• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Source: http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/salesdata.html
(Use wayback machine)

Series sales (rounded down to two significant figures)
As of:
September 30, 2017
Okami: 1.6M
December 31, 2017
Okami: 2.0M
March 31, 2018
Okami: 2.1M
June 30, 2018
Okami: 2.2M
September 30, 2018
Okami: 2.4M

Okami HD released released on PS4, Xbox One and Steam in December 2017. On August 2018 it was then brought to Switch.

Okami series sales have risen by 800k since Okami HD released so it's very likely the majority of sales came from Okami HD.

Tamazoid

Oct 28, 2017
Do we have the complete breakdown and know
a) how much it sold on the PS3,PS2 and Wii and
b) how many copies did Okamiden shift? I assume that is counted in the total since it says "Okami series".
Would be fascinating to know.

Eblo

Oct 25, 2017
Wayback machine doesn't go far back enough to consider Okami HD's launch on PS3 in 2012. Do we know how much it sold there compared to the other versions?

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
I really should get HD on Steam and play through more of the game sometime, but it's hard to find time to play everything I'd want to.

Still have the original for PS2 somewhere, but it'd be too much of a pain to get that out and working. I just know I never finished the thing. That intro sequence was painful though as far as I remember. Unskippable text/cutscene that goes on for ages.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Considering how terrible the initial sales of Okami were, it's impressive that over the years it's been released on 7 different platforms. There are many far more successful games that have never received as much support as Okami has. I wonder why?

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
Considering how terrible the initial sales of Okami were, it's impressive that over the years it's been released on 7 different platforms. There are many far more successful games that have never received as much support as Okami has. I wonder why?

Critical acclaim/cult classic in spite of sales figures probably.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
Now can we please get an Okami 2

A proper Okami 2, not Okamiden

I think it would suffer the Valkyria Chronicles effect.

I.e. people like buying games for really cheap, but that doesn't mean they'll buy the sequel at full price like what happened to Valkyria Chronicles 1 on Steam going to Valkyria Chronicles 4 on all consoles and Steam.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Just the PS4/XB1/PC version, not including the PS3 one? That's pretty good. To be honest I probably would have double-dipped if it hadn't re-used the same Trophies as the PS3 version.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
But okamiden was a good game. I don't get why people hate on it.

I don't hate it, but it would be nice to have a bigger game on more powerful hardware.

I think it would suffer the Valkyria Chronicles effect.

I.e. people like buying games for really cheap, but that doesn't mean they'll buy the sequel at full price like what happened to Valkyria Chronicles 1 on Steam going to Valkyria Chronicles 4 on all consoles and Steam.
Given the game is selling at $20, and the budget for a sequel would be exponentially higher, the answer is most likely no.

:(

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It appears in the us eshop alot and I own it myself(second copy) so I can believe it

Oct 27, 2017
I imported the Switch physical, beautiful artwork. I need to boot it up at some point. It's a beautiful game, a sequel would be nice, not sure if they'd do it without Kamiya.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
May soon? Your source says it is. So when Okami first came out it didn't do a million in that year did it?

Okami has never had a million seller or else it would have appeared on the million seller's list.
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/million.html

What I listed was the series sales, not a single title. Okami had hundreds of ports and being made HD twice (the other time on PS3) and a sequel on Nintendo DS.

None of them are million sellers.

Last edited:

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It definitely sounds like it has proven that it's worth making a sequel for. Even a budget release could work for a game like this.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I don't want to be a negative Nelly, but I regret re-buying this game for the third (fourth?) time. A lot of that's on me, because I always assume I was being too particuar about it, playing previous times. It's one of the few times I think I've decided a game legitimately is overrated. There's some beautiful aspects, but it fails in some oddly basic ways, not the least of which is pacing. I'm still happy it's been an evergreen success for Capcom, and I'd bet a lot of first-time players got a lot out of it.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I hope Capcom combines both the PS4/X1/PC and Switch versions in order to see Okami HD in the platinum list

Capcom combining MHW PC with PS4/X1 MHW is a good sign for that

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Was it worth it to release it so many times on so many platforms just to get 1 mil. I guess if it was cheap enough to do -shrug-

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017

It scales to higher resolutions really nicely, it always reviews well, it's a long game that offers "value for money" and it doesn't have any major licensing issues.

