• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
There is a splitscreen of the verdict that had 2 schools one white and one black and it was exactly what you expected back then.

The OJ trial for a lot of people had little to do with OJ per se. He was a vessel that represented the people who in large part felt marginalized by the justice system. Just another black man taking the fall for the transgressions planted upon them. You can't get to how people at the time saw the OJ trail without going through Rodney King and the literal and very tangible corruption throughout the LAPD and police across the country. It should have been about the victims and their families but it was for many it became a snapshot position in America. There was a lot of "OH NOW THE JUSTICE SYSTEM IS BROKEN?" sentiment across the nation but I digress. A lot of those people who "celebrated" were people who grew up and lived through slavery's remix so....there was far more too it than just "The Juice is Loose"

This. There was some schadenfreude at watching white America's get their brains broken on how the justice system is trash on some 'First time here?'. While you will always have a fringe that truly believe he was innocent (and tbh I don't blame them, how many terrible run ins many of them had with the system to not trust it on such a level?) it was more a nihilistic celebration.

Even the media coverage at the time of 'Pan the camera to a poor neighborhood, look at those blacks celebrating' without any deeper dive. It was a shocking crime in Middle America because they were perfect angels in regards to skin color and class along with their mourning parents; you're dealing with a drug epidemic and historic crime highs where sadly outside of the intersection of celebrity race and class 'It was a Tuesday'(c) where cops wouldn't have bothered really investigating the crime to that level if it was your usual poor neighborhood shooting. Cops ignoring previous domestic abuse allegations? Two people murdered on a city street? This is America business as usual. Arrest easiest closet person to crime innocent or not, railroad, get overtime, go home to burbs.

Irony is OJ did his best to leave his blackness to the side and be 'post race' and suddenly his trial is synonymous with American racism.

Last edited:

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
I shouldn't be surprised by the internet anymore...just didn't expect to see someone pull the "But we weren't there, so how do we truly know" shit about OJ fucking Simpson of all people. Fucking hell...then posting a meme and calling the guy handsome. Fuck him, hope he suffered.
Guess some people are just fucked up, huh? That whole thing about the attractiveness of Ted Bundy was another example of some severely broken-ass people screaming as loud as they could about how broken they were. 'Sure, he killed a bunch of people, but I'd absolutely fuck his brains out' sure is a thing to say.

100% with you. His post was one of the stupidest things I've ever seen on this forum. I actually thought he was trolling.

OJ was a piece of shit and just like I'd feel about any murderer and wife abuser, I'm glad he's dead.

GK0

Aug 6, 2022
Hopefully the public toilet that is soon to be built in his name isnt to well hidden.

This. There was some schadenfreude at watching white America's get their brains broken on how the justice system is trash on some 'First time here?'. While you will always have a fringe that truly believe he was innocent (and tbh I don't blame them, how many terrible run ins many of them had with the system to not trust it on such a level?) it was more a nihilistic celebration.

Even the media coverage at the time of 'Pan the camera to a poor neighborhood, look at those blacks celebrating' without any deeper dive. It was a shocking crime in Middle America because they were perfect angels in regards to skin color and class along with their mourning parents; you're dealing with a drug epidemic and historic crime highs where sadly outside of the intersection of celebrity race and class 'It was a Tuesday'(c) where cops wouldn't have bothered really investigating the crime to that level if it was your usual poor neighborhood shooting. Cops ignoring previous domestic abuse allegations? Two people murdered on a city street? This is America business as usual. Arrest easiest closet person to crime innocent or not, railroad, get overtime, go home to burbs.

Irony is OJ did his best to leave his blackness to the side and be 'post race' and suddenly his trial is synonymous with American racism.
I was way too young in the 90's to comprehend what was going on ( I only vaguely remember my mom watching the trial with her friends). But if I were about a decade older at the time I imagine my reaction would've been "wow, you're just finding out things are fucked? welcome to our world." The sheer fact that the main takeaway from that verdict wasn't that the LAPD needed to be smashed to smithereens for fucking everything up speaks volumes.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So yesterday an Uber passenger asked me what I thought of OJ passing away.

I said "He was a real killer on and off the field"

He laughed his ass off.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
So yesterday an Uber passenger asked me what I thought of OJ passing away.

I said "He was a real killer on and off the field"

He laughed his ass off.
602.gif

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if people who weren't around at the time have a frame of reference for how famous and well-liked OJ was before the murders, and how that contributed to the sensationalism of the chase and subsequent trial.

