• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Bledsoe was my dude. He was no Kordell Stewart of Bubby Brister but he had skills and heart, that cannot be denied.

That team really went to shit when they betrayed him.

Remember not to hoard your liquor Sanjuro. This is the darkness before the dawn, but the dawn is coming. With a national hangover that the we will never forget...
I'm very kind with my booze. I'm sharing booze and peanuts at the moment.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Saying it's indefinite is a mistake IMO. Uncertainty breeds fear and anxiety. People need hope that things will return to normal. Give a time frame, extend it if you have to but don't leave people in doubt about the future.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Saying it's indefinent is a mistake IMO. Uncertainty breeds fear and anxiety. People need hope that things will return to normal. Give a time frame, extend it if you have to but don't leave leave in doubt about the future.

I dunno, I prefer honesty. I think all these schools saying they are closing for two weeks when we all know they are going to have to extend that are asking for trouble down the road. Better to be straightforward than to make promises you can't keep.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I think this is a good idea. But it should be accompanied by some application for restaurant and bar owners to receive financial relief. Servers make sub-minimum wage. They make a living off of tips. Those tips are gone now. Many people are going to suffer with this change.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
I think this is a good idea. But it should be accompanied by some application for restaurant and bar owners to receive financial relief. Servers make sub-minimum wage. They make a living off of tips. Those tips are gone now. Many people are going to suffer with this change.
That's why I don't get some of the coldness here. These people are going to lose a ton.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
This is great to prevent the virus from spreading, but how is there no stimulus attatched for all the money these bars and restaurants are going to be losing. Most of these aren't multimillion dollar chains and I'm sure many are already on a "paycheck to paycheck" scenario.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
If KY doesn't follow suit, I could easily see Covington and surrounding areas near where I live becoming quickly overcrowded. My hope for Ohio folks is that anyone impacted can get compensated quickly. I do wonder about those earning tips...

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
I know it won't happen would be nice if this last a week. With this shutdown its going to hurt my sister. Thankfully her husband makes good money to get them through this.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Does that make it better?
I just don't think anybody is being particularly "cold" to the suffering of bars and restaurants. It's gonna fucking suck for those who can't make money...just like all of the rest of us. We've had threads about contributing to independent artists paypals, etc. WHich is fine if you have a surplus, but every single industry could use a thread like that. Most us will not be in a position to help because we're hurting ourselves.

Furiousone

Oct 29, 2017
Illinois announced it as well along with Ohio. I assume other states will start to follow suit shortly.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Im hoping for just dining rooms in Kentucky i can still work and cook under that for to go orders. If all restaurants close then im out of work. This escalated fast as fuck.

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
The economic inpact on this will be HUGE.
I can see quite a few restaurants closing as they wont be able to survive with no or minimal income while this crisis goes on.

Im in auto sales, and we are staying abkve water... but I know that business is slower. People are VERY reluctant right now to do business.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH

The state is opening up no interest loans for impacted small businesses iirc

Unemployment benefits are being extended w/o a wait period

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just don't think anybody is being particularly "cold" to the suffering of bars and restaurants. It's gonna fucking suck for those who can't make money...just like all of the rest of us. We've had threads about contributing to independent artists paypals, etc. WHich is fine if you have a surplus, but every single industry could use a thread like that. Most us will not be in a position to help because we're hurting ourselves.

Exactly.

Even before this my friends who were theater performers and musicians got fucked by the crowd regulations that were put into place.

It sucks for almost everyone. The only people that are truly secure right now are medical professionals and I don't know what good that does if everyone else isn't.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Why the hell it's not nation wide?

Really, Jesus, I thought Poland is slow and behind everyone else but now I'm seeing so many "more developed" countries taking an absolute piss with this. Close. Everything. Now.

Because we elected a reality tv show celebrity as President. It's up to states to take care of this themselves.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
It feels inevitable, and I expect the harder hit states like Washington, New York, Massachusetts, California and Colorado to follow suit soon.

Florida feels likely to hold out.

I find Florida holding out borderline stupid for their political party. State full of Republican retirees during election year.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Man wait staff are screwed. Most live tip to tip and their entire livelihood is gone. Wonder of demand will be high enough that they can all switch to delivery staff for their eatablisents though I'm guessing a lot don't have cars.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Saying it's indefinite is a mistake IMO. Uncertainty breeds fear and anxiety. People need hope that things will return to normal. Give a time frame, extend it if you have to but don't leave people in doubt about the future.
We're lying to ourselves with these short two to three week timetables, just to keep the public from immediately panicking. Is that really the best thing to do? You basically want to placate those who can't put 2 and 2 together themselves, until the time frame gets extended from a few weeks to a few months, then to indefinite.

It's time to start being real, not on some apocalypse stuff, but just on the fact that the social distancing is not going to end any time soon, and is going to extend to more social gatherings, including workplaces.

The media is already used to mislead and deceive the public, though the dissemination of faulty information. Why encourage that? Hope is a false construct when it comes to holding together society, it won't work.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
We're lying to ourselves with these short two to three week timetables, just to keep the public from immediately panicking. Is that really the best thing to do? You basically want to placate those who can't put 2 and 2 together themselves, until the time frame gets extended from a few weeks to a few months, then to indefinite

It's time to start being real, not on some apocalypse stuff, but just on the fact that the social distancing is not going to end any time soon, and is going to extend to more social gatherings, including workplaces.

The media is already used to mislead and deceive the public, why encourage that? Hope is a false construct when it comes to holding together society, it won't work.

Hope is the only thing keeping places like Italy together right now. Unless you think living in a dystopia is some kind of holiday?

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Hope is the only thing keeping places like Italy together right now. Unless you think living in a dystopia is some kind of holiday?
No, keeping the virus from sweeping through society, establishing well laid plans, will hold us together.

Lying to the public about this being a short term thing accomplishes nothing. When the time tables come and go again and again, what does that do to your hope? When the people realize they can't trust what they are being told? Civility will fall apart.

Better to be up front so people can steel themselves.

Jul 26, 2018
Dammm.. I currently work in a restaurant (Cali) and we are just so curious on if we going to shut down or not. We have a bar too yet it was pretty packed last night and this morning for brunch too.

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
This shit is making UBI's look like a not-so-ridiculous idea. If we could just coast the next six months we'd be fine but rent, utilities and food are going to bankrupt many families throughout this ordeal. What the hell are we doing to do?

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
This can go into the main Corona thread. We don't need a new thread for every single closing.

Status
Not open for further replies.