Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Minecraft.

Sure Jan. Call me whenever devs start releasing countless Witcher 3- like/copy pastas games in the future.

They have. The way side quests are handled in open world games this gen were directly impacted by TW3. There is a clear pre and post TW3 side quest design. Heck IIRC GG went as far as to hire TW3 staff to help out with quest design for HZD.

Now if you want to say that BG2 did this over a decade ago, you won't get any argument from me.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
While it's all fairly subjective I would say 90% of all answers across all decades should fall within one of these:

70's: Pong, Space Invaders, Breakout, Star Wars, Asteroids
80's: Super Mario Bros., Pac-Man, Tetris, Donkey Kong, The Legend of Zelda
90's: Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64, DOOM, Street Fighter II, Pokemon Red/Blue
00's: Grand Theft Auto 3, Resident Evil 4, Wii Sports, World of Warcraft, Minecraft
10's: Breath of the Wild, Witcher 3, Fortnite, Mass Effect 2, Skyrim

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
In terms of how much it impacted the gaming industry, It has to be Dark Souls.

I'm not even a big dark souls fans, never played the 1st or 3rd only the 2nd, but so many games after tried to follow in its footsteps or take cues from it ever since.

Whether it's the truly challenging game-play, interconnected world, building the lore yourself or replay ability, Dark souls has always been looked at for inspiration for many of today's games. Heck many of the greatest games released lately have taken cues from Dark Souls like Breath of the Wild or Hollow Knight,

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
In terms of the 00's, I think CoD4 is probably the most influential. For a while every game was copying the killstreak and leveling system. It single handedly changed the FPS genre. Halo is definitely up there in its influence as well.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
While I get the logic in elevating Dark Souls or The Witcher 3, or any other number of excellent games - I think the main comparison point here is that RE4 & OoT didn't just stand out in their respective decade - they influenced the following decade to come in seismic ways. OoT pioneered 3D adventure gaming. RE4 polished into a cinematic experience rich with setpieces and drama.

While DS created it's own action subgenre & Witcher 3 hit new storytelling heights within existing open world mechanics - I don't know if either are going to have the long-tail influence of OoT or RE4. If you do want to make that comparison right now, it takes a bit of Fortune telling. What's the game that we'll look to in ten years, and point to as the next leap in the medium? And as much as it'll piss off a large chunk of the forum...

It's probably Red Dead Redemption 2.

If you look at the trajectory of OoT-RE4 as a direct line of the action adventure game as the sort of 'default' genre experience, with each one representing a major leap that both perfected AND innovated upon the form - RDR2 feels like the most honest next step.

It accomplishes an open world above anything else in its' league, a sprawling cut of the West with dynamic story integration and survival/hunting mechanics. Narratively - it's a poetic journey of the era - boasting incredible performances and characters. It's the most technologically impressive game of the generation. But most vitally, it is a game that commits to this vision beyond mere visuals - and ties the very mechanics of play into the experience.

RDR2's most abrasive and challenging elements - the movement speed, animation length, and use of cinematic traversal are going to be drawn upon by major studios that have ambitions that pertain to any genre. It asks a question of why games feel the way they do, and dares to shift that in the name of artist cohesion.

That's the sort of paradigm shift that sticks.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In terms of how much it impacted the gaming industry, It has to be Dark Souls.

I'm not even a big dark souls fans, never played the 1st or 3rd only the 2nd, but so many games after tried to follow in its footsteps or take cues from it ever since.

Whether it's the truly challenging game-play, interconnected world, building the lore yourself or replay ability, Dark souls has always been looked at for inspiration for many of today's games. Heck many of the greatest games released lately have taken cues from Dark Souls like Breath of the Wild or Hollow Knight,

if we're talking impact on the industry then it's Fortnite and it's not even close for any other game.

Fortnite has changed the landscape of gaming.

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
I could dark souls yeah and im just a casual fan of it.
The fact that devs were tripping over themselves to make half assed clones got tiring

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
As great and amazing as RE4 is, I still think I'd put Metroid Prime ahead of it for the generation.

And as much as a love OOT, I feel like SM64 was more of the revolution.

Just kind of pointing out that your notion that RE4 and OOT were the top of their generation is subjective.
Finally, someone mentions Metroid Prime. Thank you and goodnight.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
RDR2's most abrasive and challenging elements - the movement speed, animation length, and use of cinematic traversal are going to be drawn upon by major studios that have ambitions that pertain to any genre. It asks a question of why games feel the way they do, and dares to shift that in the name of artist cohesion.

I actually don't think this will come to pass. Naughty Dog games for example already showed years before that you can have extremely cinematic presentation and animations without sacrificing playability. I'm not even a super huge Naughty Dog fan, but most developers seem more interested in following that balance of gameness and cinematic presentation than RDR2's style. But yea we'll see!

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
"OoT and RE4 were definitive #1 games of their decade."

No.

As for what would be the definitive game of this decade? I feel like BotW will still probably win the vote for that (at least for now). It is respected in essentially every single space. However, I think Bloodborne is going to be a game that is frequently referenced as that game in enthusiast spaces (alongside BotW). I also think the Resident Evil 2 remake will still be referenced in the same way that the first REmake was. So it is a modern classic, but I doubt it will be most people's "definitive #1" pick.

Last edited: