• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
It's not a joke and not a rumor. This really happened about two days ago.

The suspect planned to stab two miHoYo founders and commit suicide afterwards. He got into miHoYo's company compound holding a knife but was arrested. Luckily no one was hurt during this accident.

And his reason? It's……stupid and sad. Recently miHoYo introduced a series of Bunnygirl-theme skins for Honkai Impact. Yes it was a very boring and fan-servcing thing. But it was released on the games' oversea servers only, because it was deemed too skimpy by Chinese authority, so the China server didn't had them yet.

So this sad, sad man can't stand his waifus dressing up as Bunnygirl only for the "foreigners" to see. He felt humiliated. He felt betray. It's a horrible mixture of crazy gamer hehavier, mentally disorder and Chinese fever nationalism.

Source is all over Chinese internet right now.

Sohu:
https://m.sohu.com/a/462811710_119038

Baidu:
https://baijiahao.baidu.com/s?id=1697981165268170988&wfr

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Eugh, thank fuck they stopped them. I'm still periodically saddened by the KyoAni tragedy.

Oct 27, 2017
User warned: advocating violence
I hope they give him a lengthy prison term. And a beating.

After what happened at Kyoto Animation, every such intrusion just gives me a deep sense of foreboding. I hope these houses of creativity take their security super seriously.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
That really is almost too pathetic a reason for words. Sounds like some bizarre cocktail of serious mental problems, nationalism, and... I guess mobile game addiction? Either way, thank goodness they managed to thwart this guy's attempt - as others have pointed out, the KyoAni arson stands out in recent memory as the kind of result this sort of behavior can produce.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Imagine living your entire life up until now and this is the thing that says "Well, time to end it all and take someone with me".

"Died because he couldn't get a novelty skin in a video game".

Like fuck dude, take a walk and think about life for a bit.

Deleted member 24021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That guy took his heated gamer moment way too far. I'm glad this didn't turn into a tragedy, I'm still shook at what happened to KyoAni.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
apparently this person def while went the full on mad it sounds like a ton of the Chinese player base was absolutely pissed about it and apparently they canceled the whole event so global didn't get it either.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
So he not only planned an homicide, but to kill himself for a bunnygirl?

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
This kind of insanity isn't new, for example the 1981 assassination attempt on president Ronald Raegan happened solely because the aspiring killer thought it would impress Jodie Foster whom he had obsessive celebrity crush on.

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
Christ, that's both terrifying and absolutely pathetic at the same time. Thank God no one was hurt.

kuroneko0509

Oct 25, 2017
apparently this person def while went the full on mad it sounds like a ton of the Chinese player base was absolutely pissed about it and apparently they canceled the whole event so global didn't get it either.
yeah. they even get more in game compensation than global server when latter is the one got affected with event cancellation

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
yeah. they even get more in game compensation than global server when latter is the one got affected with event cancellation
Prob will see more of this happening with the CCP censoring games because this pretty much is based on them being worried about that at home.

crazy situation all around good no one was hurt especially when the anger is misguided as hell.

Deleted member 14927

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Poor person must have mental health issues.

Could be anything as the trigger, so don't think that a game caused this. It's incredibly more nuanced than the headlines would have you believe. People fall through the cracks in uncaring societies across the world.

Just glad he was stopped before causing harm to anyone and hope he gets the treatment required.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
It's just super sad that a person's brain can be operating at this level of pathetic. Mental health is no joke.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
There obviously wouldn't have been any good reason for this, yet it ended up being predictable going by the mentality of obsessive players since my first thought was, "I wonder what they were mad about not being able to get in the game". Nationalism also factoring into that specific kind of instability is something new, though.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck man, I kinda just feel sorry for that guy. It's a good thing that no one got hurt in the end but for real, mental issues are no joke and this person clearly needs some help.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What a sad turn of affairs... the Honkai Impact community has been a bit up in arms over this damn bunny suit because the chinese servers got a higher compensation for the skin's removal from the game. I knew Chinese players were upset but it's sad to see one upset enough to do such a thing.

This sense of entitlement and infatuation some players feel towards these virtual characters is really concerning.

Sep 11, 2020
User Banned (2 weeks): blaming the victim of an attempted assassination
Said it on the Genshin Impact OT, since it was also brought up. But this is what happens when you build and keep a customer base by using psychological manipulation and promote unhealthy behavior with the way your game is designed. Take FOMO, the huge feeling of entitlement many Gacha players feel, social media promoting controversy and toxicity because it's what gets you the highest engagement metrics, and combine them with a person that already has big mental problems, and you have the recipe of disaster.

Mihoyo fanbase is toxic as fuck as well. There are various horror stories around the launch of a popular character, which is the "god" of the country inspired by Liyue, with the audience organising themselves in order to harrass the workers at the studio in various ways.

Grips

Oct 5, 2020
Mainframe
Ive been reading alot about Mihoyo, the CN gaming industry and community.
Seems like people and companies there are hellbent on destroying mihoyo ever since GL came out and got that huge.
And now exclusive content coming out for non CN is a huge drama rn.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Said it on the Genshin Impact OT, since it was also brought up. But this is what happens when you build and keep a customer base by using psychological manipulation and promote unhealthy behavior with the way your game is designed. Take FOMO, the huge feeling of entitlement many Gacha players feel, social media promoting controversy and toxicity because it's what gets you the highest engagement metrics, and combine them with a person that already has big mental problems, and you have the recipe of disaster.

Mihoyo fanbase is toxic as fuck as well. There are various horror stories around the launch of a popular character, which is the "god" of the country inspired by Liyue, with the audience organising themselves in order to harrass the workers at the studio in various ways.

I don't think its reasonable at all to place so much of the blame on manipulative business practices. This could be any combination of like-minded enablers, mental illness, monetized and normalized objectification (and the culture around that) among god knows what else. Either way we probably will never know, and this kind of thing will continue to happen because humanity mostly only cares about dealing with problems at their pinnacle and less so the precursors.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
I honestly thought this was going to be about a "whale" user trying to get revenge for going into debt.

freikugeln

Oct 27, 2017

I' m definitely not a proponent of gacha mechanics but that's a crazy hell of a reach no matter how shady they are. That 's a serial killer's train of thought.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
Me and younger brother were just talking about this whole Genshin Impact bunny outfit contoversy yesterday. These fans are something else...

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
The Chinese players getting pissed off at Mihoyo when all the company is doing is following the mandate of their government strikes me a little.... Misdirected?

So like what now? Nobody's going to get anymore bunny girls and everyone has to go back to their rooms and sulk.

Mar 23, 2018
Why do I feel like this is not the first time this kind of incident takes place? And why do I feel like I only read about it going on in that part of Asia?

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The Chinese players getting pissed off at Mihoyo when all the company is doing is following the mandate of their government strikes me a little.... Misdirected?

So like what now? Nobody's going to get anymore bunny girls and everyone has to go back to their rooms and sulk.
Ya know I never considered this, there's a lot of frustration but throwing even a little bit of it in the direct cause's direction will literally end your life, so they instead pour it all into a safe target.

Sep 29, 2019
This is so terrifying. I'm glad no one has been hurt, this is absurd.
And the reason is even weirder... You can't reaaally blame MiHoYo for the stuff that the auhorities/Chinese Goverment imposes.

spiel

Oct 28, 2017
OP, have there been any official statements from Mihoyo or the authorities? In those two articles, they only vaguely credit online rumours. The named news organisation (红星资本局) also doesn't have anything concrete. It just says the local police station responded that the police will put out a report later.