Strings

Oct 27, 2017
He's cool, but we have too many legendary folks to really mete it out when it comes to that sort of thing. Just sticking to Japanese artists, since I'm more familiar with them, we have:

Kini Nishimura

capcom-vs-snk-art-by-kinu-nishimura.jpg

Who did legendary work during the golden age of Capcom, and has provided rad designs for stuff like Zero Escape in recent years. Speaking of Capcom...

There's Akiman, who is responsible for recruiting Kinu, alongside his own fab work

akiman-sf2classiccharacters.jpeg

16_aki01.jpg

Kazuma Kaneko

Aza80At.jpg

latest

6syj10qyn61z.jpg

Plus, y'know, all the SMT demons.

Akihkio Yoshida

18j1v5ys7rvnxjpg.jpg

Amano, Akira Toriyama, Ayame Kojima, Tomomi Kobayashi, Nomura (fuck you, I'd put him up there for me :P), etc.

Last edited:

Allice

Oct 9, 2018
Kazuma Kaneko all day, everyday.

My copy of Kaneko Works Vol III will arrive tomorrow, yay !

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
He's definitely up there for me. Jun Suemi and Kazuma Kaneko are as well. Akihiko Yoshida used to be amazing too, his last great work was FFXIV, everything else since then has been...eh (Bravely games, Automata, Lost Order)

Jun Suemi:

DN4_5AaX4AEXPK6.jpg

30087c74c4a9bf24b256a3ac595fcc89.jpg

latest

latest

latest

But Shinkiro...

(Shinkawa is pretty damn good.)

I love all of the SNK and Capcom art too. Thinking on, I'd love to see Shinkawa do the character designs/art for an SNK or Capcom fighting game. His style would be so cool for that.

Shinkawa has this mysterious atmosphere to his art that's amazing.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
I'm a Kinu Nishimura person myself
He's cool, but we have too many legendary folks to really mete it out when it comes to that sort of thing. Just sticking to Japanese artists, since I'm more familiar with them, we have:

Kini Nishimura

capcom-vs-snk-art-by-kinu-nishimura.jpg

Who did legendary work during the golden age of Capcom, and has provided rad designs for stuff like Zero Escape in recent years. Speaking of Capcom...

There's Akiman, who is responsible for recruiting Kinu, alongside his own fab work

e5f7f5b2b82e3471c967f2530975f2f2.jpg

16_aki01.jpg

Kazuma Kaneko

Aza80At.jpg

latest

6syj10qyn61z.jpg

Plus, y'know, all the SMT demons.

Akihkio Yoshida

18j1v5ys7rvnxjpg.jpg

Amano, Akira Toriyama, Ayame Kojima, Tomomi Kobayashi, Nomura (fuck you, I'd put him up there for me :P), etc.

Co-signed.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Tied up with Amano for me. Both the metal gear and final fantasy artwork is absolutely gorgeous. I'm so glad shinkawa is doing stuff for kojima and DS

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
He's a great artist, but no.

I love Kazuma Kaneko more & others I couldn't recall, but I'm sure they are better than him, in my opinion.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whoever made the sprites for Metal Slug. Those are godly.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Is there still a chance we can get a Smash Bros poster from Shinkawa in honor of Snake returning?

I want to see a shinkawa Mario ; _ ;

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Shinkawa is so good than no one else comes even close in the gaming space. I hate his EVA x Mecha Godzilla abomination on the other hand:
7VA9k9LuEKQn1q59hpPCs13DyyvCQQ1MnvYR3NOhQPc.jpg

ItĀ“s almost as bad as Tetsuya NomuraĀ“s Batman and Catwoman. Those were the stuff of legends.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah he's absolutely brilliant. I have his MGS art tatted on my left arm, and it turned out brilliantly. Need to get more.

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hideo Minaba is one of the underrated artist but he works along side akihiko yoshida

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I can't believe his name is in the actual credits. Where's the public acknowledgment? Kojima just did a self fellating interview where George Miller calls him a master of cinematic imagery. Lol
Are you joking or something? The whole "Kojima doesn't credit his team" charade happened and was consequently debunked weeks ago. Anyway Shinkawa is currently on the media tour for the game. Look at him being miserable with Kojima stealing all the credit.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
absolutely wild that there's people out there still peddling the "kojima hogs too much credit" myth when MGSV is the only game from the past ten years i can think of that has individual credits for who worked on each specific mission and part of the game, and shows them both before and after each mission

Type422

Nov 28, 2017
Are you joking or something? The whole "Kojima doesn't credit his team" charade happened and was consequently debunked weeks ago. Anyway Shinkawa is currently on the media tour for the game. Look at him being miserable with Kojima stealing all the credit.

The Kojima hate here is strong so statements like the one you quoted don't surprise me...

STech

Sep 24, 2018
Yeah, there are lot of good artist out there, but Yoji is something else. He has an unique talent and style.

I love his drawings. It's incredible seeing him at work.

Dec 6, 2017
US

He fucking hates it. If it weren't for Kojima beating him with a stick before crediting himself with all character design, he would've quit in 1999.

I swear this Evil Kojima meme on ERA is so out of control, people literally invent entire scenarios in their heads. MGSV went so far as to credit every single person on EVERY MISSION!

It's getting...weird...and I'm far from a Kojima fanboy of any sort.

On topic: it's crazy I don't know From's designers' names because their work, especially on Bloodborne and DSIII, is absolutely off the charts. I frequently found myself just staring at bosses and what not.

No42.05W70.2

Banned
Jun 14, 2018

It's not debunked if the studio is called Kojima productions but the entire production rests on a different persons creative vision.

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I can't believe his name is in the actual credits. Where's the public acknowledgment? Kojima just did a self fellating interview where George Miller calls him a master of cinematic imagery. Lol
What? Kojima is famous for giving his staff tons of credits at every turn, and has made Shinkawa one of the most publicized and admired artists in gaming history.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely has one of the most iconic and unique artstyles.

Though I think visual art is too subjective a thing that one can reasonably talk about someone being the greatest in that area

turbobutts

Oct 25, 2017
he's amazing and its a crime that konami/kojima hasn't made his art the boxart since... what, MGS2 in the US?

TheJollyCorner

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Yoshitaka Amano.

The man has art galleries all over the world. Art galleries, yo.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
It's not debunked if the studio is called Kojima productions but the entire production rests on a different persons creative vision.

What are you talking about? Kojima created the studio, produced the game, designed the mechanics, wrote it, and directed it, including directing actors on the set. What "different persons creative vision" is the entire production resting on?