Will the Switch sell more than 100 million?

• Yes

Votes: 1,685 58.7%
  • No

Votes: 1,184 41.3%

• Total voters
nintendo-console-salewuklr.png

With this graph in mind I'm not quite sure. I mean it's the best of both worlds (handheld and stationary console) but I think the price is a bit too much to make it sell like the Wii.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
People wanting to compare this to 3DS should keep in mind that 3DS peaked in its first year, which is highly unusual for any device. Be it consoles, smartphones, tablets, streaming boxes, whatever. Almost nothing peaks in its first year unless it's dead on arrival.

There's no reason to believe that 2017 was Switch's peak year.

Oct 26, 2017

With this graph in mind I'm not quite sure. I mean it's the best of both worlds (handheld and stationary console) but I think the price is a bit too much to make it sell like the Wii.
It's only $50 more than the Wii was at launch and is still selling in line with the likes of the Wii and the PS4. It'll get it's price drops like every other system to help maintain its momentum and shift more units during key times, such as the holidays

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017

I have news for you: it's already selling like Wii, despite the higher price point for both hardware and software.

I have more news for you: aside from having an unusually strong start, Wii's sales curve wasn't that unusual compared to its predecessors. It sold steadily better during its first three or so years, started to decline as Nintendo pivoted toward the successor, and really dropped off around Year 5-6, once Nintendo stopped releasing new titles for it.

I have even more news for you: because Nintendo Switch is the result of Nintendo's initiative to consolidate its game development environments on a single architecture shared across all their future device form factors, Nintendo Switch is less likely to have the problem where software support dries up when Nintendo pivots toward a successor.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017

In today's dollars the Wii at launch would cost $305. Granted, that was with a game included. But I agree that it needs a price cut at some point, or to include a game for the same price as now. I expect that by next Black Friday.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think it will pass 100 units sold pretty effortlessly, yes.

I'm convinced the best is yet to come. We have seen nothing yet.

Last edited:

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Yes

It will be awesome to see both Ps4 and Switch sell 100+ million

Long live consoles

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It will definitely beat the 3DS with or without third party support.

100 million is definitely possible, I think it will be close at least.

Socrates

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think they are likely to bring out a new iteration before they reach 100mil. If we are including future switches (i.e a pro or a switch 2) then I think it could reach 100mil. If not i doubt it.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
People wanting to compare this to 3DS should keep in mind that 3DS peaked in its first year, which is highly unusual for any device. Be it consoles, smartphones, tablets, streaming boxes, whatever. Almost nothing peaks in its first year unless it's dead on arrival.

There's no reason to believe that 2017 was Switch's peak year.

People does not understand why 3DS peaked in 2011.

This console released in March with a 250$ price, and in just 4 months had a big 80$ price drop to 170$.

This is not the case for Switch, which released at 300$/330€, and since that it never got even a single promotion. It got some super limited bundle (Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey mostly), and all were sold out at 380$.

Since there were stocks problems, price on Amazon and many others stores was also higher than that, some times reaching high numbers like close to 400$, in Japan some times even 45,000Y.

With the fact that, not only it didn't need a pricut, but also Nintendo was not able to meet the demand at those high prices, tell us how demand is still super big right now, and it won't slow down anytime soon.

If 3DS can reach 80 million, no way Switch does not beat that by a good margin.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
If it has a 5 or more year lifespan (including revisions) then I'll say it's got a 90% chance of outselling the Wii.

Completely depends on the lifespan though.

WhiskerFrisker

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I think so, if I'm being honest. It's clear that the Switch is extremely desirable and it can only become more popular, like with the PS4. Those who are saying 80 million are being delusional. The fact of the matter is that Nintenuhas established popular ips that has been around for decades and have clout. Additionally, Labo could very well be a hit with casuals and kids so I'm not ruling anything out.

However, I hope they don't actually reach that without updating the boring ass UI to make it more attractive. It would actually be a crime.

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Yes. If not, it'll at least be close.

I'm sure it will sell very quickly at its peak. The big question will be the system's lifespan. How long will Nintendo support it? Gamefreak's support will also be an important factor, as late-gen Pokemon titles can really improve the longevity of whatever system they're on.

Edit: rolling my eyes at the people insisting it's just being bought by Nintendo fans.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. If not, it'll at least be close.

