daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I've seen most critically acclaimed shows. I have good taste IMO. I just really enjoy this show.
What does that even mean? What timeframe are we talking about? Are we including old and new shows? Original works and remakes? There's a ton of anime that is "critically acclaimed" across a broad spectrum of both tastes and genres which makes this distinction overly broad. Also, you must have a fuckton of time on your hand. I've been watching anime since the mid 90s and I still have major gaps in even some watershed anime.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I'm already a Berserk fan, can't put myself though even more hiatus torture.
Hunter x Hunter can't be the best until it ends...it is top tier though. I would honestly say Attack on Titan has reached the same tier as HxH with this endgame arc in the manga. The whole story is really coming together in a phenomenal way, far better than anything I ever expected from the manga. It's pretty awesome.
You just treat the end of the 2011 anime as the end of the series. HxH's manga won't end until Togashi hands the art over to someone competent enough to properly translate his scripts to manga.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
You just treat the end of the 2011 anime as the end of the series. HxH's manga won't end until Togashi hands the art over to someone competent enough to properly translate his scripts to manga.
No, as much as people say it is, I don't find that to be a satisfying ending for the series.

Togashi didn't intend for it to be the end and it very much feels that way.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Not what i expected to read but I'm glad you like Naruto OP.

It tends to get a lot of hate on this forum, and while the writing does get pretty wonky after the Pain arc, I think the series is entertaining all the way up to end.

It's not really coherent, but it's fun to watch and has cool fights and if it's enjoyable that's really all that matters. Don't let the haters affect your opinion of the show.

Hunter x Hunter can't be the best until it ends...it is top tier though. I would honestly say Attack on Titan has reached the same tier as HxH with this endgame arc in the manga. The whole story is really coming together in a phenomenal way, far better than anything I ever expected from the manga. It's pretty awesome.
AoT is good, but no way in hell is it on HxH's level.

One Piece's high reached pre Time Skip.
Whole Cake Island was better than pre-time skip and Wano is super hype.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
No, as much as people say it is, I don't find that to be a satisfying ending for the series.

Togashi didn't intend for it to be the end and it very much feels that way.
It doesn't as he clearly left the door open not only to expand on the Chimera Ants, but also other abilities and characters in the world, but it's as good a stopping point as any at this point.
Gon's journey is effectively at its end by not only meeting his dad, but has also lost his ability to wield nen (or his ability to use nen has been reset, as some might theorize). At this point, anime-wise, I'd take it.

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
As someone that grew up reading/watching Naruto (as a 12-year-old in 2005) and experienced a wide range of emotions over the years, I can't find the heart to give you grief for your opinion. IIRC, I was feeling pretty good about the series around that time, but as time went on, I only really cared to see how Sasuke's journey ended.

Sage Mode Naruto is cool, but I'm more of a fan of the Uchiha fuckery.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
It's really the war arc where shit starts to fall apart, and even then, the war arc is hype aside from the Uchiha/Kabuto sideshow up until a certain point.

Things just get stupid when Madara offscreens the five Kage and then hijacks the fight with Juubi-Obito.

Oct 28, 2017
California
I need to watch HXH then, if I have the time that is. I mean, you guys are saying it's excellent comparing it to AoT, and this past season of AoT was hype as fuck.

The thing that kinda bugs me about HxH is the character designs, not a huge fan.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Meruem alone is a more complex character than anything AoT has ever attempted. I'm not saying it's bad, I just think it's really overhyped by it's fans.
The current arc is what puts it over the edge for me. I think the plot is really good.

HxH definitely has better character writing, and Nen is my favorite power system in manga, but i still appreciate AoT for what it is and how the overall story has unfolded.

I guess I think AoT has a more cohesive story as a whole than HxH, whereas HxH has stronger characters and individual arcs

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
The current arc is what puts it over the edge for me. I think the plot is really good.

HxH definitely has better character writing, and Nen is my favorite power system in manga, but i still appreciate AoT for what it is and how the overall story has unfolded.

I guess I think AoT has a more cohesive story as a whole than HxH, whereas HxH has stronger characters and individual arcs
Nah, I'm not really feeling this AoT arc at all and it's pretty much down to the fact that it's an Eren arc and Eren is a very weak character so I don't really care about him.

Breh, Erwin Smith though
Not even close dude, not even near the same level. It's like baby Goku fighting Beerus, he just can't hang at all.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
HxH is good, but AoT has really blown me away at how amazing it's become. Like, if this was just season 1 AoT vs HxH 2011, then yeah, HxH wins. But from season 2 on the show has been getting better and better, and I have no doubt it will finish on a high note. HxH is great, but I need more.

