so audio is in fact compressed further. Whether you can tell the difference is of course another matter but it is there (and PlayStation compressed even further I believe).

SirThou

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna wait a bit on this one, I had two of the official Xbox One Stereo headsets and they both broke pretty easily.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021

I had a lot of crackling and dropouts plugged into controller as well. Haven't had any with my Steelseries Arctis 7x (have used them on XSX, PS5, PC and Switch).

Have seen some say direct connect wireless to the XSX had some dropouts, like with the Arctis 9x. I didn't consider those as I wanted a headset with a dongle I could move between my devices and reviews said the connection with a dongle is better than using the Xbox internal wireless for some reason.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same driver size too. If they are, Surface Headphones had damned good audio quality even at over $200, so some with cheaper build quality and cutting out some of the adaptive noise cancellation features for less than half the price is super neat
Also no carrying case, I'm sure that was another cost cutting measure to bring down the price.

I found my Surface Headphones 2 to be a bargain even at $225. If these can sound that good, with native Xbox wireless support, AND a built in mic, these will be an absolute steal.

eek

Oct 26, 2017
I had a lot of crackling and dropouts plugged into controller as well. Haven't had any with my Steelseries Arctis 7x (have used them on XSX, PS5, PC and Switch).

Have seen some say direct connect wireless to the XSX had some dropouts, like with the Arctis 9x. I didn't consider those as I wanted a headset with a dongle I could move between my devices and reviews said the connection with a dongle is better than using the Xbox internal wireless for some reason.
Maybe if it's a problem w/ the xbox connection, MS will actually fix it now that they're selling a headset that connects directly 🙃