• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What did I say which was inaccurate? The PS3 was 3.2 GHz, so was the 360, and the Switch is 1.020 GHz

You do know that faster doesn't mean much considering your talking about CPUs manufactured in 2005ish to one that was made in 2014, right? Modern CPUs can handle tasks more efficiently with lesser speeds.

Yikes... i was okay with the mandatory install, because I thought "well, it probably is a huge game"... But this information changes this.
Inexcusable imo, since they really could've gone with a 16gb card, since the game is already 10 bucks more than on the other consoles.

Regarding the game itself, it is one of my favourite games of last gen. All the hate completely flew over my head last gen and also my favoutite open world game.
1940's LA is beautifully realized and yes, the story/writing isn't Shakespeare, but then we have huge fanbases of games of the likes of Mass Effect or Uncharted and I'm like what?
He's wrong, as it does ship on a 16 GB card. Hence, the $10 premium.

Well, at least the $10 premium on the physical version. I'm not sure why the digital version is the same price, since we already have precedent for digital versions of retail games being cheaper on the eShop.

cappers

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Good quality ps3/xb360 ports certainly look fantastic on Switch.

Hopefully this will continue, but new IP is of course the lifeblood of any new console.

I missed a tonne of games last gen, including this. I just wish we could get a price level around usd25 for last gen ports, but I respect the publishers need to make a living, and am at least glad we have a rapidly expanding list of games on switch!

I guess the touchscreen will be nice for some LA Noire sections.

SchuckyDucky

Avenger
Nov 5, 2017
Six and a half years, actually.

Looks like a solid port, but due to the physical version shipping on a flippin' 8 gig cart, I'll be waiting for a deep price cut.

I would have gotten this digitally, if the digital version's price matched the price on the other consoles. As it stands, I'll wait until I can get a sale on it. Too many other games to play right now.

Stuart

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Modern CPUs can handle tasks more efficiently with lesser speeds.
Certain, very specific tasks only. If I've written an algorithm which requires a certain amount of raw speed to process in a reasonable timeframe, the Switch CPU doesn't have some magical ability to make it faster than the CPU of the 360 or PS3. In raw speed, it is considerably worse than the early consoles.

LordOcidax

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Certain, very specific tasks only. If I've written an algorithm which requires a certain amount of raw speed to process in a reasonable timeframe, the Switch CPU doesn't have some magical ability to make it faster than the CPU of the 360 or PS3. In raw speed, it is considerably worse than the early consoles.
giphy.gif

Stuart

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That's not how CPUs work. The PS4 and Xbox1 have CPUs clocked under 2GHz as well. But the combination of more cores and higher efficiency makes them better.
I'm out. I don't think the users posting have the technical knowledge to debate this.

I honestly can't believe people are claiming the Switch CPU is more powerful than the Cell of the PS3. The Cell was a beast in computational terms.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
GTA V would struggle to run on the Switch due to the weak CPU. The demographic of Switch owners (children and adults who like Nintendo titles) isn't very similar to your typical GTA V audience. I doubt Rockstar would make a profit on such a port.
LiVkskK.jpg

Currently in US 83% of Switch owners are 19 years old or older.

The idea that a port of GTA V wouldn't make a profit after witnessing for years that GTA V keep be purchased on newer released consoles is laughable.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It must be amazing to you then how Rockstar got GTA V running at over double the resolution with a much improved framerate, foliage and DoF on a puny Jaguar CPU's that ran at 1.6GHz!!!

Last edited:

Stuart

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It must be amazing to you then how Rockstar got GTA V running at over double the resolution with much improved foliage and DoF on puny a Jaguar CPU's that ran at 1.6GHz!!!
That's because the memory and GPU are vastly superior on the Xbox One and PS4 compared to past consoles. The same is true of the Switch. However, I still maintain that the Switch's CPU is sufficiently weak to be a real bottleneck in a game like GTA V, which is computationally demanding (compared to other titles we've seen ported).

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I'm out. I don't think the users posting have the technical knowledge to debate this.

I honestly can't believe people are claiming the Switch CPU is more powerful than the Cell of the PS3. The Cell was a beast in computational terms.

The main cell processor unit in PS3 was better than what the Switch has on a per core basis but there was only 1 in the PS3. The SPE cores were worse per core than what was in the 360 or the Switch.

What the Switch has as far as CPU is concerned is as a whole better than what the 360 or PS3 had and the Switch has co processors to handle tasks that the PS3 and 360 had needed to handle on their main CPUs.

The difference isn't massive but it's a solid deal stronger even at the lower clocks. There is a reason why the PS4 and XB1 opted to use weaker cores at lower clocks and just stuff more into the systems.

Edit: Elfotografoalocado adds good further explaination.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Spain

So was my friends' 3GHZ dual core Pentium 4... In 2004 I think.
Cell was good in floating point performance, middle of the pack in general tasks. XBOX 360 was better for general processing, but both had terrible IPC even for the time in order to run such clocks. The dual core x64 CPUs of the time were better with les cores, running slower frequencies.
Switch has much, much better performance by clock cycle than both, more cores, more cache, many more co-processors, out of order processing...
The architecture is on such different league that it more than compensates for the difference in clocks.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not a general L.A. Noire thread though. Unless you think that downloading parts of the game from eshop will change the gameplay shown in the OP.

I said the port looks solid and then shared my disappointment that I'll have to pass for now and gave my reason why.

If this completely harmless commentary bothers you, use ResetEra's ignore feature on me. 'Cause I'm sure not going to stop making reasonable posts.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
That song is giving me some strong Godfather vibes. How similar is LA Noire to the Godfather series?
It's not.

The fact of the matter is, you stated the Switch cannot run GTAV. Which is ridiculous.

mauaus

Oct 25, 2017
This game looks so good, cant wait to jump back in, i remember loving it but getting distracted by something shinier lol

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Try not to speak in absolutes when it comes to technical specs of hardware. You can give an opinion, but don't present something as a fact without proper backup/sources.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK

GHz isn't a measurement of speed or even the amount of instructions, it's the clock frequency at which a processor operates. Processors differ in the work they can complete in a single cycle, and its even more complicated if work is offloaded to other parts of the machine. You can't compare Xenon to Cell like for like, and you can't compare those to the X1 / GM208 in the Switch without considering how the cores compare and what each is capable of per clock cycle. GPGPU programming on CUDA cores (offloading processing to the GPU), cacheing solutions, and loads of other variables effect output.

Machines made with the Tegra K1 could be faster than 360/PS3 (in particular cases), the X1 is even more capable than that. Go look at any of the slides from when nVidia unveiled the X1, and the previous K1.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Incorrect. Given there is no port, and people here are claiming it would make huge amounts of money, we can only conclude that either a) Rockstar don't like money or b) The port is not technically feasible.
A - Rockstar love money. Specifically from the Online portion of the game, which could be a reason they'd skip the Switch with this game.
B - People already have pointed out how completely stupid your argument is, so I won't pile on. (But it's incredibly stupid)

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Incorrect. Given there is no port, and people here are claiming it would make huge amounts of money, we can only conclude that either a) Rockstar don't like money or b) The port is not technically feasible.

The Switch has been out for 9 months. You can't seriously be arguing that since the port hasn't been announced it's impossible.