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Disclaimer: I am up to the episode where Naruto has absorbed extra nature energy in sage mode as he is choke-held by one of the pains who absorbs chakra in order to cause him to turn into stone, THATS ALL I AM UP TILL!)

This is the greatest show of all time. Live action or anime.

The music, the visuals, the story, the writing, the characters. Just fucking.... wow.

Itachi's back story?! Jiraiya's death?! Naruto's struggle and eventual transformation into SAGE-MODE BAD-ASS TO DESTROY LIKE 4 PAINS IN A MATTER OF 10 MINUTES!?

Can this show get any better? I can't stop watching clips and listening to the soundtrack.

There's something special about this show that I can't seem to put into words but just pure amazement.

Keep in mind: I have skipped most filler, but I have watched recommended filler. So, its been a relatively quick watch so far without shitty, wasteful arcs.

If it helps I hate anime and otaku shit and some people have been trying to convince me to watch Naruto or avatar the last airbender and my faith was being tested but then your post came along and boom- definitely not watching it

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia
Naruto continues to be the most overrated manga of the past 20 years and everything basically fell apart at the time skip. Prepare for character assassinations left and right along with asspull after asspull as things ramp up to the pant-on-head stupid conclusion. While I haven't read it cause fuck Naruto and Kishimoto, I heard the follow-up series is actually pretty good...mainly because Kishimoto isn't actively involved.

Side-note: Kishimoto's new manga is a certifiable mess that seemed to be an insanely awesome concept but has felt nearly soulless in execution out of one moment so far. So again, fuck the overrated hack Kishimoto. I still don't know why in the fuck he's so popular.
the manga is actually quite decent, which is why it used to be shueisha big 3. The final arc felt too rushed definitely, but they did manage to wrap up the story anyway. The anime maybe worse, seeing most people's reaction. And everything after that official ending (boruto) is trash.

But OP is wrong on AoT, AoT is the GOAT. The plot the pacing and the soundtrack are all miles better. AoT is anime's GoT, and even better than it. You can like Naruto better than AoT, no problem, but technically AoT has way better character development, pacing, plot consistency, and it goes higher and higher.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
If it helps I hate anime and otaku shit and some people have been trying to convince me to watch Naruto or avatar the last airbender and my faith was being tested but then your post came along and boom- definitely not watching it

If you want to watch anime and hate anime then I suggest something like Cowboy Bebop or Attack on Titan.

Naruto is super anime.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
This is a really cute thread, OP. Genuinely got a smile from me.

I don't agree in any way, shape or form but you do you.

PonyStation

Banned
May 24, 2019
I've seen most critically acclaimed shows. I have good taste IMO. I just really enjoy this show.

So you've probably watched Fate Stay/Night, Your Lie in April, Steins Gate, Monogatari etc... then came to the conclusion that Naruto is the best anime ever?

Sorry, but Naruto is straight up mediocre...

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Naruto continues to be the most overrated manga of the past 20 years and everything basically fell apart at the time skip. Prepare for character assassinations left and right along with asspull after asspull as things ramp up to the pant-on-head stupid conclusion. While I haven't read it cause fuck Naruto and Kishimoto, I heard the follow-up series is actually pretty good...mainly because Kishimoto isn't actively involved.

Side-note: Kishimoto's new manga is a certifiable mess that seemed to be an insanely awesome concept but has felt nearly soulless in execution out of one moment so far. So again, fuck the overrated hack Kishimoto. I still don't know why in the fuck he's so popular.

KIshi's got strengths. Plot, character designs and the fighting are all really good in Naruto. And he's got a good feel on how to induce pathos into his audience.

Also even though he tends not to do much with all his characters, they're mostly pretty interesting.

He has huge weaknesses though.

Like writing women.

OP
OP
VinFTW

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Can I use this as an opportunity to ask for recommendations for further anime binges?

I've already seen:
HxH
Steins Gate
YLIA
FMAB
DN

If you feel I have trash taste please enlighten me.

Anime is my escape rn.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Can I use this as an opportunity to ask for recommendations for further anime binges?

I've already seen:
HxH
Steins Gate
YLIA
FMAB
DN

Anime is my escape rn.
One Piece
Fruits Basket

If you come say hello in the Anime thread then you'll get a whole lot of recommendations.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
the manga is actually quite decent, which is why it used to be shueisha big 3. The final arc felt too rushed definitely, but they did manage to wrap up the story anyway. The anime maybe worse, seeing most people's reaction. And everything after that official ending (boruto) is trash.

