Oct 29, 2017
Skywards Sword is the most timeline conscious title in the franchise, so much so you could say the plot is written to reinforce the idea of the timeline.

So I think what happens with TotK is that despite it being the least timeline conscious title this side of the millennium, any Skyward Sword references, no matter how small, are ultimately read as hints about the timeline just because that is such a strong part of that title.

When you hear Zelda's Lullaby your mind doesn't go directly to thinking of OoT's connection to Totk, but Fi music during Master Sword cutscenes? Seems like a timeline reference because SS is so charged with it.

May 7, 2020
The timeline is pretty bullshit and was only really given form in Hyrule Historia years ago and then not really talked about much since then, and it's clear BotW and TotK don't logically fall anywhere in that.
The idea that the timeline is a relatively recent fabrication by Hyrule Historia is categorically untrue.

As far back as the Windwaker days (and even earlier) Myamoto and Aonuma have talked extensively about how they create the games with the others in mind and references to a master document that they go back to reference when starting on a new project.

Now either Myamoto and Aonuma were lying for years and any reference to any kind of chronology in the games doesn't mean anything (in which case, we can apparently ignore the multiple direct sequels in the series)... or yes, the games did set up a chronology of sorts and left it to the player to puzzle it together for themselves - because A. & M. always meant for that to be a puzzle in and of itself.

The idea that there is no timeline IS a recent fabrication though. Before Hyrule Historia came along and ruffled a few feathers for some reason, it was pretty uncontroversial that the games were set in some kind of chronological order - the disagreement in the Zelda fan community lay with what the order was.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
The idea that the timeline is a relatively recent fabrication by Hyrule Historia is categorically untrue.

As far back as the Windwaker days (and even earlier) Myamoto and Aonuma have talked extensively about how they create the games with the others in mind and references to a master document that they go back to reference when starting on a new project.

Now either Myamoto and Aonuma were lying for years and any reference to any kind of chronology in the games doesn't mean anything (in which case, we can apparently ignore the multiple direct sequels in the series)... or yes, the games did set up a chronology of sorts and left it to the player to puzzle it together for themselves - because E. & M. always meant for that to be a puzzle in and of itself.

The idea that there is no timeline IS a recent fabrication though. Before Hyrule Historia came along and ruffled a few feathers for some reason, it was pretty uncontroversial that the games were set in some kind of chronological order - the disagreement in the Zelda fan community lay with what the order was.
I didn't say it's a recent fabrication as of Hyrule Historia, I just said it's not something they immediately consider. Yes, plenty of games have direct references to other games, such as the obvious ones of Wind Waker and Ocarina of Time. I think BotW and TotK happen outside of any "timeline" other than of course TotK being a sequel to BotW, but if they do happen in a timeline, it certainly wasn't the first thing they were thinking of when creating it.

Wind Waker and Twilight Princess both make obvious references to Ocarina of Time, but don't even touch most of the other games in the franchise. There's things like the training skeleton being OoT Link in Twilight Princess. A Link Between Worlds comes after A Link To The Past clearly. When they created Minish Cap, I doubt they were thinking "Okay we'll leave this evidence that points to Zelda II later in one branch of the timeline." I remember before Hyrule Historia came out, people argued over this all the time on the internet and if I remember correctly, there were only two splits at Ocarina of Time and the third wasn't even known until Hyrule Historia.

As someone that used to be a harder core timeline truther, I think it's time to let the thing go. They kept vague track of it, but they really didn't place a whole lot of importance on it. Now it's clearly completely out the window and that's fine, probably better actually.

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
No one is arguing that the timeline is a huge factor when designing (most of) the games. It seems clear to me that they gave it some thought for the most important entries as those had a timeline component, but that likely wasn't a key factor when producing the game.

At least until Botw and Totk, when the only way to make it fit with the rest is to assume that they're so far into the future that any timeline could fit really. One can guess that Hyrule has been re-founded more than once, and that, similarly to how there is a Zelda and a Link , there is also a Ganondorf reborn that doesn't have any relation with the previous one from OoT, which until now was always the same character.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Just went back and beat the game again - the first time I missed the Deku Tree memory so I didn't get the full ending. Went back and finished a bunch of the side content and quests I hadn't finished as well.

Loved the extended ending. Kind of wish they broke tradition and gave us a post-game, but ah well. Still have more shrines to hunt down and the rest of the Depths to uncover.

What a game. Just an absolutely sublime experience that consumed me unlike anything else in recent memory, save for Elden Ring. And even so, I played this for double the time and could keep going.

OP
OP
Angie

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
So I guess enough time passed that I can admit this.

