• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
Hyperbole notwithstanding, Kensington, Philadelphia is a tragic failure of government and the worst place I have ever been on earth. It is a DMZ Zombie apocalypse or the closest thing to it. If this were another country there would be telethons and hashtags and NBA commercials during the playoffs but I digress.

https://cantinalamartinaphilly.com/home

Maybe this best Mexican restaurant for a long way and when I get a small opportunity to go out with the wife, I like it to be in a place with a nice reputation and great food. Man I really want to go here but I'm pretty sure the wife is not going to a place in the part of Philly. Don't bother me none. Its an amazing juxtaposition.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
If the food is bumping, the people will come

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017

blazenumb1

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
My church used to do mission trips there and it's not a great place. I think the one playground they helped clean up took a few hundred trash bags to get everything. Was/is one of top 10 places in the US for cocaine.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
For some reason I knew.

I knew.

When I saw this thread title that this would be about Kensington.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
one of my favorite indian restaurants (rip gone too soon) in this area was on a really scary street

it's the price you pay to live in california's meth basket

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Conversely, some of the nicer areas in my city have some pretty shitty places there.

pioneer

May 31, 2022
Ofc Kensington is especially bad but anywhere you go in Philly you're not far from this kind of thing. One fancy restaurant I worked at in a nice area downtown always had drug and prostitution activity behind it. Another had an attempted kidnapping in broad daylight right in front of it.

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
Ofc Kensington is especially bad but anywhere you go in Philly you're not far from this kind of thing. One fancy restaurant I worked at in a nice area downtown always had drug and prostitution activity behind it. Another had an attempted kidnapping in broad daylight right in front of it.

You worked at Fogo?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
This is funny because it's true.

Back home in Inglewood we used to say, "if I don't have to pass the money through bullet proof glass the food ain't good." 😂
Imagine what this Popeyes has seen
NvXUihYwmG3yhhP74lnYpwQKNn2GUPb_XNPciVZaT2c.jpg

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
I worked that area as a landline tech for a month about 6 years ago. It wasn't that bad during the day but I'm sure people left me alone since I had a uniform on and was doing work for them. I was told to get out of there by 3 though and if I saw anything stashed in a utility box to just close the box and leave. Wish I knew this place was there since every thing else looked gross.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I worked that area as a landline tech for a month about 6 years ago. It wasn't that bad during the day but I'm sure people left me alone since I had a uniform on and was doing work for them. I was told to get out of there by 3 though and if I saw anything stashed in a utility box to just close the box and leave. Wish I knew this place was there since every thing else looked gross.

Kinsington has gotten much worst post COVID. It is even more distressing to walk/drive through now.

What's more shameful, for people who have never been to Philly, is how close this area is to Center City. Literally one of the wealthiest areas of Philly, a walking distance away. It's disgusting.

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
The Tenderloin in San Francisco in a nutshell. I've walked by many a shit to get to Mensho Tokyo or Pho 2000, and I'll walk by many more as long as there's good spots to eat

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This is pretty common across the US. Much lower rents.

Deleted member 35509

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I got lost driving through Kensington once lol

No joke, cops saw us (it was late night) and I asked them for directions. They looked at me very seriously and said we need to get out of there.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Nothing in the video comes close to what I have seen in Detroit. It legit feels like I was transplanted in a war torn developing country.

Thorakai

Oct 27, 2017
This thread is eliciting a lot of strong feelings for me:

1) Tragic that any government on Earth can fail its citizens to this degree

2) I don't like how Kensington is talked about as a shitty neighborhood, worst place on Earth, someplace you should avoid at any cost. I recall an experience I had volunteering to help go into people's homes in Kensington and testing for lead paint / educating folks about dangers of lead exposure. I had to attend an all-day training with all the field workers being deployed for this, many of which were folks coming in from the suburbs. At one point someone in the audience asked about the safety of Kensington and you can feel pin drop in room as fear enveloped some folks when facilitators where being frank about the situation - to the point it felt like many would have backed out had they known about its reputation beforehand. Which sucks - that putting a label like this to a place that could use help and support will just drive folks away from doing so. Kind of like a death spiral in a way, people hear a place is bad and so those in position to help avoid the place so conditions worsen overtime so people feel even less inclined to help....I try to be mindful and not name the neighborhood or imply people themselves are the problem in these areas. I'd rather frame this as the tragic situations that they are.

3) This video feels like some type of poverty tourism with the way the camera goes out of the way to focus its attention drugged-up folks. I watch enough of these walking tour videos to know this doesn't happen. Again reminds me of when my college decided to make an assignment sending students to observe Frankford in some kinda poverty zoo-type of observation exercise. Made it all the weirder since I lived near Frankford.

4) I grew up near Frankford and in Olney. I've never seen anything this extreme, but the sights here aren't unfamiliar to me. I've started feeling introspective watching this video - I grew-up thinking everyone had the experience of having neighborhood like this around them or at least passing by them often. Took me until college and being introduced to true suburban folks to realize oh man that is not the case like at all. It totally helped me understand why people get nervous for safety in areas that I otherwise felt generally fine with. At same time, I wonder to what extend growing up where I did has impacted me and whether it's warped my sense of what is acceptable or not.