There's a lingering perception that Okami just needs to be reintroduced at the right time in order to live up to its sales potential and while it still hasn't happened, it continues to sell just well enough for people to keep on trying.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Because it's a horrendously bad game that did everything wrong? The game designers literally didn't understand what made the original so good and just made a trashy, shitty, "successor".

That's a big exaggeration. Okamiden was alright.

I'm very glad for the success of Okami HD. One of my favs.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
Okami on Wii sold 280,000 units through June 30, 2008.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/data/pdf/fy2009_1st_quarter_a.pdf

So, how does that affect calculations?

Could you elaborate?

Of course if you combined every SKU of Okami then it is a million seller, but Capcom didn't do that, hence the lack of Okami on the million seller's page. They didn't even combine the SKUs of Resident Evil 4 on PS2 and GameCube on their million seller's page.

Meanwhile, they seem to be implying that they are going to combine the Switch SKU of Okami HD with the PS4, Xbox One and Steam SKUs in the recent Q&A for the second quarter:

Q:
Specifically, which catalog titles grew in the second quarter?

A:
In addition to MHW, specific titles include Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate, Resident Evil 7 biohazard and Okami HD.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
But okamiden was a good game. I don't get why people hate on it.

It is, but at the same time I would really like to see it remade properly for a not-DS console. What they managed to squeeze out of the DS was incredible, but it could be so much better with work (like not having to have big hub areas like the field sectioned by loading screens).

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly did not buy this because Reset wasn't in the game. That song just feels so important to me when it comes to experiencing the ending. Like, when I played the PS2 version, when Reset started playing, it was the first time I truly cried to a video game after the rollercoaster of emotions right before it.

Am I petty?

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Bought this game on PSN and I've no idea what's about but saw everyone saying good stuff and pulled the wallet lol

Will start after Rdr2.

Byvar

Oct 26, 2017
Well deserved. I'm actually replaying it right now, in the final act and even after that long story, I still don't want it to end. And I already 100%ed Okami on PS2. I hope Capcom and Platinum decide to continue their Okami 2 project despite previous troubles.

On a semi-related note, Platinum's very similarly-styled mobile game World of Demons, which was supposed to release this summer and was already soft-released in some territories, has completely disappeared since around June. The site has been removed and the app is gone from the stores where it had been released. It seems very weird to me that a game supposedly in development for over 3 years and that looks so good would just be cancelled after its soft release. If Platinum gets the chance to work on Okami 2 again, perhaps some of this work will be repurposed for that game?

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it also helps that it's a great remaster and every single version runs and looks flawless.

Bought this game on PSN and I've no idea what's about but saw everyone saying good stuff and pulled the wallet lol

Will start after Rdr2.
if the beginning of the game feels slow to you, stick with it for 4 or 5 hours. after that it gets going and you'll be unable to stop.

On a semi-related note, Platinum's very similarly-styled mobile game World of Demons, which was supposed to release this summer and was already soft-released in some territories, has completely disappeared since around June. The site has been removed and the app is gone from the stores where it had been released. It seems very weird to me that a game supposedly in development for over 3 years and that looks so good would just be cancelled after its soft release. If Platinum gets the chance to work on Okami 2 again, perhaps some of this work will be repurposed for that game?
maybe the soft launch was very unsuccessful and they saw no point in continuing development or launching in other markets. the game looked really good tho.

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Well deserved. I'm actually replaying it right now, in the final act and even after that long story, I still don't want it to end. And I already 100%ed Okami on PS2. I hope Capcom and Platinum decide to continue their Okami 2 project despite previous troubles.

Conspiracy theory time but maybe they got issued a takedown by Capcom? Looks like it's using at least some of the same code as Okami and technically Capcom could own it, since Platinum is not Clover.

Why else would you actively pull a download instead of trying to make some sales.

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's one of the best games of all time, it needs no other reason.

Serious answer : It is a beautiful game that enhanced graphics can improve even further upon, really maximizing it's remaster value. It is also an artsy game in a time where they have become more mainstream.

Oct 28, 2017
I bought the PS2 version when it first came out because the demo made it seem really interesting.

The demo didn't advertise a 17 minute long unskippable intro or absolutely horrible pacing.