Deleted member 42221

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
If it means I can get Metroid Prime 4 AND Star Fox Grand Prix, yeah, I'm down. Reduces the opportunity cost with developers working on certain games. Nintendo can diversify more.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Give me their latest game that inspires confidence that they can develop a premiere first person adventure game.
They aren't doing the design, just the foundational work.

As a Japanese studio, they dont make many First Person games. They did Breakdown back in the day, but I honestly can't think of another first person title they've done. Not that it matters much, considering Nintendo rarely does first person style games either. As for single player games, they make plenty. God Eater, Tales of, a variety of anime games (One Piece, Dragon Ball, etc.), Ace Combat, Code Vein.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Because Nintendo fanchildren who haven't the remotest idea how the industry works want to worship hero developers (who are basically now glorified project managers).

News flash, a lot of Mario Odyssey and Zelda BotW was outsourced too.
Practically the only people who can even point at specific elements of BoTW's design and say "that was outsourced" and to whom... are the same 'Nintendo fanchildren' you're calling out with this post. I recall many being hyped because of the implication that MonolithSoft (and not Koh Kojima or Yasuyuki Honne, just 'MonolithSoft'), that group of developers, would be helping with the world design.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't a fan of it back with Star Fox Assault. Smash 4 was great, though.

I don't know, I guess I'll see how Metroid Prime 4 turns out before I know whether it was a good move or not. But it's a smart move in theory.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a byproduct of Iwata's giving every Nintendo team to a Nintendo franchise + key people behind the original Prime Trilogy leaving Retro. Like EAD3 was "the Zelda team" and EAD Tokyo "the 3D Mario team", Retro was the "Metroid Prime team", but the people who made the Trilogy aren't on Retro anymore. So, with every internal team working on their main franchise (Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing, Kart etc.) and their side-project (for example ARMS for the Kart Team), Nintendo doesn't have an internal team for Metroid Prime anymore. I'm confident they chose Namco because they feel they are the right team for the game they (= Tanabe) have in mind.

Wrong. There's many people that worked on Metroid Prime still on Retro.

All the Senior/Lead positions at Retro nowadays

Prime Series Veterans

President
Michael Kelbaught - Prime 2

Game Director
Ryan Harris - Prime

Creative Director
Vince Joly - Prime 2

Audio Director
Scott Petterson - Prime 2

Lead Programmer
Aaron Walker - Prime 3

Art & Animation Manager
Will Bate - Metroid Prime 3

Lead Artist
Ryan Powell - Prime

Lead Effects Artist
Chuck Crist - Prime

Principal Animator
Dax Pallotta - Prime

Senior Enviromment Artist
Teague Schultz - Prime 2
Sean Horton - Prime 2

Senior Programmers
Jim Gage - Prime
Alexander Quinones - Prime
John Sheblak - Prime Trilogy

Design Supervisor
Bill Vanvervoot - Prime 3

Senior Designer
Russel O Henly - Prime 2

Senior Animator
Stephen Zapros - Prime

Operations Director
Kellie Prinz Johnson - Prime 2

Al Artus
Facilities Manager - Prime

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
For me it will depend on how Metroid Prime 4 ends up. That's the test for me. They knock that out of the park and they have my complete trust.

I also want Nintendo to build/work with more western studios like Retro. If they had a couple more studios like Retro I think they would be able to plug even more of the last few holes in their annual schedules. They've got the money. I want them to put it to use.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just FYI, that wouldn't be the reason, just an additional incentive.

Nintendo owns a stake in Square Enix and that hasn't resulted in anything.
Square Enix has made multiple games with Nintendo, not to mention Nintendo publishing many of their titles in the west. Octopath Traveler being the most recent example.

Oct 27, 2017
Wrong. There's many people that worked on Metroid Prime still on Retro.

All the Senior/Lead positions at Retro nowadays

Prime Series Veterans

President
Michael Kelbaught - Prime 2

Game Director
Ryan Harris - Prime

Creative Director
Vince Joly - Prime 2

Audio Director
Scott Petterson - Prime 2

Lead Programmer
Aaron Walker - Prime 3

Art & Animation Manager
Will Bate - Metroid Prime 3

Lead Artist
Ryan Powell - Prime

Lead Effects Artist
Chuck Crist - Prime

Principal Animator
Dax Pallotta - Prime

Senior Enviromment Artist
Teague Schultz - Prime 2
Sean Horton - Prime 2

Senior Programmers
Jim Gage - Prime
Alexander Quinones - Prime
John Sheblak - Prime Trilogy

Design Supervisor
Bill Vanvervoot - Prime 3

Senior Designer
Russel O Henly - Prime 2

Senior Animator
Stephen Zapros - Prime

Operations Director
Kellie Prinz Johnson - Prime 2

Al Artus
Facilities Manager - Prime
Some people left, some remained - the point is, current Retro isn't the Retro who made MPT. (Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, neither a good one)

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo usually has tight quality control and as long that's the case outsourcing isn't a problem.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How dare Nintendo let other devs to make great games using their brand names, filling the Switch with must play stuff. The nerve!