5) I'm wondering whether you have tried Mexican restaurants in South Philly at all? There is a shitload of Mexican restaurants in that area. I've never heard of this place before, but I'd be very interested in knowing what stands out with this place vs all others...because the pictures on the website don't seem all that special to me as a Mexican-American.

I didn't expect to have all these thoughts triggered when clicking this thread, but just wanted to post them something to help make sense of things.

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
This thread is eliciting a lot of strong feelings for me:

1) Tragic that any government on Earth can fail its citizens to this degree

2) I don't like how Kensington is talked about as a shitty neighborhood, worst place on Earth, someplace you should avoid at any cost. I recall an experience I had volunteering to help go into people's homes in Kensington and testing for lead paint / educating folks about dangers of lead exposure. I had to attend an all-day training with all the field workers being deployed for this, many of which were folks coming in from the suburbs. At one point someone in the audience asked about the safety of Kensington and you can feel pin drop in room as fear enveloped some folks when facilitators where being frank about the situation - to the point it felt like many would have backed out had they known about its reputation beforehand. Which sucks - that putting a label like this to a place that could use help and support will just drive folks away from doing so. Kind of like a death spiral in a way, people hear a place is bad and so those in position to help avoid the place so conditions worsen overtime so people feel even less inclined to help....I try to be mindful and not name the neighborhood or imply people themselves are the problem in these areas. I'd rather frame this as the tragic situations that they are.

3) This video feels like some type of poverty tourism with the way the camera goes out of the way to focus its attention drugged-up folks. I watch enough of these walking tour videos to know this doesn't happen. Again reminds me of when my college decided to make an assignment sending students to observe Frankford in some kinda poverty zoo-type of observation exercise. Made it all the weirder since I lived near Frankford.

4) I grew up near Frankford and in Olney. I've never seen anything this extreme, but the sights here aren't unfamiliar to me. I've started feeling introspective watching this video - I grew-up thinking everyone had the experience of having neighborhood like this around them or at least passing by them often. Took me until college and being introduced to true suburban folks to realize oh man that is not the case like at all. It totally helped me understand why people get nervous for safety in areas that I otherwise felt generally fine with. At same time, I wonder to what extend growing up where I did has impacted me and whether it's warped my sense of what is acceptable or not.

5) I'm wondering whether you have tried Mexican restaurants in South Philly at all? There is a shitload of Mexican restaurants in that area. I've never heard of this place before, but I'd be very interested in knowing what stands out with this place vs all others...because the pictures on the website don't seem all that special to me as a Mexican-American.

I didn't expect to have all these thoughts triggered when clicking this thread, but just wanted to post them something to help make sense of things.

I totally understand you. I grew up in Logan and went to Bridge and Pratt like every day. My comic store is Amalgam Comics which is in Frankford but it has become an abject failure which is not a reflection on the people but of those who claim to represent the people. It was always sketch even back in the 80s and 90s when heron took hold but it was never this bad.

Also I am open to suggestions on South Philly jawns you think I should try. There was a Taco truck on 35th and market that was the truth but I don't work at the hospital anymore so no more for me.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Googled this neighbourhood. Saw piles of garbage, lines of homeless tents, a sinkhole, and the National Guard.

I kind of assumed that this was a city that all the jobs moved out of, like a rust belt kind of situation, but it's just a neighbourhood?

Last edited:

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine what this Popeyes has seen
NvXUihYwmG3yhhP74lnYpwQKNn2GUPb_XNPciVZaT2c.jpg

As if the people working there couldn't take anybody that came at them :P

This is pretty common across the US. Much lower rents.
Lower rent would probably have a negative relationship with quality though. If the rent's high, you need to make money to stay, so your place needs to be better. If the rent's cheap and a barely-occupied business will still pay the bills, then you stay open.

I think the reality is that if your food is good (like, really fucking good), then you don't really have any pressure to dress up the place.

This one chicken spot back home didn't even serve drinks. You had to walk across this old field to a gas station and buy something to bring into the building if you wanted a drink with the food. Place was always sticky too, everywhere. Looked like a warehouse inside. And that chicken was so fucking good that they still had a long wait time for orders lol. Great place

Ablacious

Dec 23, 2018
If the rent's high, you need to make money to stay, so your place needs to be better.
Not especially; rent is just a component and known fixed cost. You just need to have a good margin. Being mediocre but with great margins and demand is longevity.

For example, fine-dining keeps getting attempted in my city but fails. The demand/interest isn't there and the margins are terrible. Sushi omakase on the otherhand where you pre-sell reservations and have known costs with low overhead (other than prior knowledge/training) do better.

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
Googled this neighbourhood. Saw piles of garbage, lines of homeless tents, a sinkhole, and the National Guard.

I kind of assumed that this was a city that all the jobs moved out of, like a rust belt kind of situation, but it's just a neighbourhood?
It's this fucking xylazine, a drug that makes people in to the walking dead. It's a horse tranquillizer that makes people relaxed but not enough to fall to the ground so they stumble around and moan and drool. It's cut with Fentanyl and Heroin and is becoming more and more popular. Me and my brother both try and do what we can. Food, water socks small toiletries but there are hundreds if not thousands of people that need a dime.

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
I went to Baltimore last year for my grandmother's funeral and one area I drove through looked like a mix between a ghost town in a developing country and war zone.

This are from the video didn't look that bad.