• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cool, but they gotta find a way for me to dump my games first, easily. Not gonna bother playing my games in an emulator if it's difficulty to dump them.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda fascinating that there is already enough information about the PS4 OS for this kind of approach to work. I would have expected this only years after the hardware is no longer supported, when many unpatched hacks allow people to inspect both hardware and software.
Still, I really wouldn't expect this to run commercial games in this decade. Maybe in the late 2020s.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
The 360 was less complex and emulation isn't any better, you're not gonna have perfect ps4 emulation within the next 10 years, if ever. As you said in regards to PS3, most of the must haves will probably be playable in a better way on PS5. BB is gonna be one of those games Sony will revisit.
"You'll need a PS5 with a legit step forward cpu wise minimum"
A next gen netbook cpu will suffice, as the netbook cpu in PS4 is able to run some of the biggest games last gen in 1080p60. Not that it will get a netbook cpu again, it'll get a great ryzen cpu.

These consoles need support. The projects need people actually working on them to get done. I think it mostly lies on the popularity of the exclusives and the community behind it. You can point out one emulator that's behind, but there's several I've listed that have made amazing progress and some even in a short period of time (cemu being the best example of that). I'm not saying it's going to be soon or anything, but If the project has good support and a lot of help, it could progress nicely in a few years. A lot of the times too they make the most popular games compatible first and bloodborne would be at the top of the last just like BoTW was running 4k60 fps will the full game complete before a lot of other titles got finished (and just like Demon Soul's is on the PS3 emulator). I do think the PS5 will be solid, but what I don't know is if Sony is going to have backward compatibility and what year would From Software release a remastered version of bloodborne considering demon souls isn't remastered yet either and that came out a long time ago. Either way! I'm excited by the idea of a new emulator that could do that for every game and not just ones publishers select and even if it did take as long as 5-10 years it will be cool to have. The additional features and modifications are also a nice touch.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
No, i mean HACKING ps4 Games
Considering that people are still cheating in GTA5, I think hacking has been around for awhile now. An emulator wouldn't change that, nor would an emulator mean anything for the actual console.

Even if we could play PS4 games perfectly tomorrow, actual emulator to console crossplay would still be a ways out.

Jacob LeBeau

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
Considering that people are still cheating in GTA5, I think hacking has been around for awhile now. An emulator wouldn't change that, nor would an emulator mean anything for the actual console.

Even if we could play PS4 games perfectly tomorrow, actual emulator to console crossplay would still be a ways out.
Not THAT type of hacking, like...y'know...this

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The guy you quoted said that he didn't want to spend on a console but just buy the games for it. If everyone did that, consoles would die.

Nah. Xbox One's still sell despite the having Play Anywhere for their games. The average console gamer doesn't want to buy a gaming PC. Hell, the average joe doesn't want a PC period. Maybe a laptop if needed for school or working at home. Others are fine with just phones/tablets.

Gaming will eventually get to where most gamers are available on a variety of platforms anyway as the real money is in software. Only Nintendo sales hardware at a profit day one. MS has no reason to care whether someone buys Halo 6 on Xbox ONe or PC or plays it on both with their play anywhere. They just want that $60. I'm honeslty surprised Sony hasn't launched their own PC storefront. The console crowd will still buy their hardware and the games there, and they could sell their exclusives to the PC only crowd without losing a cut to Valve etc.

Everything will probably be cloud based eventually as well, but internet capacity and availability is a long way from that.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, as this thing is based off QEMU, I really wouldn't expect something high performance from this anytime soon. It could provide an interesting basis for other projects, as the basic work in understanding the firmware and OS will likely be useful for other emulators. But to get really good performance, like say CEMU or RPCS3, you probably want something coded from scratch, even if it is "just" emulating the OS on a high level like CEMU does.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Excellent.

One step closer to playing P.T.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
welp i guess we can finally get 60fps on some of the more demanding games, that the ps4 cant offer... In 12 years from now.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's kinda fascinating that there is already enough information about the PS4 OS for this kind of approach to work. I would have expected this only years after the hardware is no longer supported, when many unpatched hacks allow people to inspect both hardware and software.
Still, I really wouldn't expect this to run commercial games in this decade. Maybe in the late 2020s.
5.0 is completely hacked or at least the "kernel" is from what I recall.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
is P.T on the net? last i heard nobody had dumped it yet
tumblr_owgb7irdL81v8pjpxo1_400.gif

Rex1157

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
So what is the emulator in that video doing exactly? Is it running some kind of command line operating system Linux style?

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing, obviously not up to snuff yet, but good to know something is being worked on.

I assume development should end up being quicker than let's say RPCS3 since the PS4's architecture is closer to PCs, still, I don't feel the necessity to play with it ASAP since PS4/PS4P offers great IQ, that goes without saying that the PC that will be needed to run that correctly in a few years will probably need to be top notch.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Few facts [for US and probably EU market]:

Emulators are legal [Sony lost big time when they sued against PS1 emulators]
Emulators can be marketed as being able to produce better image/framerate than consoles
Emulators can be SOLD as premium software products
Emulators cannot use proprietary code [they have to be custom written], but users can extract from console what they need [BIOS and GAME data]
Emulators cannot use base console game media for marketing [screenshots/comparisons]

Deleted member 34239

Banned
Nov 24, 2017
User warned: Don't attempt to derail a thread by equating emulation with piracy.
The ps4 introduced the next generation of consoles, it's only fair that orbital introduces the next generation of pirates......

Mar 23, 2018
This is the most interesting part to me. Does this mean it's like VirtualBox or VMWare?

I was very interested in this part, so I went and checked the comments/replies from the developer himself

Exactly. A high-level PS4 emulator would be like WINE, and would similarly focus in reimplementing kernel interfaces (syscall), system services and libraries.

However, Orbital is a low-level emulator, which means we have to reimplement the console's hardware (GPU, Aeolia "southbridge", etc.) so that the entire kernel can be emulated on top of that (therefore dumping/decrypting the kernel is required to use the emulator).