But OP is wrong on AoT, AoT is the GOAT. The plot the pacing and the soundtrack are all miles better. AoT is anime's GoT, and even better than it. You can like Naruto better than AoT, no problem, but technically AoT has way better character development, pacing, plot consistency, and it goes higher and higher.
Again, overrated garbage and not in the best company since Bleach basically fell apart after Soul Society. Btw, I am talking about the manga itself as I couldn't stomach watching the anime after the first arc of Shippuden. As for the final arc, that definitely wasn't rushed...it was a bloated mess that lasted about 3x as long as it needed to. At least it ended with a good fight (the actual last fight) but with zero consequences for anyone because reasons.

AoT is visually amazing, I'll give it that, but I think that too is a bit too overrated and has definite sections that drag on far too long. I think more than anything, AoT has some interesting world building stuff but it relies very heavily on the twist to keep interest going while lacking in some actual character depth. Now if you want to talk about actual plot consistency, I'd suggest reading Full Metal Alchemist. That has some of the strongest and consistent plot and world building out of pretty much any manga and has an actual ton of interesting characters and meaningful plot developments.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
A lot of assholes in this thread just being flat out mean to OP and it's completely unwarranted.

OP, glad you're enjoying it. Stick to filler guides for the remainder of the series, it's even more bogged down with bloat and filler than before.

Unfortunately I agree with the people telling you that the series peak was the Pain arc. That said, there are still many strong moments coming up and the final final fight of the series, the ending, the epilogue and the The Last & Boruto movies are all excellent.

It can just be a bit of a slog to get there.

**and I agree with you that AoT has better pacing and plotting but Naruto's emotional heights are still 10x more powerful. Absolutely.

Ignore the pretentious fucks telling that you HxH, YYH, Jojo, FMA Brotherhood et all are "better". Don't let them invalidate your experience. And if you're hungry for more shonen after Naruto then yes, Hunter x Hunter and Brotherhood are perfect places to continue.

EDIT- Sounds like you've seen those and Steins. Check out Gurren Lagann, Samurai Champloo and Monster.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017

I've already seen:
HxH
Steins Gate
YLIA
FMAB
DN

Anime is my escape rn.
Well it's not complete but My Hero Academia is a blast. I second the one piece recommendation. Also if you like sci-fi at all Mobile Suit Gundam is a must and the dub has actually aged pretty well on the originals(and yes you want to start from the beginning. There's about 6 or so different timelines but the original is still going strong. Even if I am partial to the standalone G Gundam but that's super robot and a thing of its own in many respects) visit us in Gundam era ot for further guidance on that

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio

I've already seen:
HxH
Steins Gate
YLIA
FMAB
DN

Anime is my escape rn.
Sorry these are all more recent, but here ya go:
Devilman Crybaby - stylish af retelling of an absolute classic
A Place Further Than the Universe - A real anime about the power of friendship
Laid-back Camp - The equivalent of being wrapped in a warm blanket beside a cozy fire and drinking hot cocoa on a cold night
Kaguya-sama: Love is War - A very different take on the battle manga format that is equal parts hilarious, exhilarating, tense, and absolutely frustrating

Also, as djinn had mentioned, the Anime OT is a great place for advice on new and old anime worth watching.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I've already seen:
HxH
Steins Gate
YLIA
FMAB
DN

Anime is my escape rn.

My Hero Academia
One Punch Man (season 1 only)
One Piece
Attack on Titan
Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo!
That time I got reincarnated as a slime

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Again, overrated garbage and not in the best company since Bleach basically fell apart after Soul Society. Btw, I am talking about the manga itself as I couldn't stomach watching the anime after the first arc of Shippuden. As for the final arc, that definitely wasn't rushed...it was a bloated mess that lasted about 3x as long as it needed to. At least it ended with a good fight (the actual last fight) but with zero consequences for anyone because reasons.

AoT is visually amazing, I'll give it that, but I think that too is a bit too overrated and has definite sections that drag on far too long. I think more than anything, AoT has some interesting world building stuff but it relies very heavily on the twist to keep interest going while lacking in some actual character depth. Now if you want to talk about actual plot consistency, I'd suggest reading Full Metal Alchemist. That has some of the strongest and consistent plot and world building out of pretty much any manga and has an actual ton of interesting characters and meaningful plot developments.

The thing about FMA is that while it's all consistently good, it also never reaches the highs of other mangas.

It never goes as low as Naruto but it never goes as high as Naruto either.

FMA is always an 8 whereas Narutp veers from 6.5-9.5 arc to arc

I'm not saying Naruto is better than FMA but I do think that Naruto is more entertaining than FMA even though FMA is the more quality work.

Brickhunt

Feb 4, 2018
Brazil
Glad you are enjoying it. In my opinion Pain arc is peak Naruto, but there is plenty to enjoy from the rest of the series. Don't let the cinism and fandom elitism from some users stop you.