I can't really think of an equivalent in the modern, atomized media landscape, but maybe something like, "imagine Tom Hanks or Shaq going on trial for double homicide."

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if people who weren't around at the time have a frame of reference for how famous and well-liked OJ was before the murders, and how that contributed to the sensationalism of the chase and subsequent trial. I can't really think of an equivalent in the modern, atomized media landscape, but maybe something like, "imagine Tom Hanks or Shaq going on trial for double homicide."
You think Tom Hanks and Shaq are "modern" ?

twinturbo2

Oct 27, 2017
Jupiter, FL
In news that should surprise nobody, the executor of OJ's estate is going to fight any payout for the Brown and Goldman families, and he outright says he hopes they get nothing.
www.espn.com

O.J. Simpson's estate to fight $33.5M suit payout

The executor of O.J. Simpson's estate will work to prevent a payout of a $33.5 million judgment stemming from the wrongful death lawsuit filed by the families of Simpson's ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman nearly 30 years ago.

RUFF BEEST

Jun 10, 2022
Toronto, ON
In terms of where they are in their careers relative to where OJ was in his in 1994? Absolutely. Height of fame behind them, but still almost universally recognized.
Yeah it was wild... One of those athletes I knew even though I didn't follow sports. Big role in The Naked Gun movies, which I loved, on commercials all the time (I still remember that Hertz commercial where he did all these football moves in the airport), widely beloved ex-athlete who was having success getting into the entertainment industry. Decades of fame built up before the murders and trial went down. Not many people fit that profile. LeBron and Michael did Space Jam? Charles Barkley got a hosting gig? Steph Curry does ...random things? Shaq is a good approximation.

One of those guys. Imagine watching their near-suicide and run from the law via helicopter footage, hearing what they're accused of, a year of legal proceedings that were nationally televised and dealt with absolutely heinous, bloody, vicious murders, being at the center of a bitter conversation about race and justice, followed by a total heel turn where he went from a beloved mainstream figure to being a guy publishing coy confessional books accounting for how he stabbed someone to death, getting arrested for robbery, lying to journalists' faces about searching for the "real killer" and never paying a wrongful death settlement while living a life of leisure off a football pension and going out golfing every day.

You couldn't possibly write a character arc so insane.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
In news that should surprise nobody, the executor of OJ's estate is going to fight any payout for the Brown and Goldman families, and he outright says he hopes they get nothing.
www.espn.com

O.J. Simpson's estate to fight $33.5M suit payout

The executor of O.J. Simpson's estate will work to prevent a payout of a $33.5 million judgment stemming from the wrongful death lawsuit filed by the families of Simpson's ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman nearly 30 years ago.
That's not what it says. The executor specifically wants the Goldman family to get nothing. He doesn't mention the Brown family in that instance.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Yeah the reason black people cheered as many said as they saw it as white Americans finally getting to see how things are for them, especially with the LAPD and their known racism in using slurs, framing black people, letting people who brutalize/kill black people off the hook, etc.

The thing which is grating is people keep using it to shame black Americans when again white americans have a longer history of doing the exact same thing. It's sad as after the verdict we saw the rejection of affirmative action in california, and white americans being less sympathetic to civil rights, which showed they took the wrong lesson and made it about themselves.

winjet81

Oct 27, 2017
That's not what it says. The executor specifically wants the Goldman family to get nothing. He doesn't mention the Brown family in that instance.

Not sure how an executor can make a call where money goes or not - with his huge bill outstanding, I would guess from a legal perspective that any money the estate has will go first to the Goldman and Browns.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
I went back this weekend and watched OJ: Made in America, which to me is the best 30 for 30 ever and arguably one of the greatest documentaries ever made, and I still to this cannot believe the LAPD, Marcia Clark, and Chris Darden got the easiest slam dunk case of all time handed to them on a silver platter and still all somehow found a way to fumble it away and fuck it up....

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Posts in this thread about how and why black and white Americans reacted to the verdict in different ways aren't wrong, but I do feel like that analysis can often make it seem like the jury went out of their way to find OJ not guilty just to get revenge for Rodney King. When the truth is, the prosecution completely fucked that case. Putting a cop on the stand with a history of documented racism and planting evidence + the glove stunt all injected huge amounts of reasonable doubt into what was previously a double homicide with a very obvious culprit. It's their own fault, they made it impossible for the jury to reach no other conclusion.

