Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
I've had it since I was little, ear infections non-stop when I was a kid.

I can't be in silence, that would destroy me. But every day noises and sleeping with rain sounds or AC running has been totally fine. Forget I have it unless it's super quiet.

RoninZ

Oct 27, 2017
My mother has it on her left ear, and it's a fear that I may get it one day out of nowhere.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
Go to an ENT. Lot of reasons this could be happened.

Impacted wax caused tinnitus until it was removed for me
Fluid in the Eustachian tubes can cause tinnitus if it's unable to drain properly
If the clogged feeling doesn't resolve after earwax removal, you might have ETD like me. A basic steroid like Flonase usually takes care of it.

Don't panic and talk to your doctor. Get an actual hearing test. Tinnitus can be caused by tons of things.

Bwooduhs

Oct 25, 2017
Well shit, today I learned I probably have tinnitus. Only when I focus on it do i notice the constant ringing noise. Always just thought it was normal.

_Karooo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Use a syringe filled with warm water and clean your ear. Make sure your head is tilted so the water comes out lol

northnorth

Dec 4, 2017
I've had it for a while now. A few years. I think I'm just used to it. I blame Dr. Dre and Eminem in 1999/2000

OP
OP

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Welp, I woke up and still have it. So this is my reality now.

Go to an ENT. Lot of reasons this could be happened.

Impacted wax caused tinnitus until it was removed for me
Fluid in the Eustachian tubes can cause tinnitus if it's unable to drain properly
If the clogged feeling doesn't resolve after earwax removal, you might have ETD like me. A basic steroid like Flonase usually takes care of it.

Don't panic and talk to your doctor. Get an actual hearing test. Tinnitus can be caused by tons of things.

I did get a hearing test like 2 months ago saying I had perfect hearing. Guess I need to go again, but I won't get an appointment until next year probably. Thanks for the advice

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Lots of people saying you'll get use to it... I'm not sure it is the right message.

We need prevention. Right now, hearing damage is a epidemic and it's only going worse. Not only are young people destroying their hearing, but it can lead to tinnitus and hyperacusis, which are both even worse. There are no cures.

Concerts are insanely loud. Hell even movie theaters are. There is nothing "cool" about things being this loud, and not much is being done to protect young people or at least, warn them of the possible consequences.

PandaShake

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's how I got mine. Friend played extremely loud music in his car. Next day it was clogged followed by ringing. I went to see an ENT doctor, it didn't help. I could hear it over room conversations. After 3 months, it finally died down where I only notice it when I sleep at a level it doesn't bother me. Hope yours alleviate. Mine can get louder the more stress I am. When I get rest, it dies back down considerably.

I've heard of neck massages that could help. I've never tried.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, I woke up and still have it. So this is my reality now.

If it is temporary tinnitus brought on by a loud event, it's going to take time to fade away. I unexpectedly found myself at a loud event early July and the cicada sounds in my right ear have only recently faded away. I still have a ringtone in my left ear that is still slowly fading away. My only advice is to avoid loud noises for the next couple of months and wear hearing protection when using stuff like lawnmowers, etc.

JudgeN

Oct 25, 2017
I'd wait it out a couple of weeks before you panic. I had tinnitus for about 8 days randomly, ear felt full and had light ringing, went to doctor and it wasn't a sinus infection. Went away after about a week.

Stay positive, probably temporary

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
I have it in both ears, but worse in my left. If I don't have background noise, it's unavoidable. There's no "getting used to it" because it's shrieking in my ear inside my head.

Background noise is key.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I was so sure I'd gotten it in one of my ears after seeing The Darkness without earplugs. I was really distraught and basically felt like crying for a day.. thankfully it was just temporary for a couple days. Good luck, OP -- and condolences to the folks in this thread who were not as lucky to have it temporarily.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Me minding my business: "... ... ... ..."

Someone mentions tinnitus: "eeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

Fourth Storm

Oct 25, 2017
Go to the doctor immediately and get them to prescribe you Prednisone. If it's a recent injury, that may help.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of people saying you'll get use to it... I'm not sure it is the right message.

We need prevention. Right now, hearing damage is a epidemic and it's only going worse. Not only are young people destroying their hearing, but it can lead to tinnitus and hyperacusis, which are both even worse. There are no cures.

Concerts are insanely loud. Hell even movie theaters are. There is nothing "cool" about things being this loud, and not much is being done to protect young people or at least, warn them of the possible consequences.

You aren't wrong but if someone already has it, it's too late to talk to them about prevention.

Rhaya

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say I hear exactly this, but turn the volume down until it's just noticeable and this is close to what it should soundlike.

Dear lord
Just five seconds of that and i am already want to put a gun to my head.

How people cope with that without losing their goddamned mind is a mystery to me

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Dear lord
Just five seconds of that and i am already want to put a gun to my head.

