chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/DarkSoulsGame/status/1738077033442218190?t=nLaq6s1S_CNPt-VWG6i5Hw&s=19

The #DarkSouls2 PS3 and Xbox 360 servers will shut down on March 31, 2024.

A message stating that online play is disabled will be displayed. Offline play will still be possible.

PC, PS4 & Xbox One servers will not be affected.

Thank you to those who have played since launch.

This is just the vanilla version of DS2 available on the PS3 and 360. PC still has online support for both this version of the game and the Scholar of the First Sin "remaster" for now.

I believe this is the last Souls game with online support on seventh generation consoles. End of an era.

HeeHo

Oct 27, 2017
I played the most pvp in DS2 on 360. For some reason it felt easier to get into than DS3. Good memories for me.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
OP
OP
chaobreaker

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I just assumed they were already down when I played a few months back ago. Must have been some of the functionality and not all

I believe it was just the Japanese versions that had online support. Since the PS3 is region-free you could just get the JPN version to play online.

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
Such good memories. Absolutely loved my time with this game, especially the multiplayer. It may not have been perfect, but there was just something about this game that I still haven't felt with any other souls game to this day.

Surprised the servers were still up for these versions of the game, 10 years is a good run.

trimin

Oct 25, 2017
Such good memories. Absolutely loved my time with this game, especially the multiplayer. It may not have been perfect, but there was just something about this game that I still haven't felt with any other souls game to this day.

Surprised the servers were still up for these versions of the game, 10 years is a good run.

Agreed. This is the last game in recent memory that I truly have nostalgia for. Ok maybe a bit of an exaggeration but it's definitely the one I feel most nostalgic. I've always tried to explain it like this: this game felt like a darker studio ghibli fantasy to me. There were moments where I felt like I was in a Miyazaki film. Like the singing Milfanito in front of the hut in the Shrine of Amana. Or walking into Majula. It was like the tunnel scene in Spirited Away.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
Dark Souls II on PS3/Xbox 360 was so much better than Scholar of the First Sin in a lot of ways. Even though graphically it wasn't as good and SOFS was supposed to be the improvement. I Platinum'ed Dark Souls II PS3 so I'm good there.

Armored Core Verdict Day might be tough for me to do with the amount of time that's left.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
That's very understandable, I doubt those versions had much life in 2023. It's sad though. I prefer Scholar of the First Sin but this is kind of the death of the original game. Does the PS3 still get patches? The store is dead now, right? If you plug in a fresh Dark Souls II disk can you even update it?

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan

View: https://twitter.com/DarkSoulsGame/status/1738077033442218190?t=nLaq6s1S_CNPt-VWG6i5Hw&s=19

This is just the vanilla version of DS2 available on the PS3 and 360. PC still has online support for both this version of the game and the Scholar of the First Sin "remaster" for now.

I believe this is the last Souls game with online support on seventh generation consoles. End of an era.

The OG game is still played quite a bit on current gen and PC so it won't be shut off there in a loooong time.

Oct 25, 2017
Ok now I'll finally come back. Playing this when it was brand spanking new (emphasis on the spanking. Ouch.) was my first experience of a From game in its early stages with patches and so forth.

Not that Patches.

Suppose I'll grab it on PC, at some stage. I never tried the DLC so I imagine that'll be a treat when I get that whole version.

Is it too early for Happy Souls?

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. This is the last game in recent memory that I truly have nostalgia for. Ok maybe a bit of an exaggeration but it's definitely the one I feel most nostalgic. I've always tried to explain it like this: this game felt like a darker studio ghibli fantasy to me. There were moments where I felt like I was in a Miyazaki film. Like the singing Milfanito in front of the hut in the Shrine of Amana. Or walking into Majula. It was like the tunnel scene in Spirited Away.

Oh man

I'm feeling this post a lot as someone who watched The Boy and the Heron last week

Plum

May 31, 2018
That's very understandable, I doubt those versions had much life in 2023. It's sad though. I prefer Scholar of the First Sin but this is kind of the death of the original game. Does the PS3 still get patches? The store is dead now, right? If you plug in a fresh Dark Souls II disk can you even update it?
Thankfully the original game is still available on PC, so it's not completely dead yet. Will suck when that gets delisted/has its online shut down because of how many - frankly mostly bad - changes Scholar of the First Sin makes.

And the PS3 store is still alive, just in a barely-functioning state where you can't even add funds anymore (have to do so via the modern stores). Even when it goes patches and such will still be available.

dom

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls 1 is still online as it's built off a mesh network of P2P connections using xbox live or PSN

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
So this would make one achievement/trophy impossible for that version right? The one where you join a covenant and kill 30 bosses?

Sloth

Nov 27, 2017
I guess they have data that shows its not worth keeping them up. But its always a shame when companies take servers offline.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
It was WILD to me that back in 2021 this game still and a very active player base on the PS3. I got a copy for $2 from a GameStop near me and saw lots of active players and non-NPC summon signs. It was active enough that I managed to be summoned by three different people in one night for the final boss.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
So this would make one achievement/trophy impossible for that version right? The one where you join a covenant and kill 30 bosses?

The spell for Bell Keepers covenant is slightly easier done online versus doing it offline, but honestly most of the game can be done offline. When I Platinum'ed the PS3 version about two years ago, I would occasionally run into players. Most of the players I would see would be in the final boss area.