I'm all for more Zeldas developed by Capcom.
The director for both Oracle games and Minsih Cap was the director of BotW though.
I doubt todays Capcom would have it in them tbh.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Why not?

It's a win/win for everyone. Nintendo gets the most from the deal, as they get to continue to leverage their popular IPs and make money, Namco gets to broaden their portfolio of work and deepen their partnership with Nintendo, while strengthening their appeal to other first party publishers (like Sony and Microsoft), who may see the work they're doing with Nintendo and want to see if Namco can work their magic on their platforms, and consumers get more games to play on their Switch, which is in dire need of more titles after a fairly anemic second year by comparison to the other publishing houses.

I'm excited for both Smash and Metroid, but I'm curious why it's an implied negative that Nintendo isn't making every single game in house.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I've not seen much commentary on ResetEra about this, and it's surprised me.

Why exactly is the Nintendo fanbase okay with Nintendo outsourcing games like Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and Metroid Prime 4 to 3rd party Bandai Namco Studios?

And where does it go from here? If SSBU and MP4 are superhits, will Nintendo ever hand over Mario or Zelda?

Smash was never made internally at Nintendo, so it doesn't matter who does the work as long as Sakurai is involved.

Metroid has never been the biggest seller. Also, titles that don't come from Miyamoto's team or titles that were born from Gunpei Yokoi's team (Metroid, Kid Icarus, most of the early GB games) don't necessarily get the same zealousness as Mario/Zelda, so it's okay if other companies try their hand at it.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
What has Nintendo even made in house for 2018 anyway?

Sushi striker and labo.

Tennis is Camelot.
Bayo 2 platinum
Kirby hal
Dk retro
Hyrule warriors koie

Byakura

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
it's fine with me as long as it results in great games, and has so far, and I don't see that changing.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017

Why exactly is the Nintendo fanbase okay with Nintendo outsourcing games like Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and Metroid Prime 4 to 3rd party Bandai Namco Studios?

And where does it go from here? If SSBU and MP4 are superhits, will Nintendo ever hand over Mario or Zelda?

If they can put out a product on par with what Nintendo or other studios (in this case, HAL) can put out, then I don't see why it's a problem.

With regards to something like Prime 4, there's no guarantee that it would be made otherwise, so I'd rather be okay with getting something as opposed to being unsure if we are getting anything at all.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They aren't doing the design, just the foundational work.

As a Japanese studio, they dont make many First Person games. They did Breakdown back in the day, but I honestly can't think of another first person title they've done. Not that it matters much, considering Nintendo rarely does first person style games either. As for single player games, they make plenty. God Eater, Tales of, a variety of anime games (One Piece, Dragon Ball, etc.), Ace Combat, Code Vein.

Just a correction but they don't make god Eater, One Piece and Dragon Ball, those are external development.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, is this really outsourcing when Bandai Namco is the actual developer? It's just external development.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017

I think you're assuming a lot about how much of the workload BN is handling.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Prime 4 still doesn't have a verified dev and they are only assisting with Smash its not made entirely by Namco's teams.

Last edited:

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo outsources to other companies all the time, Capcom did the Oracle Zelda games, Sega did F-zero GX, Namco also did Star Fox Assault, it's pretty much a normal industry practice.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I think they should do that much more. They're not getting satisfactory third party support and as a result, their lineup is trash when the first party studios don't have anything to release. Nintendo has money; I'd like them to use it to outsource more games, possibly new IPs by studios which value their freedom as Platinum.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Being skeptical of retro was merited.
Sometimes baggage is worse than no experience.
Retro had a shit ton of baggage before getting prime and was absolutely horribly run up to that point (though granted a lot of that might not have been public knowledge at the time). Unless you're suggesting the ones with baggage were Retro and not BN

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think they should do that much more. They're not getting satisfactory third party support and as a result, their lineup is trash when the first party studios don't have anything to release. Nintendo has money; I'd like them to use it to outsource more games, possibly new IPs by studios which value their freedom as Platinum.

What? lol What are you talking about? Nintendo only have 4 studios and only three of them are lead developers. Their division of development Nintendo EPD don't release that many games per year and their past ones which were EAD and SPD also didn't. Most of what Nintendo publish and published in their history are made by external developers aka third party companies.

Just look at their release in history and you'll see that Nintendo already does it.

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Will MP4 be one of the first-ever Japanese-developed FPS games? That should be cool.

Regardless, as others have mentioned, they did a great job on Smash 4 so keep it coming!

Piscus

Oct 27, 2017
Wish Namco repaid Nintendo by bringing over some of their own games. Dragonball FighterZ is coming late, no Tekken, no Soul Caliber, no whatever that one anime dystopian looking title is, etc.