Would you buy a $499 next-gen system at launch?

• Yes, price is irrelevant

Votes: 664 18.2%
  • Yes, if the tech justifies it

Votes: 1,328 36.5%
  • Yes, if the games justify it

Votes: 1,161 31.9%
  • No, $499 is too high, I will wait for a price cut

Votes: 795 21.8%
  • No, and it has nothing to do with price, I just don't want to buy a console at launch

Votes: 431 11.8%
  • No, I am not yet sold on a next generation console

Votes: 382 10.5%

• Total voters

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I've got a lot of use out of my PS4 and I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. I've got a lot of faith in the PS5 now. 500 is a lot, but if there's some pretty good games around launch -not necessarily must have system sellers but pretty good- I pick it up while my PS4 is still worth something for trade-in.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
It would have to launch with a hell of a games lineup or a high degree of versatility like the Switch.

Mar 11, 2019
Yes, even very much hoping for a 500$ price tag since that will give a better chance of having a bigger leap compared to current gen games. If there are no major improvements which I expect at lower price points the reason for next gen diminishes imo.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I haven't bought a console at launch for years now.

Usually the problems of first round machines and a sparse library put me off.

It's a bit weird this time as new games fir previous gen will work so library is less of an issue. Any price over £400 is a probelm though.
Yeah early adopters usually have to deal with a sparce library and hardware issues, getting one later has been my plan for the last few gens and have been able to get a lot of games super cheap because of it. When I got my PS4 and my XB1 I got 5-7 games for each and not a single one I wanted was more than $20, definitely shooting for that again next gen.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Yep. Mainly because I'll be trading in my current console(s) to bring down the price. Plus BC means I'll always have something to play during those game release lulls.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I don't see the point of getting next gen box in the first year. I would rather spend that cash on video card upgrade for my PC.

There won't be enough games out to justify it. Plus I have Xbone X and PS4 Pro and vast majority of games will be cross-gen year one.

Oct 26, 2017
Technically yes but only because I'm gonna trade in my PS and XB for the PS5. It should make the possibly higher price point easier to swallow. That and there will be some PS4 games I can play on it to make up for the likely lackluster next gen only library early on

That being said, I'm doubtful I'll get it launch. They're not exactly exciting to me in anyway and I'm only getting for the small handful of games I want that I can't get on the Switch

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Yeah early adopters usually have to deal with a sparce library and hardware issues, getting one later has been my plan for the last few gens and have been able to get a lot of games super cheap because of it. When I got my PS4 and my XB1 I got 5-7 games for each and not a single one I wanted was more than $20, definitely shooting for that again next gen.

I waited a year to buy a ps4. I should have waited at least 2

Apr 8, 2018
Yeah. I'll be trading in my PS4 Pro/XB1X towards the next consoles anyways, so that should make the price(s) a bit more reasonable if it won't be already.

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. Too expensive. This plastic shit can't hold a $500 value for very long so I would be better off waiting for the nearest holiday.

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
I always wait 1-2 years to jump into new generations simply because that's usually how long it takes until the first games I am interested in get released.

It's less about money and more about interesting games for me.

That being said 500$ is ok as far as I am concerned ... if there are games I want to play that is.

Wet Jimmy

Nov 11, 2017
So my last console purchase (at launch) was the Xbox One X, and previous to that, a PS4 Pro.

The X launched November 2017, and presumably the next iteration (Scarlett?) will launch November 2020. So when thinking about value, that's three years to spread the expense.

So at $499 dollars, that's "only" $13 a month - which for the amount of time I spend / the enjoyment I receive from gaming, I can happily and easily justify.

If it meant getting better technology, I'm comfortable saying I'd pay up to $599 for a new generation console without question.

That's still HALF the price of a top-end PC GPU, and I'd rather have great than cheap when it comes to a device I'm going to spend a LOT of time with.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
If I can buy a PS5 with one or two decent launch titles and be able to go back and play FF7:R, Last of Us Part 2, Death Stranding etc with better graphics and framerates then I would jump on board. 499 would be my limit though.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to get it day-one regardless. I'd go up to $600 if I had to, but I just don't see that happening. The tech sounds impressive, so maybe they'll end up going back to the hardware being a loss leader for the software.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
It completely, 100% depends on what games launch with it.

