• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How does Stadia feels on regards to image quality and latency, compared to Xcloud

• Xcloud has better image quality and latency

Votes: 82 18.7%
  • Xcloud has better image quality, but Stadia has better latency

Votes: 30 6.8%
  • Xcloud has worse image quality, but better latency than Stadia

Votes: 11 2.5%
  • Stadia has better image quality and latency

Votes: 293 66.7%
  • Stadia has better image quality, but Xcloud has better latency

Votes: 9 2.1%
  • Stadia has worse image quality, but better latency than Xcloud

Votes: 14 3.2%

• Total voters

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I've only tried out xCloud briefly but the latency is definitely worse for me than Stadia. Heck, it's even worse than PS Now. Image quality was great though for the little I played although I don't use Stadia or xCloud on a 4K display. I have occasional artifacting with Stadia but xCloud looked great. To be fair, the reason the image was flawless could be that I didn't play much while I have played more Stadia to notice its flaws.

Also, don't the second and last poll option mean the same thing?

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Stadia currently has the superior technical streaming implementation. I don't think anyone could seriously deny that.

Stadia's problem is that it's kinda shit at just about everything else.

COCONUT

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
For me in Spain, Stadia is way ahead of XCloud, image quality and of course input lag, you forget you are playing in the Cloud with Stadia. With x Cloud the input is very noticeable.

Dedazen

Oct 7, 2019
xCloud is stuttery mess for me right now.
Stadia has better image quality and better latency.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Stadia remains ahead for me. For all its faults the tech backing it up has never been the issue imo.

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
xCloud is significantly worse than Stadia.

Stadia looks better, and there is no noticeable latency for me with Stadia but a ton of it with xCloud... it sucks because xCloud has so many games included while Stadia costs sooo much money to buy the games - but you get what you pay for I guess :/

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018
For me atleast xCloud and Stadia for latency are about the same, I know some people here are having issues so I guess I am located close to their servers. But stadia has better image quality

Edit: Also want to point out that I am kinda weird, where most have issues in certain products, I haven't had any. For example, I use game pass store on PC, never had a download fail on me, or really any issue besides it signing me out once in a while.

Last edited:

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Stadia is a technical marvel compared to practically all of its competition but the lineup and product strategy is terrible beyond all understanding.

Stadia is essentially always "like local" for me, I actually played Doom Eternal on it and had a great experience. XCloud is sometimes good but sometimes super choppy and always noticeably worse than native. But then the XCloud product is on another planet from Stadia so.... Wish they would get together sometime, to be honest.

Mar 8, 2018
The value of xcloud right now is the library and connection to Game Pass, more than the quality of streaming itself. There's a reason it's a perk to a broader service instead of a standalone service.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
Stadia is better in image quality and latency. With Stadia, 99% of the time it runs really well and looks great. I very clearly tell I'm streaming something with XCloud, and latency is unplayable.

Dringus

Oct 27, 2017
I only briefly messed with both and Stadia seemed superior, which didn't surprise me.

FeenixRisen

McDonalds looks really average next to Wendys
Oct 25, 2017
I was just complaining about XCloud's latency last night, so I just tried Destiny 2 via Stadia and it worked damn near natively. And I was on a mobile connection at that

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
Stadia is pretty seamless, whereas what I tried of xCloud had issues that rendered it unplayable for me.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Now that the X Blades upgrade has gone through, I'd say that XCloud now is about as good as Stadia was in Beta. The image quality is VERY good, and the input lag isn't too too bad, but it is still very noticeable.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Stadia and PSNow are both on par for me for latency (and are both completely playable).

Sadly xCloud's latency makes it unplayable for me. :(

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Stadia definitely works a lot better for me. I found xCloud quite literally unplayable due to latency. Image quality seemed about on par on xCloud as Stadia's free version, maybe a little better on Stadia. Compression is visible for both. No contest that Stadia looks better in 4K though. The latency is what kills xCloud for me, I can't play Halo or Doom on that, it was not enjoyable at all.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Video quality is about the same for me (even though I have a 3 month Pro sub which allows 4k HDR I haven't experienced that yet), which is to say it looks really good with some macroblocking in dark areas on both.

Stadia has slightly better latency though. xCloud is MUCH better now though.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
For me:

• Performance = Stadia, and by a significant margin actually — the latency is superior and the image quality is surprisingly very clean too.
  • Wealth of games/choice = xCloud, because of Game Pass.

I wouldn't have any qualms if Microsoft teams up with Google and borrow their Stadia technology instead!

Oct 28, 2017
Before the server upgrades, Stadia beat it and it wasn't even close. Afterwards, Stadia still has a slight edge, but it's actually very playable experience now on xCloud.

Exposure

Oct 25, 2017
Stadia's technically better re: latency and image quality but xCloud's way better than I was expecting from how like half of streaming Era was complaining how garbage it was.

And like Stadia's got the huge image problem both on the level everybody knows about, and on the personal level for me where it nearly completely ruined my interest in Humankind because Stadia just could not stop crashing when I was trying to play the demo and I was starting to resent everybody involved for making Stadia my only way of playing it.