How people cope with that without losing their goddamned mind is a mystery to me

I'm not even going to listen to it but I will say it's different for everyone. Even for an individual it'll vary with health, illness, stress, caffeine, etc. It'll even change over time. The brain has a way of filtering out the stuff you hear every day, smell every day, etc. It'll eat you up if you obsess over it though.

It does infuriate me when we have concert threads with people doing the "eh don't worry about it, I've been to 15 metal shows and I'm fine" shtick.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
I barely went to concerts or listened to loud music through my life, so far so good. But when I'm extremely tired/stressed or have a big headache, it's when I usually have those random noises, they can last from 10 seconds up to 1 minute, but thankfully they stop once I calm the fuck out or rest, then it dissapears completely. I wouldn't be able to get used to having that noise permanently I enjoy quiet places so much I don't know what I would do with that permanent ringing noise...

What I do have permanently though, are eye floaters. Full daylight landscapes or bright interiors are forever ruined to me because all I see is a bunch of random artifacts swimming through my vision. It's been more than 3 years since I noticed them I thought I was going blind, got very depressed once I knew they would never go away but after few months of effort, my brain learned to ignore them.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
What I do have permanently though, are eye floaters. Full daylight landscapes or bright interiors are forever ruined to me because all I see is a bunch of random artifacts swimming through my vision. It's been more than 3 years since I noticed them I thought I was going blind, got very depressed once I knew they would never go away but after few months of effort, my brain learned to ignore them.

This is my recent hell but the previous tinnitus (10+ years now) helped to prepare me.

They did a 3D map of my eye floaters on video, was crazy. The left eye is worse and has a large piece still partially attached to the retina but flapping around. The other side is more traditional. Doc said that when the big piece separates completely it will break up and snow globe to the bottom most of the time, so that'll be better. It's hell now though because as I stop moving my eyes around that stupid thing keeps flapping around. Unfortunately he said it'll likely take years to break loose and surgery would be too dangerous. I'm hopeful they'll have some effective treatments for this. Right now they can suck the fluid out and replace, but it's not widely accepted. Plus in my case they'd need to remove the chunk from the retina also.

Praise the tech world for dark mode!

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017

Ah these demons I have permanently.

The worst is when the sunlight hits me just right and my whole vision just goes into a glitter explosion. That's fun.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
3 days and it's permanent. Sorry, Ive been there. It was scary, but one thing that is true is that your brain really does learn to ignore it after a while.

This was definitely not the case for me. I first experienced it a few years back, and t lasted for several months at that point. Since then I go through periods where it'll be active for a few months or if I get a cold, then it'll go away again for several more months.

I probably have it active / noticeable about 25% of the time, but the vast majority of the time it isn't there at all.

ArtemisLunar

One Winged Slayer - Shinra Employee
The Fallen
Jun 13, 2018
Welp, here we go again, lol.
I'm still suffering from tinnitus and eye Floaters, yes, they suck hard, and yes, I'm anxious about them on this moment, but not all hope is lost, on this moment two devices are being tested to reduce the Tinnitus (Lenire and Signal Timming Machine from the Michigan University), both of them had very promising result on their test and they are aim to launch after 2020, it's not the cure at all, but this could be the key for those looking for a resl relief or reduction on the Tinnitus.
And that's not all, there's a investigation for treating eye floaters using gold nano particules, it's still very early on development, but looks very promising and more safe that FoV.
So yeah, you should take more care of your ear from this moment, but don't be hopeless, help it's actually coming

Jun 2, 2018
Northern Ireland
I have it in both ears. You just need to get used to it. I can usually filter it out if there is a lot of background noise. The best thing you could do, is try and tire yourself before going to bed. That's the only time that it is quite prominent for me.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
I feel your pain. Try not to freak out if it's permanent. Stress is a trigger that makes tinnitus way worse. You'll have good days and bad days. Eventually your brain learns to tune it out to the point where sometimes you'll wonder if it's still there on occasion. Good luck! We just gotta hope there are advancements in medical science in our lifetimes that allow them to heal tinnitus and hearing loss (without hearing aids).

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
This is my recent hell but the previous tinnitus (10+ years now) helped to prepare me.

They did a 3D map of my eye floaters on video, was crazy. The left eye is worse and has a large piece still partially attached to the retina but flapping around. The other side is more traditional. Doc said that when the big piece separates completely it will break up and snow globe to the bottom most of the time, so that'll be better. It's hell now though because as I stop moving my eyes around that stupid thing keeps flapping around. Unfortunately he said it'll likely take years to break loose and surgery would be too dangerous. I'm hopeful they'll have some effective treatments for this. Right now they can suck the fluid out and replace, but it's not widely accepted. Plus in my case they'd need to remove the chunk from the retina also.

