• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Interested to see how this goes. I know it's capped at 30fps, but we've seen a bunch of games get modded to support higher framerates. Maybe that'll be feasible here.

I'd be interested to hear if mouse is supported, and how well implemented it is, so if anyone buys it, please share thoughts on that.

OP
OP
hlhbk

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
Interested to see how this goes. I know it's capped at 30fps, but we've seen a bunch of games get modded to support higher framerates. Maybe that'll be feasible here.

I'd be interested to hear if mouse is supported, and how well implemented it is, so if anyone buys it, please share thoughts on that.

I was unaware it was capped at 30 fps. Ugh. Bad sign already.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

Wbacon confirmed mouse support and native one at that for the brush.
Steam controller support too.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
You don't really need to open a performance thread when you are not even putting essential data into the OP.

Lime

Banned for use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone received their GMG keys yet?

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
169s98.png

Yorxor

Oct 27, 2017
Munich, Germany
A PC performance thread for a locked 30 fps game? The hell? Will it drop to 18 fps in certain situations? Can the newest Titan card handle the onslaught? Lots of burning questions!

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
A PC performance thread for a locked 30 fps game? The hell? Will it drop to 18 fps in certain situations? Can the newest Titan card handle the onslaught? Lots of burning questions!

fixed my statement

it's a PS2 game than ran with 4x MSAA, I think it should be fine

Last edited:

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Does the game support arbitrary resolutions?

Then I guess you could benchmark which GPUs manage to hold 30 FPS at 8k :P

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
So when they say this game is 30 fps locked, they mean your monitor is actually going to update 30 times a second, right? Your mouse doesn't move any faster?

I feel like controlling a cursor with a mouse at 30 fps will feel super sucky.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
I bought the game, but my 360 controller isn't picked up by the game. Known launch issues:

Issues:

-Game won't pick up my 360 controller. Verified it's working in other games.
-Game loses exclusive fullscreen when you alt tab out. It switches to windowed 1600x900 and does not change back when you alt tab back. You have to manually change the settings to undo this.
-Nvidia DSR not working with the game. I can't select 3840x2160. Maximum resolution option is 1920x1080 which is my monitor's native resolution. The game is 30fps, the least we should be able to do is supersample the heck out of the game.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, can't downsample either. Hopefully a workaround.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Ignore me, it does support 1440p, just turn off DPI scaling in compatibility settings in the exe properties

Oct 31, 2017

I was unaware it was capped at 30 fps. Ugh. Bad sign already.
30 fps for a game like this is necessary, the game logic is tied to framerate and going 60fps(even with a fan mod) is going to break game mechanics. With a lot of effort and trial and error the devs could technically program the 60fps into the game (like square did with Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5 hd remix) but the budget probably didn't allow it.
1ZqwrL5.jpg

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Also this game is fairly CPU heavy considering it's running at 30fps. It's averaging 35% to 45% cpu usage on my 5820k at 4.5ghz.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
DSR is a bad way to downsample anyway. Use CRU and custom resolutions in NVCP

This can be a problem if you're using HDMI. My screen won't accept a 4K signal unless I mess with the sync timing, and while this works it feels super hacky. Display sometimes goes black for a few seconds, garbage on the left edge of the screen, etc.

DSR is much better.

Edit: Y'know, what I would really like to see is a comparison between the PC version and the Wii version running at a comparable resolution in Dolphin.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
This can be a problem if you're using HDMI. My screen won't accept a 4K signal unless I mess with the sync timing, and while this works it feels super hacky. Display sometimes goes black for a few seconds, garbage on the left edge of the screen, etc.

DSR is much better.

Edit: Y'know, what I would really like to see is a comparison between the PC version and the Wii version running at a comparable resolution in Dolphin.

You aren't sending a 4K signal with this. When set up properly it is standard OGSSAA. It is far better and you can also overcook your refresh at the same time.

Oct 31, 2017
I read in another thread that on ps4 the touchpad works for painting, but does it work on pc if you use a ps4 controller?