If PS5 launches with an exclusive God of War II or part of FFVIIR I'll have to jump in

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Why not? There's been plenty of great games by this point
I was onboard up until the ps2 days.
Then I just didn't appreciate the games as much. Ps1 to ps2 was already a bit different, but still ok.
I went a bit more into handhelds and got back some of the excitement.

Now I play a mix of whatever on the Switch and not only it's fast and convenient but also doesn't seem like it's gonna stop anytime soon.
But it still feels like the beginning of "that gen" to me.

I'm not the tech guy. HD+decent/stable framerate = more than enough to me. Anything more is icing at best.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
Purchase depends entirely on when an exclusive game (that I want to play) is available on it. That said, $499 is probably the max amount I'd want to pay for a console considering that money would most likely be better spent on my pc.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It would need a really good game or a few good ones for me to spend 500$

You should also do a poll to see if people would buy 70$ games too, because that's possible with these consoles

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
yeah... i swore i wouldn't after last time but if theres a killer lineup i won't be able to resist

Deleted member 11626

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Having a PC of reasonable beef prevents the desire to upgrade right away, so I think I'll hold out until $250 becomes a reasonable price for the next PlayStation. Otherwise I'm covered with the Switch and my PC.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. Consoles are secondary to my PC, so a PS5 isn't going to get the same level of hardware investment.

Gevin

Nov 2, 2017
Is the poll code so bad that it breaks when multiple choices are allowed? Or maybe PT has transcended the limits of reality and math

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
Yes when the games justify it

If there are launch titles that I must have then I'm day one of course

And seeing as that's likely halo and TLOU2 remastered I'm probably day one

Hope they launch a month apart and my washing machine don't break down or something - gonna be an expensive holiday 2020

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hell no.

€400 might be my absolute limit if the system already has a couple personal system sellers and an all but guaranteed bright future ahead of it.

The most expensive system I bought (period, let alone at launch) was the Switch, and even then, only because there was a €350 bundle with BotW - remember, the system by itself initially cost €330 here in France -, because I could have my family pay for it in part for my birthday, and because I had a feeling it would be successful.

With that said, games will always be the primary justification for buying a system. I can't buy a system "just in case" or "because I love new hardware". Price comes second.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Nope.

Took me half-way into this generation before getting any new consoles because none of them had enough games I wanted.
Only got a Wii U because it was a gift.
Only got an XB1 because there was a good bundle with a TV and I mainly used the XB1 as a media player (blurays, streaming).
Only got a PS4 around when Ratchet and Clank came out because I'm a huge R&C fan and there were enough games I wanted to play (or were coming soon).

Switch was the only one I got Day One because I love handheld systems, it had Zelda at launch, and it had enough other games released steadily enough that I used it a LOT.

With Microsoft bringing all their exclusives to PC, I don't really have a reason to get their next console. I currently have an XB1S so I might get the next Gen console to get the better quality BC games, but that's about all I can think of wanting it for.
Sony's I might get eventually once there's enough games out for it.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
For sure. $500 is probably the highest I'd be willing to go though. Otherwise I'd wait for a sale or something.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
I'm generally not someone who buys things things at launch, I prefer waiting a few months at least for any potential production issues are fixed. With that in mind I probably won't be getting a console until it's first sale or at least a decent bundle which will be several months after launch.

wtd2009

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Probably not, to be honest. I'd wait a year or two and sell off my ps4 to lighten the cost. It just doesn't seem that necessary to me at this point.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Hell no. Got more important things to do with my money like travel. I can wait for the inevitable price cuts just like always. Got tons of games in the backlog to play.

BasedKiliK

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
A while back I would've said yes, but honestly, my new PC can easily carry me next gen, I still have loads of games to finish in my backlog, and my Switch is arguably my most played system right now, period. I'm in literally no rush, lol. So many great gaming experiences available right now.