UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely. They were putting out genre-defining games on a yearly basis, in a bunch of different genres. Peak Rare was absolutely insane.

It's wonderful to see their recent turnaround (I thought for years their closure was likely if not inevitable), but they're a very different company than before. Personally SoT doesn't compare to their classic offerings, though I've had some fun with it and appreciate its uniqueness.

Yeah basically the closest analog I can think of to this sale would be Sony selling Naughty Dog + TLOU + Uncharted IP to Microsoft today and even that might not fully cover it.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I wouldn't call them that successful. They have started to be more successful than previously. But they aren't there yet. I'm sure Microsoft expected them to do better than they have. But I wish them the best and Everwild looks great.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Always felt like Rare games were very mixed. Even back on NES, SNES, N64 and the original Xbox. Not sure why. I'm glad they're still around and making unique games. The next one looks very cool.

I've certainly have had fun with their games, but I never felt like it was a tremendous acquisition for Microsoft. Nor was it that big of a loss for Nintendo, despite Golden Eye's impact. They're a solid studio all around, but I think the waves this deal made back then were slightly overblown.

EBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Some weird replies. No one cares whether you personally didn't like SoT for whatever reason(s). The game is super successful.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer - Powered by Friendship™
Oct 27, 2017
They're slowly climbing out of their post-Microsoft hole, but "Most successful"? Before Sea of Thieves hit its stride the last Rare title that felt like it was made by the same beloved "Rareware" studio was Viva Piñata about 10 years prior. And the sequel to that released the same year as the most recent - and definitely worst - Banjo-Kazooie title. (From what I understand Killer Instinct was made by 3 studios total with Rare just overseeing the project due to the IP, same with Battletoads)

Everwild looks great but from what we've been hearing even the devs don't know what the gameplay is going to be which doesn't inspire much confidence.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Had no idea that Nintendo weren't even trying to keep them. Sheesh.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who grew up playing Rare games, I was legit scared for them when Lionhead got closed. Even though I'm not big on Sea of Thieves, I'm really happy the bet paid out big for them. I'm excited to see Everwild and what they come up with next.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Sea of Thieves is not really my cup of tea so I never really fell back in love with Rare. I am hoping Everwild changes that though. The game looks gorgeous and I am digging the vibe. I just hope there is a good game behind it as well.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
What a great thread! Good job, OP!

Rare's late 00's and the beginning of the XBO era was really rough.

The turnaround has been incredible, though. Sea of Thieves is an incredible game, and the support, the amount of (FREE!) content and the community that Rare developed are incredible. It's no surprise that it's player base are in millions.

Let's see what Everwild brings! If it's anything like SoT, the future looks very promising.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Everwild is the single game that makes me want a Series X. Post Kinect-Rare has been fantastic, and I'm happy to see them get more creative freedom.

dakun

Oct 28, 2017
interesting read.
but i wouldn't say one really successful game really makes the handling of Rare for the last 2 decades much less of a disaster. It's wasn't almost a disaster, it was fully qualified 2 decades worth of terrible management kind of disaster.
One can only be hopeful they'll be better managed this decade and it seems like their on the right path.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Rareware forever in my heart.

I'm glad they are doing well with Sea of Thieves, I still need to give it a proper go at some point. I've also enjoyed what I've played of the new Battletoads so far.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
Viva Piñata was ok, I suppose. But truth be told, Rare became immediately worse once they left Nintendo and never recovered. We'll see what the future holds, but Rare is not one of today's "most successful studios". Sorry.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
This...

This is a very good thread. ERA needs more threads like this. That's all I got tbqh

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
Visually Everwild looks so damn good. Probably my favorite looking next gen game. Can't wait to see what the full game is.

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
They are a good studio and it was money well spent, i don't consider it a top studio but they make good games, not amazing, but good games

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Sea of Thieves is as good as any of their old games, probably even better. Inject Everwild into my veins, whatever it is.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Warms my heart to see it, since I grew up on their games. Come the turn of the decade, I was thinking they would be shut down.

There is no comparison to peak Rare. The closest would be Insomanic, with the level of output, variety of genres, and quality. But they don't even touch the quality Rare had in those SNES and N64 days. Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong Racing, Killer Instincts, Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie, and Goldeneye. 2D Platformer, Fighting, FPS, and 3D adventure platformer. Single handily made console shooters legit. Most studios have one hit, maybe two hits, but seldom move away from their preferred genre.

FlashFlooder

Oct 30, 2017
Everwild looks awesome, but I'm a little confused about the "one of the most successful studios" bit... what metric are we using?

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sea of Thieves is their best game ever only behind Goldeneye and maaaaybe PD. It sure wasn't that way when it launched but they managed to turn that ship around (pun intended)

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017
Everything since the purchase has been rough even the first year of Sea of Thieves. I'm glad SoT seems to be turning things around a bit.

Nov 2, 2019
God, Don Mattrick really tried his hardest to kill that studio with avatars and Kinect. While they might have been money makers (aside from Rivals) it really is a miracle that they've stuck around and really turned it around.

Honestly, after the whole Kinect/Xbox One launch, I really don't give a fuck about him but I wonder what Don Mattrick thinks of Xbox today. He's disappeared to his huge ass mansion after finishing off Zynga. Xbox has gone on an entirely different path. Mattrick, Steve Balmer, and Terry Myerson really fucked the division over for a long time and they're just now rebounding from that.

ZeroDS

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I'm excited to try Sea of Theives finally once I get my series x. Hopefully it's fun by yourself as I have no friends to play with

Abylim

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 29, 2017
It's doing well. SoT looks good actually. But to say it's one of the most successful studios is hyperbole.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
MS has shown a pretty solid track record of how to manage the studios they acquire. There's a reason every acquisition is met with excitement