Best live action anime/manga adaptation goes to...

• Edge of Tomorrow

Votes: 109 30.6%
  • Oldboy

Votes: 166 46.6%
  • Alita: Battle Angel

Votes: 12 3.4%
  • Rurouni Kenshin movies

Votes: 14 3.9%
  • Speed Racer

Votes: 46 12.9%
  • As the Gods Will

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Other

Votes: 8 2.2%

• Total voters

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
Many have tried, many have failed. It's time for the million dollar question.

WHICH is the best live action manga/anime adaptation attempt, and why??

6NYm.gif

Oldboy
Oldboy was an early hit in the Korean film wave of the eary 2000s. Intensely seeped in desperation, and burning with passion from every camera angle, every indulgent gory spray, the film is one of the most veinous revenge stories put to celluloid this side of the century.

oOu3a.gif

Edge of Tomorrow
Building on the basis of a post apocalyptic time loop action manga (correction: light novel), Edge of Tomorrow combined intelligence, character, and spectacle in one supremely digestible package. Hollywood at some of its finest.

OR... something else?

WHAT SAY YA purple folk??

Last edited:

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Oldboy is the best for sure, but Speed Racer is real close.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
Snowpiercer. Didn't Edge of Tomorrow deviate pretty substantially? And arguably for the better?

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how much praise we should give Edge of Tomorrow for adapting a novel (later manga) with an asian lead named Keiji and turning him into a white man named Cage.
This is, I suppose, intended to be a reference to the original character but given that he is actually at one point called in the book "Killer Cage" by american soldiers rather than using his real name, there feels like some accidental metacommentary in that eh?

Small Red Boy

â–˛ Legend â–˛
May 9, 2019
Why am I learning that Speedracer and Oldboy are manga adaptations now?? In any case Speedracer, one of my favourite movies.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Of those I've only seen Oldboy and the first Rurouni Kenshin film. The Kenshin movie was surprisingly good (and was one of my favorite anime), but Park Chan-wook's Oldboy is incredible.

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oldboy for suuuuuuure. What a legendary movie.

Edge of Tomorrow? Sure it's technically an adaption but..... like... not really? Not in the same way at least.

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo
I loved the book, All You Need is Kill (source material for Edge of Tomorrow, it wasn't a Manga) and I did like most of the movie..but the ending of the movie was so so so vastly different than the book (like I Am Legend levels of different) it killed my enjoyment.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Edge of Tomorrow was based on a novel that was later adapted into a manga.
If this counts, then I nominate Battle Royale.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Speed Racer was good provided no one was talking lol

Edge of Tomorrow edges it out for me. Alita is close (blah blah doesn't compare to the manga), I really hope it gets a sequel.

Oldboy is an amazing but creepy/intense film; I feel Edge is a bit easier on rewatching.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Oldboy is better than most movies ever made. It wins by default.

The real darkhorse answer is Ichi The Killer by Takashi Miike. Any film that has its title drop formed from the cum of the main character jacking off too a sexual assault is going to be something special.

Sesha

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Alita: Bat-

images

Not sure, really. Of the ones in the poll, I've only seen Alita and Edge of Tomorrow.

Anyway, I thought there was a manga of All You Need Is Kill (Edge of Tomorrow) as well.

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
It's Speed Racer by a mile.

I really wish I could get a 4K Dolby Vision copy of the movie. Like REALLY.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Never knew oldboy was based on anything.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I love Speed Racer but anyone voting that over Oldboy and Edge of Tomorrow is clinically insane.

Edge of Tomorrow was based on a novel that was later adapted into a manga.
No, not really. It was a light novel.

Light novels are shorter novels, usually targeted toward teenagers and complimented by manga art, sometimes on each corresponding page. This is partially what makes them so easy to adapt into a manga or even directly into an anime or video game. Light novels are also often released one chapter at a time in a weekly or monthly magazine.

(I learned all of this like a few weeks ago, I also used to assume All You Need Is Kill was a regular novel)

Last edited:

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of wish Edge of Tomorrow kept the more dour ending on the original story. Its less a love story and more tragedy.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
If you ask "what movie takes the crown of best X" and give Oldboy as an option, it's always Oldboy.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Alita: Bat-

images

Not sure, really. Of the ones in the poll, I've only seen Alita and Edge of Tomorrow.

Anyway, I thought there was a manga of All You Need Is Kill (Edge of Tomorrow) as well.

Could you imagine the insanity of a live-action Baki?

It's totally Old Boy by the way. But I will put in a special nod to the Kenshin movies.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
Its Oldboy, but Edge of Tommorow is real effin good, and even apply anime dark comedic sequence for the groundhog sequence.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Blade of The Immortal should be on that list:

tumblr_oq9jngdwzD1s05hv8o1_540.gif
Yeah, this gets my vote.

Oldboy is better than most movies ever made. It wins by default.

The real darkhorse answer is Ichi The Killer by Takashi Miike. Any film that has its title drop formed from the cum of the main character jacking off too a sexual assault is going to be something special.
Part of why I'm fascinated by Ichi is because the movie adaption changed the source material enough that it, intentionally or otherwise, becomes a gonzo allegory for the Batman/Joker relationship. A truly disgusting, compelling film.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
JFC I was legit going to watch that movie and I'm genuinely relieved that you warned me about this. I was told to expect some of the most twisted violence and gore imaginable but that's a completely different category of fucked up right there.