I do not like the depths at all lol
I'm so glad it can be just full ignored.

I love every other addition, caves, sky islands, the new powers. Everything I love, but I just ignore the depths

Sumac

alt account
Banned
Mar 24, 2023

I love every other addition, caves, sky islands, the new powers. Everything I love, but I just ignore the depths

..I didn't really engage with them, but I have to say the depths are extremely well integrated tbh... they are completely out of sight, out of mind and if you have to go there because of the story, it's essentially like a cave or dungeon

and from a vibes pov, they have the indirect bonus effect of giving the world an larger-than-life feel like nothing else... riding a dragon through the depths in and out is one of my favourite game moments in forever

OP
OP
Angie

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
..I didn't really engage with them, but I have to say the depths are extremely well integrated tbh... they are completely out of sight, out of mind and if you have to go there because of the story, it's essentially like a cave or dungeon

and from a vibes pov, they have the indirect bonus effect of giving the world an larger-than-life feel like nothing else... riding a dragon through the depths in and out is one of my favourite game moments in forever
I do like that they made it not essential to play the game.
Just there when I want a new armor. I do love that they did it that way.

But I do love the sky islands way way more lol
I love that part of the game

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Just hit credits, I did all 152 Shrines.

Ending sequence was great. It's also one I am curious to try without doing any temples to see how that goes.

The story, I liked, but at the same time feel let down by what it could have been. One idea they shared concept art for BotW was an alien invasion, and I legitimately thought the Zonai might be that.
So, jumping off this a little bit, I noticed something toward the end of the game. Here's what the Light Dragon, Princess Zelda turned draconified, looks like:

Tears-of-the-Kindom-Light-Dragon.jpg

Outstretched face, kind of normalish (for a Hylian) ears, nostrils at the end of the snout, a mane the same color as Zelda's hair. Here's Draco-Ganon:

zelda_tears_of_the_kingdom_ganon_5_dd_dd.jpg

Sameish, hair turned into a mane, lots of horns, nostrils at the end of the snout, overflowing with malice the way Zelda overflows with light. Meanwhile, here's Farosh, Naydra, and Dinraal.

TotK_FaroshFull.jpg

Naydra.jpg
latest

Much longer ears (like Mineru and Rauru), nostrils midway on top of the snout, and representing fire, lightning, and ice. They straight up look like Zonai ate the sacred stones. I kind of suspect that the zonai that did come down before Rauru took a Hylian as a wife and founded (a) Hyrule decided to become spirits, either to serve Hylia or counterbalance her, by eating the sacred stones. That's probably why Mineru had legends about it in the first place.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
So, jumping off this a little bit, I noticed something toward the end of the game. Here's what the Light Dragon, Princess Zelda turned draconified, looks like:

Outstretched face, kind of normalish (for a Hylian) ears, nostrils at the end of the snout, a mane the same color as Zelda's hair. Here's Draco-Ganon:

Sameish, hair turned into a mane, lots of horns, nostrils at the end of the snout, overflowing with malice the way Zelda overflows with light. Meanwhile, here's Farosh, Naydra, and Dinraal.

TotK_FaroshFull.jpg

Naydra.jpg
latest

Much longer ears (like Mineru and Rauru), nostrils midway on top of the snout, and representing fire, lightning, and ice. They straight up look like Zonai ate the sacred stones. I kind of suspect that the zonai that did come down before Rauru took a Hylian as a wife and founded (a) Hyrule decided to become spirits, either to serve Hylia or counterbalance her, by eating the sacred stones. That's probably why Mineru had legends about it in the first place.
Interesting, I didn't even think of this and it was a little weird they never directly explained the other three dragons, but this explanation makes sense. I wonder if any potential DLC will center around these dragons.

Also did the BotW models have these properties?

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017

I'm the total opposite on the depths. I actually tried to explore as much of it as soon as I could, and it ended up turning out very interesting. I had a lot of moments of "Oh shit what the fuck is THAT when I could barely see three feet in front of me, even with the Miner Suit on." Seeing Colgera in the distance gave me the same vibe of seeing a Reaper Leviathan in the distance for the first time in Subnautica.

Getting the Zonai and Yiga schematics was cool and helped inspire more ideas for building vehicles or other devices, as well as just getting the diary entries from the Yiga bases. Exploring the depths also helped me fast track to getting more crystallized charges, and I could get all the Zonaite I needed really fast.

I actually discovered the Construct Factory and Spirit Temple completely out of sequence and just had the "what the hell is all this" moment as I see the terminals rejected me in the facilities, only to find out with context later on in the game.

