• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking about this last night. This meme is still going strong and ROTS came out almost 14 years ago. Most memes die out fairly quickly or at least a couple years at max. The only other parallels from that time period that became memes much much later like I don't believe you from Anchorman and I don't know what I expected from Arrested Development. Thoughts?

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like unlimited power and NOOOOOO are actually the longer living memes from ROTS.

OP
OP
Hollywood Duo

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just saw this subreddit almost make it to the front page of reddit today: https://www.reddit.com/r/CroppedNorrisJokes/

The insecure chin post was in the top posts of the last hour for /r/all, but it didn't seem to gain traction after that. Anyway, if cropped Norris jokes takes off, then that would be a pretty epic revival for Chuck Norris memes.

Oct 31, 2017
I think that most people totally misinterpret this, but that also this and other aspects of the PT (Jar-Jar/"Icky Icky Goo!", Palpatine/"Unlimited Powah!", Anakin/"I hate sand", etc. etc.) continually remaining within the cultural conscious shows that the Prequels, despite them being 'bad films' by certain metrics, are actually brilliant films in ways that aren't really plainly obvious.

Obi-Wan saying "Only a Sith deals in absolutes." highlights the Jedi's hubris and the Jedi's hubris is exactly the environment that facilitates their and the Republic's destruction.

Obi-Wan even comes out of Padme's ship on Mustafar and folds his arms in a show of 'moral superiority' to Anakin and this only tilts him even more and reinforces his position that he'd been twisted into by Palpatine. It's even reinforced at the end "I have the high ground!" -> "Don't try it!".

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is the ultimate meme.
stussy.jpg

Though many worthy contender have made their mark.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
It's because it's the greatest indicator of just how bad of a writer Lucas is, given that Obi-Wan's statement is an absolute.

I mean, I understand what he's trying to say. Only a Sith deals in absolute terms such as with me or against me. So, while Obi-Wan's statement is absolute itself, he is merely reiterating Sith ideology. Thus, it does not apply to him or the Jedi.

It's just extremely clunky in its wording.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
I once saw someone put together a like 5 minute video about "um ACTUALLY, it's not stupid or hypocritical, 'dealing' in absolutes is totally different than having absolutist beliefs!"

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
General Grievous is the ultimate *cough* *cough* *COOOOOUUUUUGH* meme.

xde2u6mnfeay.jpg

Last edited:

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone seen Revenge of the Sith recently? That movie is so fucking fun, and every line feels like a meme generator. Sheev Palpatine in that film probably gives the best hammiest performance ever.

Oct 31, 2017
I mean, I understand what he's trying to say. Only a Sith deals in absolute terms such as with me or against me. So, while Obi-Wan's statement is absolute itself, he is merely reiterating Sith ideology. Thus, it does not apply to him or the Jedi.

It's just extremely clunky in its wording.

No it directly DOES apply to him and the Jedi. He and the Jedi are blinded by their own righteousness, and that's exactly why the Jedi can't see Palpatine even though he's right in front of them the whole time.