I'm sure it will sell very quickly at its peak. The big question will be the system's lifespan. How long will Nintendo support it? Gamefreak's support will also be an important factor, as late-gen Pokemon titles can really improve the longevity of whatever system they're on.
once gamefreak's on a thing they want to stay on it as long as they can it seems. that should really help with the platform, especially as it should cross over into pokemon's 25th anniversary in the later years.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo sold like 250m systems during the Wi/DS generation. So 100m for the Switch family is the least we can expect at this point, without knowing how agreesive the upgrade plan will be or what kind of revisions to expect.

Doubt they will have much issues selling +20m Switch units per year once they reach the 199$ price point.
Hell even 3DS is still selling even though its quite outdated. Switch will def. outsell the Wii.

No. It will do similar to 3DS.
Its outperforming the 3DS while being twice as expensive. Not even mentioning that the software is outpacing the 3DS by alot even though the price per copy increased.

No idea what you are talking about. We wont see witch reach its full sales potential before 2019 when they reach 200 bucks.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Sure.

But to get to 100 million, Nintendo will need to keep a constant stream of games coming to the console. I can definitely see this being the best selling Nintendo console since the Wii.

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
once gamefreak's on a thing they want to stay on it as long as they can it seems. that should really help with the platform, especially as it should cross over into pokemon's 25th anniversary in the later years.
Yup, I'm certainly expecting them to stick around. They like mature hardware that's reached a low, kid friendly price.

Actually, that's an important consideration for the switch's lifespan. Nintendo has always had two products at different price ranges, their consoles and handhelds, and the switch is decidedly NOT in that handheld range. The 3DS is currently filling that role, but when it dies they'll have nothing in that $100-$175 sweet spot that's so important for the child audience. I don't think a "switch portable" or a "switch TV" would be able to cut much off the price. So I wonder if they'll try to keep the switch alive longer than usual, trying to get it way down in price, even after the Switch 2 comes out.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I think so, it and the PS4 will both top out at around a 110m is my guess.
Pokemon alone (assuming it keeps a similar release schedule of a new gen every few years + a remake inbetween) will probably get it close.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
It better. And it should, assuming Nintendo goes all in on it and doesn't decide to do another (non Switch compatible) handheld. Or get too heavily into gimmicky stuff.

But Nintendo screwed up the Wii, which should've topped out above 150m. So we'll see.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I voted yes because I think they're going to keep rolling with the switch as revisions come out.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like most people who thinks its not possible are just going of the thought that it wont outsell the PS4 and the PS4 ceiling is 100m (for some reason).

Thats not how it works - once the price drops we will see families who will justify to own multiple systems. It doesnt really matter what MS and Sony do as long as Nintendo delivers. People called the 3DS "dead" years ago....we are in 2018 and its still selling. Switch is selling at a record pace yet, the ceiling are 3DS numbers

Byakura

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm gonna go with no. I'm sure it will be incredibly successful and it will probably sell upwards of 80 million but 100 million seems unlikely.

MONSTER

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!

you have to remember what Iwata said about the NX

he seemed to have hinted to it as a family of devices

think of switch gen 1, switch gen 2 and so on

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I understand 100M being a pretty high number conceptually, but didn't we just get the news that the Switch is the fastest selling console ever over the first 10 months? Which will likely also be true over 12 months?

I know launch periods being different makes it a tough comparison, but the fact that it will be hanging around the level of the Wii after its second holiday season is pretty stunning.

I'm guessing above 80. It would have to maintain its current pace for six years to reach 100.

Luckily no successful console has ever peaked in its first year. Usually years 3 and 4 are the peaks, so Switch will not have to sell for 6 years if it sells upwards of 20 to 30 million in each of the next few years.

Giant Panda

Oct 25, 2017
Back before launch, I was predicting N64 to NES level, which I believe is 35m to 60m. I've had to revise my expectations significantly up. Now I'm thinking PS3 to Wii level. It might barely reach 100m but it won't break it by much IMO. Long term, I don't see much of a reason for it to do better than Wii as it lacks the public mindshare Wii had.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Switch ain't selling 30 million in no year, fam.

You could very well be right but it's going to sell over 15m in its first year while being completely sold out in its second most major territory, and sold out for half of the year basically everywhere else.

Once it has Pokemon and a price cut? 30m is extremely achievable. By no means is it guaranteed of course or even likely, but I would definitely call it a realistic possibility.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
You could very well be right but it's going to sell over 15m in its first year while being completely sold out in its second most major territory, and sold out for half of the year basically everywhere else.

Once it has Pokemon and a price cut? 30m is extremely achievable. By no means is it guaranteed of course or even likely, but I would definitely call it a realistic possibility.

I can see a Pokemon boost. 100 million isn't out of the question, but 30 million in a year would be nuts.