And then you have stuff like the area under Skull Lake and giving you stuff like straight up the Biggoron Sword from OoT. Getting the Phantom Ganon outfit was a really nice reward for doing all the labyrinths. Fighting the King Gleeok down there was really cool.

I get that the Depths was not everyone's cup of tea, but I really enjoyed it and it was actually one of my favorite elements of the game.

mantidor

Oct 25, 2017

TotK_FaroshFull.jpg

Naydra.jpg
latest

They are related to the three goddesses that created Hyrule

Din -> Dinraal
Farore -> Farosh
Nayru -> Naydra

I could swear BotW said they were avatar of the goddesses or something? I'm not sure now though.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
They are related to the three goddesses that created Hyrule

Din -> Dinraal
Farore -> Farosh
Nayru -> Naydra

I could swear BotW said they were avatar of the goddesses or something? I'm not sure now though.
They have names that are related, but I am guessing they designed the zonai to look like these three dragons intentionally.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Was watching the beginning of the game again and had my mind blown when Link hands the Master Sword to Zelda in the temple of Time, the Light dragon pierces the clouds at that exact moment.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Was watching the beginning of the game again and had my mind blown when Link hands the Master Sword to Zelda in the temple of Time, the Light dragon pierces the clouds at that exact moment.

Knowing that twist before starting the game made me much more aware of the dragon flying around the opening of the game/starting area.

NaikoGames

Aug 1, 2022
I'm the total opposite on the depths. I actually tried to explore as much of it as soon as I could, and it ended up turning out very interesting. I had a lot of moments of "Oh shit what the fuck is THAT when I could barely see three feet in front of me, even with the Miner Suit on." Seeing Colgera in the distance gave me the same vibe of seeing a Reaper Leviathan in the distance for the first time in Subnautica.

Getting the Zonai and Yiga schematics was cool and helped inspire more ideas for building vehicles or other devices, as well as just getting the diary entries from the Yiga bases. Exploring the depths also helped me fast track to getting more crystallized charges, and I could get all the Zonaite I needed really fast.

I actually discovered the Construct Factory and Spirit Temple completely out of sequence and just had the "what the hell is all this" moment as I see the terminals rejected me in the facilities, only to find out with context later on in the game.

And then you have stuff like the area under Skull Lake and giving you stuff like straight up the Biggoron Sword from OoT. Getting the Phantom Ganon outfit was a really nice reward for doing all the labyrinths. Fighting the King Gleeok down there was really cool.

I get that the Depths was not everyone's cup of tea, but I really enjoyed it and it was actually one of my favorite elements of the game.
are the construct factory and the spirit temple the same place? i just found the construct factory and im at 170 hours, it kinda blew my mind seeing this huge as shit place in the depths lmao.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
are the construct factory and the spirit temple the same place? i just found the construct factory and im at 170 hours, it kinda blew my mind seeing this huge as shit place in the depths lmao.
The Spirit Temple is kind of part of it, it's somewhat close but not joined to the construct factory. If you do the thing that actually requires you to go to the construct factory, you'll see what the spirit temple is for.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Knowing that twist before starting the game made me much more aware of the dragon flying around the opening of the game/starting area.
I like that the Light Dragon was driven by a very single-minded instinct to protect the master sword, protect Link, and defeat Ganon.

Zelda thought the whole thing felt like a nap but she was still an active participant in the final boss fight and "visited" Link when he found all the tears and first woke up.

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
More and more I am liking a combination of the "dragonbreak" theory and the other being that Ganondorf in Totk is the first incarnation of Ganondorf post Demise, and that his corpse has been influencing all Ganons and Ganondorfs in all timelines since. It also gives an intriguing idea that maybe not all Ganondorfs are reincarnations but just unfortunate souls corrupted by their ancestor.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I fully maxed out my battery yesterday. Next step is to fully map the depths. Probably around 70% so far. Then I'm gonna tackle all the shrines.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
Finally beat the game tonight after 235 hours and feel like I can finally come in this thread, so might have been mentioned a ton, but rito sage saying "Sorry to keep you waiting" Was definitely a reference to the kid Icarus uprising reveal right? Both fly and use bows. I flipped out when he said that and my wife was confused and I feel like me and eight other people got the connection.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I had literally no clue until yesterday that the trees that attack you are Yiga in disguise!!! I just thought there were evil trees in Hyrule now.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I didn't say it's a recent fabrication as of Hyrule Historia, I just said it's not something they immediately consider. Yes, plenty of games have direct references to other games, such as the obvious ones of Wind Waker and Ocarina of Time. I think BotW and TotK happen outside of any "timeline" other than of course TotK being a sequel to BotW, but if they do happen in a timeline, it certainly wasn't the first thing they were thinking of when creating it.

