• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
I'm not surprised by the reception, I was really hoping that this game would be the one but ultimately it's still trpg factory. Guess you can't expect too much.

One thing I will say though is that I never felt like this game was trying to be as nostalgia driven as setsuna or lost sphear, that's part of why I was looking forward to it

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
It seems they are too focused on chasing the feeling of oldskool RPGS rather than fully making something of their own inspiration. That's how I kind of feel anway. Since they don't have a bigger budget they can't give more expression and life to their character models to make up any other weaknesses in story.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder sometimes about Digitally downloaded's opinion b/c they always seem to give really high scores to any Japanese game.

The EiC of DD is an otaku, no doubt about it. He seems to score RPGs with good story, but flawed gameplay, really high. That's cool that he believes a game's limitations can be overcome by its strengths, but it definitely makes it difficult to determine whether or not it'll do the same for me, or you, or whoever.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018

In retrospect, I am Setsuna is probably they're best game and not at all a bad game. One problem with I am Setsuna is that it was cursed with being the next "Chrono Trigger" due to its battle system in the same way Octopath Traveler was cursed as being "Final Fantasy VI" due to it's visuals. When people start dropping those legendary names and you play the games they may not be bad games per se, but they're not Chrono Trigger and certainly not Final Fantasy VI.

Like I said that's just one problem, not to say the game was perfect beyond an unfair comparison because it wasn't, but from my demo impressions of Oninaki I'd put Setsuna as TRPGF's highlight.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played the demo and thought it was a very mediocre if not, inoffensive, action RPG.

The biggest issue for me was that there was nothing remarkable about it: not the plot, not the characters, not the art style, not the gameplay. Just bland and boring all the way.

Is not charming as and old school looking RPG project. Just looks and plays like a your average RPG mobile game.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the demo, but this is a wait for sale. Especially with everything else coming out at the moment.

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I kind of liked the battle system from the demo.

I can see that, but can you really say you highly enjoyed it? It doesn't really have a whole lot of substance or variation to it to be that enticing, wouldn't you say? Imagine the same battle system spread out across 40 hours, only with different spirits providing some different abilities.

Apr 24, 2018
It's too bad...my interest in Tokyo RPG Factory games has dwindled so much. I am Setsuna I played (and platinumed) but felt it was a very middling title. I blame myself partially for having high expectations based on the allusions made to the fact that the game was going to be in the same vein as Chrono Trigger.

Lost Sphear I had some interest in, but the reviews really soured my outlook on the title. Also, so many great games have come out the last two years that coupled with its price tag compelled me not to pick it up.

Oninaki I still plan on playing the demo at some point, but again, based on reviews, I have very low expectations. If I find the gameplay mediocre in the demo, I'll probably write off any future games from Tokyo RPG Factory barring exceptional reviews.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo RPG Factory is just Kemco with better production values

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Haven't tried the demo for this one yet, but Lost Sphear ended up being a lot better than the demo was. I'm not sure why they thought it was a good idea to just throw you into a random part of the game where all the characters already knew each other with no real context.

BuGeYeD

Mar 13, 2019
I'm a little late here but hey everyone, I'm the person who reviewed the game at DualShockers. Lemme know if you have any questions since I'm about finished with the endgame content.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like another Tokyo RPG Factory game to skip. Given the flood of available/soon-to-be-available games, I'm not bothered that much.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Tokyo RPG Factory is the 1$ McDonald's menu of JRPGs

And to think I was excited when that studio was announced at e3...

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Might pick the game up on a deep sale later in the year but there's not enough there to pick it up right before the onslaught of Sept releases.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Kind of expected this but had slightly higher hopes than Lost Sphear due to Tokita's involvement. I enjoyed Setsuna enough to keep it but it's certainly on the bottom of my JRPG list for replays alongside Bravely Default. Don't why these attempts at classics always end up falling short of greatness. Octopath in particular could have been amazing with stronger/more consistent narratives

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Definitely a Tokyo RPG Factory game they continually pump out solid but ultimately not amazing games. The mixed reviews are making me gravitate towards Grandia HD collection instead.