ConfusingJazz

Not the Ron Paul Texas Fan.
Oct 26, 2017
China
I went back this weekend and watched OJ: Made in America, which to me is the best 30 for 30 ever and arguably one of the greatest documentaries ever made, and I still to this cannot believe the LAPD, Marcia Clark, and Chris Darden got the easiest slam dunk case of all time handed to them on a silver platter and still all somehow found a way to fumble it away and fuck it up....

Never brought in a domestic violence expert, then got fucked over by Mark Furman being a racist. While watching the doc, you can really see how the white LAPD officers had no idea how they fucked this up 30 years later.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Never brought in a domestic violence expert, then got fucked over by Mark Furman being a racist. While watching the doc, you can really see how the white LAPD officers had no idea how they fucked this up 30 years later.

Basically no one was willing to admit their mistakes, all the cops were completely unrepentant. Fuhrman used some of his interview time to advocate for police using the choke hold.

ConfusingJazz

Not the Ron Paul Texas Fan.
Oct 26, 2017
China
Basically no one was willing to admit their mistakes, all the cops were completely unrepentant. Fuhrman used some of his interview time to advocate for police using the choke hold.

The SWAT guy in charge of bringing OJ in at his house was calling all the protestors idiots. The lead detective had no idea why race was being brought into the courtroom. Marcia Clark was bewildered, BEWILDERED!, that the jury would believe that the LAPD would plant evidence.

Motherfuckers, you were 2 years away from the Rodney King Riots, why the hell do you think anyone is bringing race into this? It ain't that hard to comprehend.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
The SWAT guy in charge of bringing OJ in at his house was calling all the protestors idiots. The lead detective had no idea why race was being brought into the courtroom. Marcia Clark was bewildered, BEWILDERED!, that the jury would believe that the LAPD would plant evidence.

Motherfuckers, you were 2 years away from the Rodney King Riots, why the hell do you think anyone is bringing race into this? It ain't that hard to comprehend.

Bill Hodgman was one of the worst...he just could not believe the defense team would introduce race to this case and some of the things he said, esp. on the documentary, bordered on diet ass racism himself...

The prosecution team are all time choke artists...did just about everything wrong and they all think they did just about everything right.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
the DA also played politics with the jury selection and bringing on Chris Darden so its funny to hear them lament the race card stuff. They were simply incompetent and thought they had an open and shut case because for years they've been able to game the system in their favor.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah the reason black people cheered as many said as they saw it as white Americans finally getting to see how things are for them, especially with the LAPD and their known racism in using slurs, framing black people, letting people who brutalize/kill black people off the hook, etc.

The thing which is grating is people keep using it to shame black Americans when again white americans have a longer history of doing the exact same thing. It's sad as after the verdict we saw the rejection of affirmative action in california, and white americans being less sympathetic to civil rights, which showed they took the wrong lesson and made it about themselves.
Mark Furhman, the lead detective on the OJ case pled the fifth when asked if "he planted evidence". He was also outed as a racist.

I think folks are missing the ramification of this.

I think OJ did it, but there's a lot of ahistorical analysis here.

This was bigger than the glove doesn't fit nonsense.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Mark Furhman, the lead detective on the OJ case pled the fifth when asked if "he planted evidence". He was also outed as a racist.

It's funny how people say Furhmam "changed" because he checked himself in for rehabilitation and had black partners later but the dude works for Fox News as forensic and crime expert

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Posts in this thread about how and why black and white Americans reacted to the verdict in different ways aren't wrong, but I do feel like that analysis can often make it seem like the jury went out of their way to find OJ not guilty just to get revenge for Rodney King. When the truth is, the prosecution completely fucked that case. Putting a cop on the stand with a history of documented racism and planting evidence + the glove stunt all injected huge amounts of reasonable doubt into what was previously a double homicide with a very obvious culprit. It's their own fault, they made it impossible for the jury to reach no other conclusion.

I remember taking a legal class in college and the teacher was talking about the case and how poorly it was run. He made it clear that he thought, guilty or no, the Jury made the absolute right decision based on what was presented to them.

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017

Furhman was not the lead detective, Tom Lange was

Blader

Oct 27, 2017

Who is missing the ramifications of that? I don't think there's a single person aware of the OJ trial who is unaware of the impact Mark Furhman had on the outcome lol

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I'm not going to lie, every time I see this thread bumped I keep thinking he's back

www.resetera.com

Dead star comes back to life in 'never seen before' event News

(Artist's impression of a magnetar with magnetic field and powerful jets. CSIRO) Scientists have been surprised by a dead star which appears to have sprung back to life. (Artist's impression of a magnetar. Credit: Carl Knox, OzGrav/Swinburne University of Technology Carl Knox)...