As someone that used to be a harder core timeline truther, I think it's time to let the thing go. They kept vague track of it, but they really didn't place a whole lot of importance on it. Now it's clearly completely out the window and that's fine, probably better actually.

steve-carell-thankyou.gif

It is absolutely not worth the amount of time it gets talked about. The timeline getting remotely referenced in cute and nice, but not especially in meaningful ways. It provides some sense of that 'Legend' I guess; you've played the games --- the details are beautifully familiar. 🍃

But I doubt Nintendo has any sort of deeper meaning in mind; or nearly as concerned for a 'master plot' of whatever sort than how the game's gonna play and bug test (I can see them building a story around decided gameplay mechanics).

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
I had literally no clue until yesterday that the trees that attack you are Yiga in disguise!!! I just thought there were evil trees in Hyrule now.
Wait, what? Where do you find this out?
There are two different things.

The Evermeans are actual tree shaped monsters.

The Yiga trees are specific forms of traps that appear near roads where three dead trees stand in a row in front of some bananas.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
There are two different things.

The Evermeans are actual tree shaped monsters.

The Yiga trees are specific forms of traps that appear near roads where three dead trees stand in a row in front of some bananas.
Yeah, I just realized that. I was mistaken.
Wait, what? Where do you find this out?
There is a Yiga journal in one of their bases in the Depths where they write about perfecting disguising as trees, but that is a reference to one of their many banana traps, not the evil trees. I was mistaken.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
Just finished the game after 150 hours and 100%ing shrines and roots.

It is now my favorite game of all time. I feared they wouldn't stick the landing after the bland ending for BotW. Instead, the final section is one of the highlights of… Nintendo games, ever.

Got a lot of thoughts, need some rest before.

CK Spider

Jan 24, 2023
Brazil
The ending to this game might be the most epic thing known to mankind. Easily top 5 game of all time, probably top 2 along Elden Ring.

Dec 5, 2017
So annoyed by the spoilers that just got posted as memes online. Didn't finish it until today but Zelda/Ganon eating the stonr both got spoiled in memes. The game took 100 hours for me, did 100 shrines and got all the roots.

Excited to peck away at the rest of it as we wait on DLC

thundersabre

Oct 20, 2021
I don't know if this has been talked about or not. In one of the cut scenes about the Imprisoning War, Ganondorf says "I've seen this before! And now Rauru!" right as Rauru attacks. How does he know what's going to happen? As far as I know it's never explained in the game.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if this has been talked about or not. In one of the cut scenes about the Imprisoning War, Ganondorf says "I've seen this before! And now Rauru!" right as Rauru attacks. How does he know what's going to happen? As far as I know it's never explained in the game.
I think he's referring to Zelda using Recall to fling the sages' weapons back at him, since he saw the same thing happen with the knife that the Puppet Zelda threw at Sonia.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
Do you guys think the original title for the game was "Tears of the Dragon?
It would explain the whole "title is a spoiler" thing there was during the pre-release marketing.

DoctorChimp

Oct 6, 2020
Texas yall
I skimmed through this thread to avoid spoilers since I still haven't beaten the game. I just wanna say, i was vehemently against weapon degradation and thought fusing two swords together was a dumb idea. Then i saw a video of fusing monster/zonai horns to weapons and it COMPLETELY changed my tune. Holy shit what a genius idea, and I felt so dumb for not figuring that out on my own. Not only do weapons look cool af, but they do insane damage and it always gives you a reason to engage with enemies. For their horns. Literally changed my experience with the game.

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
I have a theory on its placement on the timeline....take a look!

OK so my theory is that botw and totk are in the downfall timeline but only because the downfall timeline doesnt exist until the events of TOTK.. And it's all because of what happens to Zelda in Tears.

OK 2 things....

-If you consider Gannondorf as the person and Gannon as his curse then the timeline will make a bit of sense but bare with me

- There are holes in this I know lol

So in both the adult timeline and child timeline Gannondorf is destroyed by a new hero with the found Mastersword. From then on in both timelines the immortal curse still exists and resides in Ganon(4 swords) and Malladus(spirit tracks) respectively.

The point being no matter what is done to Ganondorf the curse cannot be broken by the hero and Mastersword. It will always return in some form.

OK lol so wait what timeline do the new games happen? We'll initially it doesn't matter because they're far in the future right? So what happens is that regardless of the timeline botw takes place in there are still only 2 timelines.