Oct 25, 2017
Running it on a laptop here. i7-6820HQ and a Quadro M1000m which is like a 950m AT BEST. 1080p on high is a mess, but putting it on low makes the game run perfectly 99% of the time. I'm happy with the performance considering how outdated my hardware is. Also I'm pretty sure High is only 8XMSAA on top of the game or something like that. There's no discernible difference other than the lack of jaggies.

cnrm

Oct 25, 2017
I read in another thread that on ps4 the touchpad works for painting, but does it work on pc if you use a ps4 controller?
I'm using a DualShock 4 on the PC version right now and I had no idea this was a thing—tried it out after reading this and it works, that's awesome. The touchpad can also be used for camera movement. (The PC version will display DS4 button prompts when you're using one natively in case there was any doubt.)

Edit: here's a screenshot from the PC version to reaffirm the parenthetical.

20171212151154_155slb.jpg

Touchpad right and touchpad left are the new "start" and "select" buttons respectively, but the Options and Share buttons still seem to function the same way regardless on PC. Weird that the PS4 version doesn't use the Options button for pausing at the very least, but maybe they went with touchpad-only for consistency. Actually maybe the PS4 version lets you use the Options button for pausing too in hindsight, I wouldn't know, hah.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
I'm using a DualShock 4 on the PC version right now and I had no idea this was a thing—tried it out after reading this and it works, that's awesome. The touchpad can also be used for camera movement. (The PC version will display DS4 button prompts when you're using one natively in case there was any doubt.)
Neat!

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Controller support is weird. I use a wired XB1 pad WITHOUT Steam's controller integration, but when I launched Okami from my desktop, it automatically started with the Big Picture Mode overlay and my controller wasn't working. I had to enable Xbox support in Big Picture Mode before the controller started working.

Besides that, it seems like a good port, if barebones. There doesn't seem to be a way to quit the application from inside the game.

Here's hoping some crazy modders can enable proper 60 FPS support in the future. I suspect it'll be tough after that comment from Capcom.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Uh, yeah, it's what you would expect aside from the 30 FPS lock. It runs fine, has proper resolution support, never dips from 30 FPS (obviously)

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I really wish they would have improved the draw distance for certain objects. It's ridiculously short.

edit: It apparently doesn't like alt-tabbing in fullscreen. When I tried to get back, it switched to windowed mode and I had to quit to the title to correct it. I suppose I'll use borderless instead.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
I never got to play Okami, I look forward to picking this up in the near future. So PC performance is good overall? Not seeing much in the way of issues posted other than locked 30fps.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Do we know if this has ultrawide support yet?
Is it possible to unlock the framerate even at the expense of the game speeding up? Many games with locked framerates are still better handled by V-Sync or RTSS than their own internal framerate limiter.
Considering that it's a very long and slow game, some people may prefer to speed things up a bit by running at say 40 FPS rather than 30.
DSR is a bad way to downsample anyway. Use CRU and custom resolutions in NVCP
You have this backwards. DSR is a high quality downsampling solution with a 13-tap Gaussian filter. (unless you disable Smoothness - which you should not do)
Custom resolution downsampling uses bilinear scaling.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017

Edit: here's a screenshot from the PC version to reaffirm the parenthetical.

20171212151154_155slb.jpg

Touchpad right and touchpad left are the new "start" and "select" buttons respectively, but the Options and Share buttons still seem to function the same way regardless on PC. Weird that the PS4 version doesn't use the Options button for pausing at the very least, but maybe they went with touchpad-only for consistency. Actually maybe the PS4 version lets you use the Options button for pausing too in hindsight, I wouldn't know, hah.
Do you have the new DS4, the one where you can see the lightbar through the touchpad? Some games on PC are coded to detect the old DS4, but not the new one, I found.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
You have this backwards. DSR is a high quality downsampling solution with a 13-tap Gaussian filter. (unless you disable Smoothness - which you should not do)
Custom resolution downsampling uses bilinear scaling.

I don't have anything backwards. DSR doesn't tell the games that one of the resolutions is a native resolution of the monitor, so it doesn't work in everything (Okami for example). DSR also isn't as customisable. For example, if you have a 1070 you can go a bit higher than 1440p in some titles and hit the point where you're massively limited by pushing out too many pixels.