ShinAmano

Oct 30, 2017
It would be just to test the image quality and latency of the service. You can have a good idea after 5 minutes of gameplay.
Maybe if I get some free time. I assume it works as good or better (based on comments here) as xcloud. I have pretty solid internet connection and I am close to large hubs.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Just tried destiny on Stadia, latency is much better than xcloud, on the other hand the library is just so much better on xcloud and the seamless transition between saves from my series x and the cloud games just makes it no contest in that regard. I use xcloud as a supplement (playing when on break at work or when my wife wants to play on the large tv) so for now it's not a problem for me. I do think they need to get much better (of course they will) since Stadia is ahead of them in just how good the cloud service is. Image quality didn't seem much better on Stadia than xcloud for me though. Again, latency was much much better.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Stadia usually works pretty well for me. xCloud seems to have major issues that render it unplayable half the time I try to use it, and even when it does work, the image quality is never on par with Stadia.

That said, there's hardly anything on Stadia I actually want to use it for lol

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018
For me:

• Performance = Stadia, and by a significant margin actually — the latency is superior and the image quality is surprisingly very clean too.
  • Wealth of games/choice = xCloud, because of Game Pass.

I wouldn't have any qualms if Microsoft teams up with Google and borrow their Stadia technology instead!
Google seems to hate Microsoft and the feeling seems pretty mutual so I don't see that happening. They do own bethesda which has their own streaming tech as well, it supposedly works really well. Curious on when or if that is being implemented, the tech was created by id so it should be good.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Stadia is better than xcloud. But maybe geforce now is as good or better than stadia?

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
I haven't tried Stadia. But PS Now was playable for me. I just tried XCloud for the first time today and had a pretty bad experience, though I wasn't playing wired.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Stadia does work a lot better in my case. I just have more faith in MS addressing xcloud's shortcomings than I do google and stadia.

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
For me atleast xCloud and Stadia for latency are about the same, I know some people here are having issues so I guess I am located close to their servers. But stadia has better image quality

Edit: Also want to point out that I am kinda weird, where most have issues in certain products, I haven't had any. For example, I use game pass store on PC, never had a download fail on me, or really any issue besides it signing me out once in a while.
Ooooh failing downloads is a thing? that happens to me more frequently than it should! it will even happen with games I've been playing for weeks, all of a sudden it will say 'download failed' and the game won't work anymore lol.

i have a lightning fast connection and nothing like this ever happens with any of my other game libraries. Glad to know I'm not alone lol

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
From my experience, Playstation Now (of all things) has far and away the best latency/lack of stutters and lag, but tends to have the worst image quality/more drops to low image quality. Stadia is the second best, and Xcloud is usually the worst of the 3, especially when it comes to latency

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
XCloud for me feel like I'm streaming someone's desktop while they remote play into their Xbox One.

Hernan532

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 30, 2020
Well like Stadia, XCloud will only be available for some regions of US , i live in Argentina so i have not a chance to try it.
But my two cents , after working with Google , AWS and Azure I have to say that Azure is the "worst" of the 3 so i expect Stadia doing better than XCloud
It's clear that the problem is the connectivity and not the processing Power, of course it matter a lot but you know what i mean.
But i see this going better in the future if MS invest on this. But like i said this is very limited to US, Canada(?) and maybe another country of EU.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Forza Horizon 4 was "badish", had a lot of artifact and input lag was there. It was playable though.

Tried out Oblivion and that played incredibly smooth and without any artifacts. Not sure if there is a difference between the versions.
Also played on my Dual Sense ontroller, that shit was really cool.

I live in germany btw.

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
I've played Destiny Stadia on my TV and on my phone and it's night and day compared to xCloud. It's basically native with my internet connection. Not that xCloud is bad since I've played a lot on it, but I hope it gets to Stadia levels soon.

panda-zebra

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Where do the 12 people who voted for the first option live? Nobody who has posted seems to have any input on that at all.

Here in NW England Stadia is better on all fronts, only heard the same from friends around the world. Neither is any use to me either way, but the quality of the service from Stadia (with a 3 month trial) was surprisingly great, xcloud was just OK (tried Destiny and Outriders with my GPU).

Oct 27, 2017
I'm completely surprised that at the reception to Stadia in comparison to Xcloud so far. Given the way I hear people talk about Xcloud & Stadia here and in other places, I would have thought that the results would be the other way around.

Is this something to do with the Stadia XCloud blades (currently) being One S units vs Stadia hardware being (relatively) beefy hardware?

Last edited:

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
For me

Latency Geforcenow >Stadia > PSnow>Xcloud
Image quality Geforcenow=stadia>Psnow=>xcloud.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Given that Stadia is running on custom hardware and requires native ports of the games that run on it, while xCloud is just a bunch of Xbox Ones in a server rack, it's not really a surprise that it's technically better right now.

But honestly all of that is irrelevant at this point, xCloud will grow and the software and hardware tech stack will steadily improve with time, while Stadia, well we all know where it's heading.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I've played both a fair amount.

Stadia is obviously, clearly better in both latency and image quality, it's really not close. Stadia was pretty damn close to native on a lot of the games I tried. There were times I wouldn't have known I was playing a streaming service. With xCloud, there's never any doubt I'm playing a streaming service.

The disappointing thing about Stadia is how fucking good the tech is, and how abandoned the service is. It's a fucking shame. For that reason I log into xCloud about once a day to do something online, usually like complete a daily objective in Red Dead Online in between meetings or something, and I haven't launched stadia once in ... 6+ months because the catalog is practically the same as it was 6 months before. xCloud keeps getting better and better, and with games adde to gamepass I have a legit reason to play the service. And with Stadia I have zero reason to login ever.

Valentonis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 8, 2020
Stadia for me, xCloud still has some kinks. Especially with controllers, for some reason whenever I pressed the ZL button on my pro controller, xCloud would react as if I right-clicked on my browser.