My theory is the "downfall" timeline doesn't exist until Zelda is sent back to the Rauru timeline...which occurs as OOT but instead of his daughter warning him it's the new Zelda and then the Tears story happens.

Between the Rauru time and current Tears time all the downfall games take place with Gannon. Maybe he's just a pig...or a Calamity.. doesn't matter, ultimately "Gannon" is the immortal curse that always returns because Ganondorf is sealed.. until finally at the end of BOTW where Gannon gives up immortality to become that dumb botw boss fight.

Ultimately this means that the downfall timeline is the result of the time travel that doesn't occur until well after the child or adult timeline.

So there are obvious holes here. Like if it's an alternate OOT that the Rauru stuff happens where's Link? And where's Rauru's zelda daughter? Again...not perfect.

StreetsAhead

Sep 16, 2020
I know you get 100 rupees for every translation, but the final reward for the Messages from an Ancient Era quest is incredibly underwhelming. I thought you might get a Zonai Survey Team hat or something, at least.

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018

TotK_FaroshFull.jpg

Naydra.jpg
latest

This is a great theory! Forgive me for adding some wild speculation, but I would like to add to that. The Zonai had an entire civilization, and, through the existence of the Lomei Castles and their rulers, implies that there were leaders among them. My addition to your theory is that when the Zonai left for the heavens and Laura and Mineru stayed behind to create Hyrule, the rulers of owls, dragons, and boars secretly swallowed their stones and became dragons to watch over the land, entrusting only Mineru with this knowledge.

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
I know you get 100 rupees for every translation, but the final reward for the Messages from an Ancient Era quest is incredibly underwhelming. I thought you might get a Zonai Survey Team hat or something, at least.
It was a really great quest with the hint towards Mineru, but yeah the reward itself could have been a bit cooler

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
I beat the game a few nights ago and just wanted to say: what a masterpiece.

I have never played something this good in my life. From beginning to end, the experience was entirely enjoyable. It perfected what Breath of the Wild brought to the table.

The ending sequence was the unbelievably incredible cherry on top. Like, I would never in my wildest dreams have even hoped for something like this. What an amazing finale to an amazing game.

EDIT: The whole ending felt like if Monolithsoft wrote it but without the inevitable "killing a god" thing

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think the story was generally as nothing as it was in BOTW, definitely as awfully structured and presented. Potentially worse since it really diminishes the impact Calamity Ganon in BOTW, honestly it made the events in BOTW feel like a waste of time lol. I guess BOTW is pointless now on the whole, story aside. Anyway whatever they do next game they need to present their story in a completely different way. Enough with this awful flashback crutch.

I liked Zelda sacrificing herself to turn into a dragon though, felt like finally she was worthy of being a "legend." Except nobody cared.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
I think the story was generally as nothing as it was in BOTW, definitely as awfully structured and presented. Potentially worse since it really diminishes the impact Calamity Ganon in BOTW, honestly it made the events in BOTW feel like a waste of time lol. I guess BOTW is pointless now on the whole, story aside. Anyway whatever they do next game they need to present their story in a completely different way. Enough with this awful flashback crutch.

I liked Zelda sacrificing herself to turn into a dragon though, felt like finally she was worthy of being a "legend." Except nobody cared.

I actually enjoyed the story but agree the pacing of it was terrible. At minimum the glyphs should've just unlocked the next memory in chronological order, instead of making each memory tied to a specific glyph. They also could've had some of the more crucial ones happen at key junctures or something like at the end of each temple so everyone saw the main parts of it. Would make the temples feel more in the flow with story progression instead of just sticking what was basically the same video after each meeting that temple sage.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017

I feel that that last part is why it hit me so hard. Nobody knows or cares. Except Link, whos actions also always seem to be lost. Ten thousand years of emptiness to do what needed to be done. Also felt revealed that it was indicated that she was not cognisant during that time as I think that would have been unnecessarily cruel.

Honestly don't think it mattered that you could unlock the tears in any order since the last one and result was still gated. Yeah you could see what was coming but it didn't lessen its impact for me when it happened.

It surpasses Wind Waker's Ganondorf speech for me as the best story moment of a Zelda game.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Thought it was cool that the rocks blocking the last two Zonai panels at the very start of the game were revealing what happened to Zelda all along.

NaikoGames

Aug 1, 2022
jesus that Zelda dragon transformation was painful as shit, never actually cried with a Zelda game but this was a first, for some reason that whole animated sequence of her was really touching.

now to explore the gerudo area...im 200 hours in...im never finishing this thing.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017