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wondered why Tokyo RPG Factory's tagline was "Do you have more time than you know what to do with?"

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I'm a little late here but hey everyone, I'm the person who reviewed the game at DualShockers. Lemme know if you have any questions since I'm about finished with the endgame content.

My question is how's the story and characters? These are the most important things in RPGs and it's what I place the most weight on. Are you being compelled to finish the game by the story, or is it the gameplay? If you wrote the review already I'm assuming you no longer have to play it but it sounds like you still are, what's driving you?

BuGeYeD

Mar 13, 2019
My question is how's the story and characters? These are the most important things in RPGs and it's what I place the most weight on. Are you being compelled to finish the game by the story, or is it the gameplay? If you wrote the review already I'm assuming you no longer have to play it but it sounds like you still are, what's driving you?

A lot of reviewers seem to be dinging the game for having slow combat. In the late game, things definitely pick up a lot more as you develop your skills with each Daemon (aka your weapons). The story is what drove me to keep going throughout. However, as I pointed out in my review the game doesn't have a great third act.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
Imported my demo save to PS4 last night when it unlocked. So far, the story does seem compelling, but I am still at the beginning. I do like the skill tree aspect and personally I preferred their turn based systems, but this is okay. I do want to support this studio, and I hope they can keep improving. Combat-wise, this studio is definitely getting better though.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
Does anyone know what is the idea behind Tokyo RPG Factory? Like, what are the goals/objectives, why was it created? Is it a place for fresh Square-Enix devs to work on their skills? Is it a side-project of some person/group at SE? Is there some core idea/philosophy of development that they are iterating over with each game?

I keep having this feeling that understanding what they are trying to achieve would help me appreciate their games more.

BentMyWookiee

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know what is the idea behind Tokyo RPG Factory? Like, what are the goals/objectives, why was it created? Is it a place for fresh Square-Enix devs to work on their skills? Is it a side-project of some person/group at SE? Is there some core idea/philosophy of development that they are iterating over with each game?

I keep having this feeling that understanding what they are trying to achieve would help me appreciate their games more.
If I remember correctly the studio was formed to focus on making new JRPGs reminiscent of/inspired by the classic RPGs that Square made in the glory days.

The text on their homepage says: "Countless adventures captivated us when we were kids. Now, it's time for us to return the favor with adventures of our own."

I definitely feel like the studio has potential. They've got some good ideas, but the execution so far hasn't lived up to the promise. I haven't played the retail version of Oninaki yet (only the demo), but I feel like there were definitely things I loved about I am Setsuna and Lost Sphear, but they were still held back by a lot of flaws. I hope they continue to improve and look at the criticisms of their three titles so far and have the chance to make something that lives up to their vision. I'll continue to root for the devs, but after buying their last two games at launch, I think I'm going to hold off on Oninaki until it ends up on sale.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
If I remember correctly the studio was formed to focus on making new JRPGs reminiscent of/inspired by the classic RPGs that Square made in the glory days.

The text on their homepage says: "Countless adventures captivated us when we were kids. Now, it's time for us to return the favor with adventures of our own."

They just don't have a comparable the budget to what the old days had.

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
man, just what is the deal with this studio. i wish they would maybe take some time and actually work on some clever gameplay mechanics rather than the middling standard fare they put in. their games seem to lack some sort of .. creative ambition?

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
man, just what is the deal with this studio. i wish they would maybe take some time and actually work on some clever gameplay mechanics rather than the middling standard fare they put in. their games seem to lack some sort of .. creative ambition?

I'd definitely like to see them take, like, 2 or 3 years on their next thing and really try to polish it. They pumped out Oninaki in, like, a little over a year.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

They were founded to capitalise on the success of Bravely Default, and were meant to make games that were like the JRPG classics of yesteryear and specifically on home consoles(which just meant PS4 at the time).

Raidou

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the demo and it's pretty good, I don't know why but the gameplay remembers me a little of The Witch and the Hundred Knight. Not getting the game now because of Astral Chain but I'll definitely give it a chance next month.