Praise the tech world for dark mode!

Oh god I can imagine how crazy must been to watch your own insides of your eye. The surgery of replacing all the inside fluid is way too risky and simply not worthy, unless you have an infest of floaters you can't even see what's in front of you anymore, but other than that it's just a matter of getting used to them and hoping they don't get worse as we age. Eating healthy helps to that.
Ah these demons I have permanently.

The worst is when the sunlight hits me just right and my whole vision just goes into a glitter explosion. That's fun.

The worst remainder that they're there :( Yeah... I used to feel down everytime I noticed them but now I just don't mind them. But at the beginning it certainly was a pain. Painless torture as it is said. Tinnitus must be freaking similar. Let's take care of our senses y'all! Even if we already have issues, let's take care so they don't get worse! There's always a way.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
Ive had it forever both ears. Sucks but i only feel it when its quiet. Otherwise i never realize at all.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
The absolute slam dunk foolproof key to getting over something like eye floaters or tinnitus is to get older and have something worse happen. It works every time!

I can now read this thread and not even care.

Deleted member 12379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
worst club ever. look into a 'white noise machine' for at night as well if you don't want to run a fan year-round.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I don't have it constant but once in a while my hearing cuts out (not completely) and I get ringing in my left ear, it's probably from using headphones loud as a teen/concerts.

It used to freak me out, now I am used to it and it only lasts 10 seconds or so.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

They are loud, right? At most large-chain cinemas, I have to wear earplugs otherwise the sound is painfully loud. Some of the smaller theaters I go to, the sound system isn't brutal on my ears, that I can manage without a barrier. No one I know wears ear plugs to the movies though. Just me. Any of you all do it?

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
They are loud, right? At most large-chain cinemas, I have to wear earplugs otherwise the sound is painfully loud. Some of the smaller theaters I go to, the sound system isn't brutal on my ears, that I can manage without a barrier. No one I know wears ear plugs to the movies though. Just me. Any of you all do it?

Yeah I have custom plugs from the audiologist so I wear them at -15dB I think.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
I've always had problems with my left ear. Frequent ear infections, ringing occasionally and so on. Yesterday I was in a car with loud music, louder than I usually listen to. Today when I woke up my left ear felt kind of clogged? And since then I've been hearing a ringing noise all day, solely in my left ear.

How fucked am I Era? Pls tell me that when I go to bed and wake up the next morning everything will be good as new.
See your ent, he might be able to fix it w injections

Oct 26, 2017
Stress is a trigger that makes tinnitus way worse. You'll have good days and bad days. Eventually your brain learns to tune it out to the point where sometimes you'll wonder if it's still there on occasion. Good luck! We just gotta hope there are advancements in medical science in our lifetimes that allow them to heal tinnitus and hearing loss (without hearing aids).
For me, being stressed or too tired make it very noticeable. But some medicines, like antibiotics and antiinflammatories, make the week taking them a nightmare.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018

I wear them all the time at the theater, and I have some for the kids too. Even kid movies are too loud. Idiots.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Tinnitus is like the boogeyman to me because I know one day my airpods constantly being at max volume is going to come back and haunt me.

I mean you are saying this in a thread full of people that would desperately like the opportunity to not make that mistake. But you will still make it.

Mar 29, 2018
I listen to loud music fairly frequently. There have been times where I wake up and my hearing in my right ear is muffled with beeping/ringing, latest was a few days ago. but in my experience it was just an abundance of earwax. I usually put a few ear drops in, stop listening to music for a few days, clean out my ears and eventually my hearing gets better and there's no more ringing. Don't know if that's the same for you but trying going to a doctor first.
Stopping listening to anything will stave it off, but you're still doing damage every time you listen to loud music.

Just turn it down. Doing so feels awful at first, like you can't get "immersed" in the music, but after like 30 seconds you no longer notice it's quieter and you just enjoy it.

Tinnitus is like the boogeyman to me because I know one day my airpods constantly being at max volume is going to come back and haunt me.
You know you might go fully, permanently deaf in middle age because of this right?

Or develop hyperacuisis which basically feels like a vice is squeezing your temples HARD all day and night. One of my best friends developed it at 18 because he was listening to hardcore at full volume all night. Now he can barely go to concerts or hear anyone in a bar, and he's not even 30.

demon326

Nov 3, 2017
I have hyperacusis now.

Protect your ears. This is a must for live shows and bars.

hyperacusis is even worse than the ringing in my ear.. If dining plates collide or even worse, when forks and knifes collide.. It then feels like somebody is twisting a knife inside my ear.

@PogChamp

The very best thing you can do now is avoid loud envirements and use lowe volume and never use in-ear headphones. Another tip: Don't search anything about it, that will make it worse :)